This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clunking in steering

My entire steering assembly had to be removed and re-installed in my 6, the spline shafts were basically smashed together instead of being lined up like they should then installed. Car was in the shop for 4 days but it fixed the issue. My Fiance's 07 Aura has the same clunk but we're gonna trade it in soon so I'm not worried about taking it in.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I just bought my G6 used last night and it started to clunk. Its an 07 and I knew the all to familiar clunking. In 2001 I had purchased a 2001 Impala LS fully loaded and the clunking has been the bane of my 8 year ownership of the vehicle. I've had 3 Intermediate Steering Shafts replaced and more than a dozen lube jobs done on the ISS's. The car is still with me(90k) and still does the clunking. A buddies 99 Cavalier had the clunking as well. It is a wide spread problem except with the 99 and previous Grand Prix's.

There is more to the clunking than just the ISS I believe. Someone had mentioned the joints being dried at the connection point(almost like a U-joint). I'll have to throw my car on a lift this weekend and see whats up. If anything I may have some warranty left on it, only has 30k and we are only a few months into 2010. Maybe I'll have them scope it out and see if anything has changed.

Comment

pm me your vin and i can tell you when the warrenty gives out

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Ill shoot it over in a bit, im at work, next break I take i'll grab it. I appreciate it, hopefully its not done with

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

they stock it because they get replaced so much. the TSB says to lube it but that doesnt fix it for long so they just get repalced[/quote]

ok i been reading a bunch about this steering shaft problem. I have the same problem and i never had a clue wat that noise was, its prety anoying! and i don't know if is something i have to get fix ASAP or nothing is going to happened if i dont fix it. so I have some questions.. Do I need to fix it asap? wat will happened if i dont fix it? and around how much is it, if i need to fix it?
              oh yea and wat is it called?

THanks

Comment

You can let it go for a bit but I would recommend you lube it or replace it. Someone mentioned that Napa has a revision that is better than GM's. I've replaced 3 ISS's on my Impala and lubed it god knows how many times but it always came back. When I tried to complain to Crystal Williams at GM HQ she said I could consider it as regular maintenance on a car.. She got an ear full, but never resolved anything.

Check Napa, i'd buy the lube and the replacement and do it. Or use motorcycle chain oil to lube it as i read on another forum, it resolved a guys problem for quite a while. Careful when you apply it because I heard its some sticky s***.

Comment

they just replaced my steering colum, no prob, took a few hrs and warranty covered, car is clunk free, FOR NOW.

Comment

my 06 G6 had this cluck up to is untimely death at 105000 miles.

My 09 G6 has no steering wheel noise and is clunk free!
                    "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

• Re: Clunking in steering

They have redesigned the steering shaft so new replacements won't do it anymore. I had the new one installed last time they changed it out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

my steering wheel has started to get shaky at low speeds, especially between 35-40mph. Is this the same experience some of u guys are having?
                        V.M.S. 93 Stealth ECM/TCM....
                        Red Duplicolor calipers...
                        Royal Purple 5W30..
                        Crab Cab 04.

Comment

Originally posted by tonedef View Post
                          my steering wheel has started to get shaky at low speeds, especially between 35-40mph. Is this the same experience some of u guys are having?
                          no that sounds like tire balancing.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Just started having this clunking in my 07 Aura. Anyone have a picture of the ISS and removal instructions? I found one in a 09.5G6 that I am considering grabbing as I believe it's the new design.
                            2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

I have a problem of clunking but I'm out of warranty though...
                              http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=1623464

Comment

Okay, so I had a minor clunk when I bought my car - I lubed it up and stopped the problem. I took my car to dealership awhile back and they replaced the shaft, without telling me, because of the service bulletin. Now I have a clunk that I'm not to sure about. It seems to only happen when I'm reversing while turning. Makes two clunking sounds right after another. When I throw it in drive and turn there is no sound.

Should I have them replace the shaft again or is this something else?

Comment

Working...
                                X