This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official Oil change discussion

I love K&N Filters, but it seems that the ones for the 3.6 are pretty rare in stores around here, and I can never get one when I wanted, so, I ended up switching to Wix. I think for normal driving, it won't make too much of a difference, but if you run her hard I would go with K&N.

I also read somewhere that Mobil1 and Wix are pretty much the second best you can go with in terms of solid construction. Delco is mediocre, Fram are the worst. Basically, the thing that I read sets K&N above all else is not so much the filtering ability (which is as-good or better than most other filters), but the fact that they are built like a brick shithouse internallly and externally. Wix/Mobil1 fillter as-good as K&N, but are not as robust (plastic internal as opposed to metal). Frams are pretty much cardboard contruction inside and less filter media.

Also, gave Skaði a transfusion last night. Wix oil and air filter, Mobile1 Supersyn oil, and just a bit of TLC for everything (also checked the wear on the EBC Greenstuffs used with th Cquence Absolut Cross slotted/dimpled rotors--looking good for a year of wear). She seemed to appreciate it
    "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
    ~~GWAR's description of Hell
    Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Army91B View Post
      i seen it a few times working at jiffy lube. though im afraid it might be something else causing it to come on, but it only occured right before my first oil change
      ive never seen it working at a dealer

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn View Post
        ive never seen it working at a dealer
        i could verify better if i could remember what cars it happened with.
        with my car though i think its electrical. my data plug connection thing is all retarded i think.

Comment

Switching to synthetic oil on our G6, a friend of mine told me I needed to "flush the engine" once I drain the old oil for 20 minutes or so, before adding the new synthetic oil... Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by echoDreamz View Post
            Switching to synthetic oil on our G6, a friend of mine told me I needed to "flush the engine" once I drain the old oil for 20 minutes or so, before adding the new synthetic oil... Is this true?
            nope.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by zlatsky View Post
              nope.
              I thought so... even saw http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...hservices.html seems like a bogus recommendation. Though the fuel system cleaner scares me... I have been using those in my cars since I was able to drive....

Comment

use Sea Foam. its the best stuff out on the market for cleaning engine oil, fuel injectors and a bunch of other stuff. you can pick it up at wal-mart or your local car parts place.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                Originally posted by ahuhn
                so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

And it is safe, obviously you wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't, but I am not exactly an expert like you guys so

Comment

Originally posted by echoDreamz View Post
                    And it is safe, obviously you wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't, but I am not exactly an expert like you guys so
                    I have been using it in my car for a about 2years now. I dump a 1 can into the gas tank. and another can to put some into the crank case (I do it close to an oil change) and a little in the vacuum line. there are also tons of older guys who have been using it for many years. oldmanvette1975 is the guy who turned me on to it

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                    so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

So a full can on the fuel tank (I assume on a full tank). Then what half a can in the oil and the rest in the PCV valve (I assume the line coming off the brake booster?)?

Sorry if I am not the most technical of all users, but I just want to make sure it runs well, and is in top-notch shape.

Comment

yes, but have to get the proper measurements for how much to add to the oil and how much to add the to vacuum line. yes the one attached to the brake booster. all the instructions are listed on the can.
                        this is what the can looks like

Comment

I've read they make a spray too, that can be "attached" to the intake boot and sprayed into the intake while the car is running rather than using the PCV valve. Is this true as well?

Comment

i think that's called seafoam deep creep. i used it with a toothbrush to clean the inside of my throttle body.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

you can switch to any oil and even mix oils without flushing the engine. dont let anyone tell you otherwise
                              also, not so much with your g6 but becareful when using seafoam on older cars.
                              my grandfather who was a mechanic for a long time always told my dad "if the engines full of muck and dirt, keep it that way. its plugging something"
                              i seafoamed my 95 grand cherokee and opened up an oil leak in the rear main seal.
                              and deep creep is amazing, works wonders.

Comment

well I wouldnt mix standard oil with synthetic oil, or mix the oil weights, but mixing the same weight of oil across the brands and same class of oil is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X