Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Install Koni Yellow Sport Dampers

Originally posted by RedMoon Roku View Post
    Thread Revival - This is a good how to thread. I just installed the rear dampers today and I'm planning to start on the front struts sometime before the weekend. I just need to find a pair of used struts housings for extra insurance in case I mess up the cuts for the inserts.
    Yeah second set to cut up is definitely the way to go. You can prepare the inserts before hand and then just bolt them up like normal struts when you're ready to do the install, less down time that way. Might as well repaint the housings when you have them stripped down, fend off the rust a little longer... Also don't forget red Loctite for the bottom bolt, and be sure to torque it to 55 ft-lbs, these are probably the two most important steps... How do you like the rears so far?
    Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

The rears feel fine but until I get the front struts fully installed I'll know the difference. I couldn't find spare struts so I had to cut the ones I had. The cuts on top of the strut housings weren't pretty but the inserts went in nice and flush. Although I had to use a rubber mallet the carefully drive in the insert. I have to do the painting next with the struts inside. I'll border everything with masking tape wait a few hours and the rest shouldn't be too hard. I posted my work on the G6 Owners Club Facebook page.
      Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator
      Roku's progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...36&pagenumber=

Comment

Finished it! I will test drive it tomorrow fingers crossed for no problems. The paint didn't match the strut inserts or the shocks in the back but it's close enough. I kind of rushed the paint drying process so the strut housing may need some serious touching up. I'll post pics of this on my progression page later. Assuming I don't run into any problems with the suspension.
        Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator

Comment

Wouldn't have needed the mallet if you got that extra bolt like I had ... and what paint did you use? The one I had wasn't exact, but its like 95% of the way there
          Mods: BMD Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

Oddly enough when I installed the inserts, I did that, but the insert kept spinning inside. The upper part on the insert where the four hump things are made it real snug inside the housing and it wasn't fully seated. So I carefully used a combination of a mallet and a wooden post from the fence of my house to drive the insert in. The wooden post was easier on me since using the mallet gave me a mad blister on my hand. Anyway after the installation, I test drove the car and felt a great difference. The car was more responsive when I made turns and the bumps weren't as harsh. I don't have to brace myself as much when I drive over railroad crossings or roads riddled with potholes and stuff. I have a slight issue though. There is a small metal thumping sound when the car is motion, slowing down, and when making turns but I don't think it's the struts. I'll look into this later. Also another question, do those white discs that came bagged with the nut and damper adjuster knob go to something on the struts? I have no clue where those go on the strut assembly.

Comment

Check to make sure everything is tight. Did you use red Loctite and a torque wrench on the bottom bolt? If not then the inserts could be loose in the housing. Also check the nut on the top at the strut mount, torque wrench on that too. Either one of those is going to cause a noise... But yes you need those white discs. Fix that ASAP. They slide down over the piston, and go underneath the bumpstop but on top of the damper... If you look at them they have grooves in them, they let air in and prevent suction from forming. If you hit the bumpstops, when they rebound they can essentially pull a vacuum on the top of the strut, it can be strong enough to pull the piston seal out and blow out the struts, those little grooves in the white discs prevent that though. Hope I explained that alright?

My Progression

BMD Performance products

Comment

I'm debating installing the Koni rears vs some Monroe sensatrack. I drive 80 miles each day to/from work and the Koni Yellow's up front are a little harsh on the middle setting. I'm concerned the Koni yellow rears will be a little harsh as I believe they come preset to the equivalent of the middle front setting. Is this a correct assessment of the rear stiffnes or are they softer/harder than the front on the middle setting.
                How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
                  Alrighty so today at lunch I had SEARS do a alignment on there brand-new Hawkeye system and it probably was the best alignment I've ever had. This new hawkeye has so many more options now it's nuts. The alignment guy also seemed to know his shit.

Alignment results:

Bryant recommended I go one full turn past full soft on the front but everyone is different. I'm settled on 1/2 turn past full soft and it really feel GREAT! - I've totally forgotten I have lower springs in my car now, it's like running on a pillow. I really can't talk more highly about this Complete Koni conversion than I can... all I can say is the ride is utterly amazing!

Chris just replied to my progression so I'll have the WAMS soon but gosh the car already feels like a million dollars, a tune gosh i may have a orgasm.

Tonight i was able to stay on the ass of a Audi A6 3.0T and he was trying to out-pace me but every 75+ MPH 3 lane shift he tried i was in tow the entire time and absolutely no lack of confidence in the whole ordeal. it was utterly amazing...

I won't be writing up a sheet on how I did my install, I copied Bryant's install to the letter and it turned out great. I'm still in shock at how awesome my car felt tonight even with the 15 mph crosswind on I-87/I-84 on my 1:30 ride back from the Corporate office in Moonachie, NJ.

If you guys want something that will truly make your car stand-out; do this conversion....

Bryant, thanks again my friend. I love that you had to be the pilot program this is by far the best thing for our G6's....
                  How are the Koni suspension feeling now? I have the koni shocks and struts sitting in my shopping cart waiting on me to checkout. I'm curious to know how they are holding up on lowered springs? Did you go the expected life span in mileage on the Konis? Or can anyone tell me about theirs? Same question to anyone with Koni suspension?

Comment

if you have them in the rear you should set them at 1.75 past full soft and then you will be adjusting the fronts for a while until you find your comfort zone.

As far as quality, 85k on them and they are still strong. will probably need to re-do my rear by another .5 though in a few months when I re-do my rear everything, I kind of like stiff...
                    Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
                      if you have them in the rear you should set them at 1.75 past full soft and then you will be adjusting the fronts for a while until you find your comfort zone.

As far as quality, 85k on them and they are still strong. will probably need to re-do my rear by another .5 though in a few months when I re-do my rear everything, I kind of like stiff...
                      Thanks for letting me know. I will be getting Vogtland springs soon and possibly the Konis too. if not, the first of march we will. I am still trying to find me a pair of strut housings to practice on. But I could practice on one I believe? How much of a drop can the struts and shocks handle?

Comment

35MM i think.

Comment

Originally posted by tylertlc View Post
                          35MM i think.
                          hmm, okay. I will have to keep a watch on this. I am not sure of the drop on the Vogtland springs that I am getting. I will have to measure this when I get them on and see just how much of a drop from the bottom of the fender down to the bottom of the wheels.

Comment

How many camber alignment bolts do I need? Also, what length of these should I get?

Comment

Very nice thread. I'm new to this g6 and I was going to use the adjustable coilovers but I believe I'm going to run this setup. Being in NY deathmage how does it handle with this weather. I'm also in NY.

Comment

One more question for all my sexy G6'rs. Is it necessary to get adjustable end links for the front and rear when being lowered?

Comment

Working...
                                X