Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raging's Interior Lighting Project (Trunk finished pg 7 pix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Raging's Interior Lighting Project (Trunk fini

Originally posted by snowmanG6
    Originally posted by mike91y2k
    i'm loving this project.

you got some serious soldering and wiring skills my friend
    that or alot of wire nuts and electrical tape

nope, no wire nuts here. all soldering. not great soldering, but soldering. i also put hot melt glue over my solder joints to help hold them together...

oh, there was a shitload of electrical tape involved though...
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

• Re: Raging's Interior Lighting Project (Trunk finished pg 7 pix)

Ok, so i still haven't found my missing SD card. So no pics yet.

Figured I'd update on the remaining phases in my grand project.

* I've found a "glitch" in my trunk lighting setup. For some odd reason, when I pop the trunk via remote, and haven't first unlocked the car, the lights don't come on at full brightness (as if the car is still in rundown protection mode). If I unlock, then pop the trunk, all is fine. Not 100% sure of the reason for this, but I suspect the solution will be to simply use the trunk signal to trip a relay and then wire the lighting straight to power. This is not "uber-high" priority though, because the lights work, just not entirely the way i want them to.

I have another $100 in parts coming later this week. They will be used for the following:

* A flexible LED ribbon will be mounted inside the rear license plate lamp holder to replace my yellow and nasty LP light.

* I will replace my crappy LED cluster currently illuminating the shifter bin with 2 flexible red LED ribbons.

* I am going to install a few LED floods under the hood, connected to a pin switch, to illuminate the engine bay for working under there in insufficient lighting conditions. It will all be connected through a manual switch - position yet to be determined (either under the hood or in the driver footwell) - which I can use to disable them when I am going in for service, etc. to avoid killing the battery.

* I picked up a crapload of potientiometers at the rat shack. I am going to install one on the LEDs in the shifter bin so I can dim them to match the lighting level of the dash illumination. Otherwise, the LED strips will be so bright it will be distracting.

* I'm going to wire some relays and some more potentiometers to the lower lighting areas (footwells, under seats, and rear bench). I'm going to wire those lights into the dash backlighting. So that way, all my footwell/seat/bench lighting comes on with the headlights/dash lights at night. BUT, it's going to be dimmed output, so that it's just a minimal amount of light, just enough for "mood" lighting, not so much it is distracting. The kicker is, that if either map light up front (or the main cabin light) are turned on, that respective channel will be switched to full brightness. When the switch/light is turned back off, the lighting will resume it's dimmed state. Of course, I'll be able to turn off all this lighting with another override switch.

So yeah, as of now, that's my project planner.

And yeah, my intentions are to have this all done in time for NYAS!
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Rear plate LEDs installed!
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
          Rear plate LEDs installed!

LOL

Everything looks awesome man!!!

I am starting to think I want to do something to add some more like in the car

Keith

__________________________________________________ _________________
          Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's
          In Progress:: Katskinz... Half way there! Painted trim

Comment

Replacement shifter bin lighting DONE!

Oh, and did I mention, I threw on a dimmer so I can dim it to be of equal brightness as the rest of the I/P?

Now all I need to do is fix my trunk glitch, figure out my theater lighting plan for the interior, and do the engine bay.

2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Pix:

my converted rear plate assembly:

my new shifter bin lighting:

The blue dial is the dimmer so i can control brightness.

Here's the brightest setting:

Here's the lowest setting:
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

• Re: Raging's Interior Lighting "Enhancements"...

Mike you're going to have fun when a circuit shorts out and have to rewire.
                See that shit? I fucking cursed myself by saying that. Son of a bitch.

Anyways, I think I'll be attempting this project after my rims and tires. I just won't be doing the channel map light system. I dropped something in the car the other day, couldn't find it because it was so dim. And if I follow what you did, the inside of my car will be brighter than the sun.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

• Re: Raging's Interior Lighting "Enhancements"...

Mike you're going to have fun when a circuit shorts out and have to rewire.
                  See that shit? I fucking cursed myself by saying that. Son of a bitch.

Anyways, I think I'll be attempting this project after my rims and tires. I just won't be doing the channel map light system. I dropped something in the car the other day, couldn't find it because it was so dim. And if I follow what you did, the inside of my car will be brighter than the sun.

The dual-channel system isn't really hard at all, just requires some extra wire runs up the pillars to the domes. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
                  2009 PONTIAC G8
                  MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                  X