This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TLS2000
    Does anyone remember the strut bar that someone released for the Grand Am that was denting people's hoods?

This is now a concern for me with this strut bar!
    The brace for the GA cleared the hood,but that was designed for the car. The bar being used for the G6, just touches the hood. All you have to do is cover the contact points and there will be no problem.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

that is probably the reason the strut bar made it into the SS and not the G6 in the first place. GM was probably too lazy to correct the situation so instead they saved themselves money by not putting it on at all.

Comment

Probably, there will be more out on the market hopefully soon.

Comment

KMAN-
          Where did you get your vinyl? The door edging I got started to come off in this cold ass weather we're having.
          2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Originally posted by fireguy82
            KMAN-
            Where did you get your vinyl? The door edging I got started to come off in this cold ass weather we're having.
            Actually, I cut the pieces from a CD holder that I never used. I would think that you could find something like it at a Loews or Home Depot. You might be able to use those Heavy Duty Velcro Strips from Home Depot also.
            Forge Motorsports BPV
            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

So I'm finally getting around to fix this thing right. Peel off the edging that I put on there and the damn paint comes off with it Got the wire wheel out and took all the paint off and re-painted it. Thought about just sanding the spots down and painting it that way. Just didn't look right. Bought a vinyl repair kit that had some heavy duty vinyl in it and some rtv adheasive. Time to see if it works.
              2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Originally posted by fireguy82
                Bought a vinyl repair kit that had some heavy duty vinyl in it and some rtv adheasive. Time to see if it works.
                It works very well, you'll see!
                Forge Motorsports BPV
                CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

So I just got back from my dad's. I showed him the problem and he gave me a new option. A block of wood and a 3lb. hammer. You just need about a nickle's width more clearence so it shouldn't be a big deal. The attatchment points allow for that much play. So now I've already tried that and am waiting for the new paint to dry. I'll let everyone know if this works in a couple of days when I get back to work.

On a side note, if I was going to do this again then I would have used a couple blocks of wood and a vice. Proly get more control that way. Just like a firefighter, use a hammer to get it done THEN think about a better way to do it

Comment

so you just bent the inside of the hood up a little bit?
                    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

^good point fireguy...um, I think he modded the STB-not the hood at all

I am not exactly recommending this option, but on my bar, I layed it out on the floor and just jumped on the stupid thing where the bends are until they were less pronounced. Bad part was, when I went to put it on, the thing was too long then---so, back to the floor again for a slight bend in the middle. After several checks and some nearly torn shoulder and leg muscles later, it fits and doesn't rub. I took several pics to try to show the reduction at the ends and curve in the middle, but I will try to post all of them later for my springtech review.
                      Anyway, fireguy is right; just a little bar modding and you'll be home free.
                      2006 liquid silver sedan w/6CD, sunroof & remote start; Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/55/16; Llumar 15% all around; DocSpeed stg 3; JET Powr-Flo MAF sensor; rear Monroe Maxair shocks; GM STB; Redline Quicklifts; Mobil 1 plaque, SS badge, GMPD plaque, grafx 'G6' hmsl & chrome emblem overlays; high flow cat back w/flowmaster 40; Low & Fog 5300K McCulloch HIDs; Kicker 12" SL5 with a RF bd1000 & 1 farad cap; hardwired Passport 8500 x50 blue & G-Timer GT2

Comment

i don't think the brace was meant to me modified or...jumped on
                        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Yeah the brace wasn't meant to be modifyied (spelling) but I don't think the little amount we are bending it will be a problem. Most of what I've heard on here anyway is that this bar isn't a great help. Yes it tightens things up a little but I don't plan on going to road courses anytime soon to test the limits. I bought it for a little something extra that not everyone else has and the challenge to make it fit. I'm crazy like that.

I'm pretty sure that I've said this before but indulge me as I repeat myself. My father works at the Vette plant in Bowling Green on their troubleshooting "team". Now they tend to do the right things there. I.E. they would make the vendor redo the bar until it's right. Since we don't have that option at our houses I shot a couple ideas off him that I got from this site. You don't want to put extra washers on the hood mounts because it will mess up the alignment of the hood and will look like shit. One of those things that YOU will see everytime you walk up to the car. You don't want to "flatten" the support beam on the hood that rubs against the bar because it would be very easy to mess that up. A hood is ALOT more expensive to replace than a STB. The vinyl idea is a good one and the least invasive. His take on it is that it will eventually start to sweak or rub through. I asked him about grinding the edge of the bar down until it's no longer rubbing. That would compromise it structure the bar. Also he discouraged heating it up to bend it because of the sructural changes also.

Bottom line is that there is more than one way to fix this. I'm sure someone will come up with another better way to do this and I can't wait. I'm not saying that anyone is doing it wrong I'm just trying to give more options and relaying the method of my madness on why I'm passing up some other "fixes". I did do the vinyl fix and it's working pretty good. The vinyl is indenting pretty good but it's holding together well and I'm not going to take it off.

Comment

Mine is being modified tomorrow after work by a bender at a metal shop... How to will follow.
                            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Sweet :wacko:

I'll look foreward to it. Rather looking foreward to seeing the right way to bend it and how much. Just put mine in and just closing the hood sounded better.

Comment

Ok guys, I wasn't expecting to win engineer of the year with my story, but here is a link to how my STB looks:

http://sholliman.photosite.com/Album2/DSCN2443.html

It doesn't appear to be rubbing yet, either.
                                2006 liquid silver sedan w/6CD, sunroof & remote start; Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/55/16; Llumar 15% all around; DocSpeed stg 3; JET Powr-Flo MAF sensor; rear Monroe Maxair shocks; GM STB; Redline Quicklifts; Mobil 1 plaque, SS badge, GMPD plaque, grafx 'G6' hmsl & chrome emblem overlays; high flow cat back w/flowmaster 40; Low & Fog 5300K McCulloch HIDs; Kicker 12" SL5 with a RF bd1000 & 1 farad cap; hardwired Passport 8500 x50 blue & G-Timer GT2

Comment

Working...
                                X