Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about ready to trade in this car in the next few months over this!

But I know I'm over-reacting. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow to fix the leak I now have on the passenger-side sunroof drainage tubes. They fixed the driver-side up nicely, so I think they'll fix the passenger side just fine. I mentioned the winter indexing problem to them in case they can fix it. Interfire, where are you?! I need a part number. They're supposed to look at my long-lingering left-turning noise too, but I have absolutely no faith in them doing anything for that. I will get a second opinion from another dealership on that one.
    ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

I took a small spray bottle and filled it with de-icer windshield washer fluid. i keep it inside either at home, or at work, and before i open my door, i've been spraying the fluid at the base of the window, and at the top, to help melt anything that might be there. give it a minute or so to work on anything. i haven't had any sticking. whether it's because there hasn't been any ice, or perhaps because my idea is working, i couldn't tell you. but it might be worth trying.
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
        I took a small spray bottle and filled it with de-icer windshield washer fluid. i keep it inside either at home, or at work, and before i open my door, i've been spraying the fluid at the base of the window, and at the top, to help melt anything that might be there. give it a minute or so to work on anything. i haven't had any sticking. whether it's because there hasn't been any ice, or perhaps because my idea is working, i couldn't tell you. but it might be worth trying.
        The thing that bothers me most is that this problem actually exists. I woulda thunk that they would have put some foresight into this and made sure it didn't happen. Actually when I bought the car I thought about the winter thing, and unfortunately I assumed that Pontiac had taken precautions to prevent this from happening. But that's not the case. I don't want to have to spray de-icer on my windows every morning. I hope something like the silicone emulsion (Interfire - help! PN please) will fix the problem. If not, the new Infinity G coupes should come out this spring,
        ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

I'll get the part number for the silicon emulsion for you when I get home today. It seems to work. I haven't had a single problem since I applied it.

Comment

Originally posted by AeonPurdue
            Originally posted by ragingfish
            The thing that bothers me most is that this problem actually exists. I woulda thunk that they would have put some foresight into this and made sure it didn't happen. Actually when I bought the car I thought about the winter thing, and unfortunately I assumed that Pontiac had taken precautions to prevent this from happening. But that's not the case. I don't want to have to spray de-icer on my windows every morning. I hope something like the silicone emulsion (Interfire - help! PN please) will fix the problem. If not, the new Infinity G coupes should come out this spring,
            What about other cars though? A lot of cars, especially luxury ones like Mercedes and BMWs have this feature. I'm wondering if they freeze in the cold too?
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by AeonPurdue
              Didn't catch the thread earlier but looks like jnak can get you the part number quicker than I can since I don't have the bottle with me right now. But it is really good stuff and I haven't once had a problem with my windows sticking to it and I applied it before winter. Anyone who has this problem I would recommend looking into it. As just a general treatment it works wonders as well.

How much was yours jnak? They gave it to me for free long ago so I wouldn't assume it to be very expensive.

Comment

Silicon emulsion - part #10953014

It cost me around $3-$4, so not expensive at all. The guy told me to apply it once or twice a year. Just put it on the weatherstrip, let dry and wipe any excess off.

Comment

Yep that's the stuff, cept mine is a 150 mL bottle.

You have to apply it more often in the summer, but it holds up very well in cold temperatures. I usually put two coats on there and it holds up even better. You don't have to wipe it off afterwards if you apply it thin, proper application after it dries you shouldn't see any residue.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                    Yep that's the stuff, cept mine is a 150 mL bottle.

You have to apply it more often in the summer, but it holds up very well in cold temperatures. I usually put two coats on there and it holds up even better. You don't have to wipe it off afterwards if you apply it thin, proper application after it dries you shouldn't see any residue.
                    Word! Thanks guys, I'll look it up and check with the dealership.

Interfire, I'm curious why you have to apply it more in the summer?! The only problem I have is it freezing shut in the winter. What's the big deal about summer? Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

Clint

Comment

It's just that the heat breaks it down and seems to evaporate more, it becomes 'sticky' in hot temperatures as well and then you get dust and stuff that cling to it so you have to clean it more. So just things like that make it wear off faster, but even so it's not bad I don't think I've ever used it more than once a month in the summer. That's just if you use it to treat the weatherstrip to help keep it in good condition, if using solely winter then I guess it wouldn't apply.

Comment

I think it keeps the weatherstrip soft. It probably prevents the weatherstrip from cracking in the summer.

Comment

My windows have been frozen almost every morning for the past few weeks. The doors can be opened but I don't like closing them again when they are frozen like that. This problem is not exclusive to the G6 coupe though. I've seen the same problem with the Jaguar XK coupes and verts when I drove for Adesa auctions. In fact they had worse problems to the extent that each time the door handle was lifted the window would drop another inch and then it wouldn't rise again properly. So when I went to park, it was a game trying to get the window to close completely.
                          2006 Fusion Orange G6 GTPOS Coupe 6MT ~ #75
                          Vision Bulbs 6000k HID Xenon low beams

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                            What about other cars though? A lot of cars, especially luxury ones like Mercedes and BMWs have this feature. I'm wondering if they freeze in the cold too?
                            Yes, the window also freezes and fail to index on my Bimmer and every winter I have to put up with wind noise and leaky windows and poor seals and pinched mouldings. The doors also don't open or close properly. However when the weather warms up the problems disappears and the window indexing works fine again. Still it was very annoying to have this problem every winter.

Comment

GM Has A Fix!

I went this morning to get some of that silicone stuff for my window seals, and happened to talk to the service manager. He told me about a service bulletin (I'm not sure if that's the correct term) from 23-Dec-2005! Basically they're cutting down the weather stripping and adding "3M Squeak Reduction Tape 5430" to the glass. The document notes that this is a temporary correction and that the bulletin will be updated when a permanent fix is available. This is covered under warranty!

I have a copy of the bulletin that I'll scan at work, and then I'll upload to the site (i.e. not until later this week).

For those of you with access, the Service Information says this is Document ID# 1746796. Subject: Door Glass/Window Freezes and Does Not Index Down When Opening (Modify Door Window Belt Outer Sealing Strip and Add Tape) #05-08-64-040 - (12/23/2005). Models: 2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe

I'll be getting mine into the dealer next week to get this installed.
                              Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

just so you know ther is a gm bulletin on this happening
                                the GM fix is to replace the lower molding if your still under warrenty take it in and get them replaced tell them you heard a bout a bulletin
                                if you have to open the door with out them indexing it try lowering the window with the switch before closing if it still doesnt go down close the door carefully to avoid breaking the glass

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
                                X