Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIC is telling me low oil and low coolent at the same time

hello all-

I have a 2006 G6 GTP coupe with 46000 miles on the clock. Latley I have been getting low oil and low coolent messages on my DIC. Of course I topped off all fluids in the meantime but what does it seem the problem is if both of these occurances happened pretty much at the same time? My driveway and parking space at work are both clean from debris so I know its not an external.

Any thoughts/ideas?
    -Paul- 2006- G6 GTP Coupe- Crimson Red- 18" Wheels- 6*Spd Manual

Re: DIC is telling me low oil and low coolent at the same time

as you top off the vehicle with fluids does the actual level of fluid go down or is it just the DIC continuously warning you for no reason?
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Hrmmm I'll check wiring diagrams for you tomorrow. I'm guessing there is something in common both switches possibly a common ground. But like Crimson said what do your actual fluid levels look like? Also check for signs of mixing. Let's hope it's not a mechanical problem. I won't be back home until tomorrow I think.

Comment

I always check fluids before adding more and They were both low to begin with so I suspect a mechincal problem

Possible head gasket? But where are the fluids going if they arent leaking? Cant be in my oil because my oil level is low lol

Comment

The good news is it sounds like it's all getting burned off. The last thing you want is coolant diluting your oil and tearing up the bearings. I'd recommend and oil change as well as a oil analyst. But yes sounds like head gasket to me. Check your radiator cap for signs of oil as well.

Comment

I had the same issue and nothing is wrong. Fluid levels were both good, confirmed by two shops. So someone said check the BCM?? I still haven't done it because the warning lights have not come on for a few weeks. So now I'm really confused.
            Traded in G6 GTP 17 September 2012 for 2011 Musang GT 5.0L 6sp manual.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

Get Honor, Stay Honor

Comment

BCM is Body Control Module. A scan tool and oscilloscope would be needed to test it. Hopefully it's the BCM itself . The wires of the CAN system that everyone switched to back in 08 have very little tolerance in being repaired. You usually have to replace the harness. I think GM used 9041 prior to 08 so I'm not to familure with those I'll be able to research it when I have access to my computer again.

Comment

well fluids are definetly going somewhere.

I had "low oil" 2-3 weeks ago and i put in a 1/2 quart.

Now I had "low coolent" and "low oil" so I topped off both fluids as necessary. Thats the part that makes me nervous. Now I wonder If I just had low coolent always and it just happened to become low or if there is a bigger problem here. Not sure at the moment.

Comment

headgasket?
                  sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

If you are going through both, sounds like a head gasket. Could be a the intake manifold gasket with the oil issue. The oil could be spilling over into the intake runners but you would see smoke from your exhaust. But I dont think coolent runs through the 3900 intake manifold like the previous 60 degree pushrod V6s.

Knowing the 3900, prob the head gasket. If you take off the engine cover look around the back head against the fire wall for dampness from coolent or oil. Thats the head that goes bad.
                    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                    Gotta have it Green color
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack
                    GT500 track pack differential cover
                    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

@SergeantGrunt

I can't find where the oil level switch goes into the BCM on Mitchell so I don't think the BCM is the issue considering it's coolant and oil level switch. Both do go to the PCM. The issue I'd say from this point is like the OPs and is a mechanical issue (Head Gasket). Or you may need to hook up a scan tool and see if they just need to be cleared. It could be an anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                      X