Grinding Noise During Turnover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Noise During Turnover

The problem happens when it's extremely cold out and the car has been sitting all night long. It happens whether I'm starting the car with the remote or with the key. It's like a really loud zip noise that happens as the starter makes it's final crank and the engine starts. I have a video of it not happening and a video of the car when it does happen.

No noise: http://gallery.me.com/jessebkr87#100...&bgcolor=black

Noise: http://gallery.me.com/jessebkr87#100...&bgcolor=black

Let me know if you guys can't see them.
    Last edited by jessebkr87; 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM.

Re: Grinding Noise During Turnover

i couldnt get them to work.

my guess is that if its only happning when its really cold that when it starts the starter cant disengage fast enough and the teeth on teh starter adn flywheen are clashing for a second or 2

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Should I not worry about it?

Comment

i would problebly say no but i would like to hear it b4 i give you a definitive answer

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I don't know why the links aren't working.

Comment

if i can ill try it at work tommorow mybe itll work tere lol

Comment

Okay. I'm at work and I figured it out. You have to have Quicktime and then it will ask you to run the script. After it loads the album close the window and then click the link again and it should work.

Comment

i did that at home and nothing happened and i cant get it to work here at work either

Comment

I was able to view the videos, but I had to put on my headphones to really hear the grinding sound well enough.

I agree with ahuhn's assesment. It sounds like the gear is slow to disengage the flywheel. These gears are made for that abuse so I wouldn't sweat it right now.

If it really does bother you then when it does get nice out you might want to drop the starter and verify there is some lubrication on the main shaft, or wipe it clean and reapply a lighter grease. Its possible that the grease that is on there now is simply not allowing the gear to move fast enough.

Comment

Yeah I would agree with Hawk and Ahuhn, it does make a bit of a noise but nothing to be super worried about. I've zinged the starter on my tractor harder and it still works fine.

Comment

ok i got it to work at home now (i hate when computers are stupid lol) anyway it almost sounds like a power steering noise. mine used to whine like mad when it was cold out. either way i wouldnt worry about it too much

Comment

Would it possibly have anything to do with the other problem I posted about? The steering vibration? I've had my pump replaced, but it didn't do anything.

Comment

hmmmm. i spose its possible but idk

Comment

Working...
                          X