• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Altered6 Progressions

man it is looking nice man

Comment

I have wanted to do this for a while and after reading a post on here I ordered the parts from NewChevroletParts.

Here is the link that details the Shifter Handle removal and a brief passing mention of the Parking Brake handle removal=>Looky here. I will add to this that the chrome collar on the Shifter Handle is easiest removed by squeezing hard on the driver and passenger sides simultaneously while pulling down. Easy off and easy on.

Out with the fugly old plastic crap.

In with the new mighty purdy leather. Black Leather Automatic Shift Lever part no. 15859617 comes as pictured including the chrome collar.

Black Leather Parking Brake Lever part no. 25993223 is the entire assembly. I really didn't have any desire to remove the entire console, etc. to replace the Parking Brake Assembly just for a leather handle. With the only info on this process I could find I took a chance and gave it a shot and as it turns out removing the handle from the Parking Brake assembly really is that simple. It did require a lot of tugging and pulling and pulling and tugging. Thankfully I have years of extensive practice at this (note to self: use inside voice more often). LOL!

There are a number of ways to remove the release button from the handle. I found it easiest to use Vicegrips with some masking tape on the jaws to protect the plastic button from damage. Carefully squeeze the sides of the release button as close to the handle as possible, give a slight wiggle and it comes out as good as new.

Other than the release button the only thing holding the handle on the assembly are these three metal tabs. If you try this yourself I recommend gripping the handle while pulling on the top and bottom so as to avoid adding unnecessary pressure on these tabs causing them to dig deeper inside the plastic handle.

Parking Brake Assembly with handle.

Exploded view of Parking Brake Handle.

The three metal tabs mentioned.

New leather handle installed.

Last edited by Altered6; 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM.
      Current Mods
      245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
      Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

It's always the little touches that do the most, very nice!
        2009 Ford Mustang Premium Pony 4.0L
        2001 GMC Sierra SL 4.3L

Comment

I found this on Ebay when searching "g6 armrest" it is reasonably priced and of decent quality. The company also retains a 100% Positive feedback rating.

The grain of the leather cover is a close match. However, the stitching and seams are different than the OEM leather pieces but most won't notice. While all of the covers available for the G6 at this time are black the stitching is available in a variety of different colors. I chose black stitching.

The console lid, as it turns out, is made up of four pieces. A two piece hinged inner frame that fits inside the imitation leather textured rubber cover, another frame piece that screws on to the inner hinged structure to hold it rigid.

The internal frame that comprises the console lid is two separate pieces that are hinged in the middle and knowing this makes stretching the new leather cover over top of the OEM rubber cover much easier.

The new cover fits quite tight but mine remained noticeably loose and wrinkled at the center of the console lid. After I worked the cover around by hand I discovered that the majority of looseness and wrinkles were eliminated by working it back to front/front to back

I was unhappy with the initial installed appearance of the cover so I took the lid apart again and with the aid of a staple gun and a few carefully placed staples I was better able to stretch the leather so it fits and looks perfect as if it came from the factory with it.

Rubber OEM turd.

Finished wrinkle free cover.

All the new leather goodies.
          Last edited by Altered6; 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM.
          Current Mods
          245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...

Comment

looking great man

Comment

Thanks guys!

The Sun finally broke through the clouds today and took the opportunity for a photo op.

Current Mods

Comment

Quick question about your rims. Are those hub caps over 5 spoke steel rims or where the rims from your brake photos alternates?
                1993 Eagle Talon (RIP)
                2007 Toyota Matrix XR (GONE!!!)
                2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Let the fun begin)
                2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ (New family car)

Definition of a Ricer.
                (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.

Comment

^^^ Hub caps.
                  Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
                  2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
                  2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Comment

brakes and interior mods looks awesome. Well done sir
                    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Hey thanks guys. 'preciate it.

Originally posted by crasher28 View Post
                      Quick question about your rims. Are those hub caps over 5 spoke steel rims or where the rims from your brake photos alternates?
                      Wert is correct those are the same steel rims as in the brake photos with GM accessory chrome wheel covers.
                      Current Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Altered6 View Post
                        I have wanted to do this for a while and after reading a post on here I ordered the parts from NewChevroletParts.

Here is the link that details the Shifter Handle removal and a brief passing mention of the Parking Brake handle removal=>Looky here. I will add to this that the chrome collar on the Shifter Handle is easiest removed by squeezing hard on the driver and passenger sides simultaneously while pulling down. Easy off and easy on.

Out with the fugly old plastic crap.

In with the new mighty purdy leather. Black Leather Automatic Shift Lever part no. 15859617 comes as pictured including the chrome collar.

Black Leather Parking Brake Lever part no. 25993223 is the entire assembly. I really didn't have any desire to remove the entire console, etc. to replace the Parking Brake Assembly just for a leather handle. With the only info on this process I could find I took a chance and gave it a shot and as it turns out removing the handle from the Parking Brake assembly really is that simple. It did require a lot of tugging and pulling and pulling and tugging. Thankfully I have years of extensive practice at this (note to self: use inside voice more often). LOL!

There are a number of ways to remove the release button from the handle. I found it easiest to use Vicegrips with some masking tape on the jaws to protect the plastic button from damage. Carefully squeeze the sides of the release button as close to the handle as possible, give a slight wiggle and it comes out as good as new.

Other than the release button the only thing holding the handle on the assembly are these three metal tabs. If you try this yourself I recommend gripping the handle while pulling on the top and bottom so as to avoid adding unnecessary pressure on these tabs causing them to dig deeper inside the plastic handle.

Parking Brake Assembly with handle.

Exploded view of Parking Brake Handle.

The three metal tabs mentioned.

New leather handle installed.

didn all g6's come stock with leather shifters?

Comment

^ obviously not, hence the pictures
                          Paying someone to install parts on your car, and bragging about it being fast is like watching someone SMURF your wife, and being proud to raise the kids
                          sigpic
                          Progression Page
                          Four Door Mafia

Forever Pontiac
                          Sponsored by: Negrotis™ Racing

Comment

I'm in the process of packing for a move and found some lost pictures of my previous vehicles.

'80 Z28

'84 Z28

9" Ford with 4.56 Richmond gears

4 link with a rear seat

350 with Brodix heads, Offenhauser intake and custom ground Erson cam

850 Double Pumper with annular discharge boosters

And an extra surprise

The only pic of my '78 Phoenix. My Uncles '37 Ford

'92 Grand Am

Last edited by Altered6; 05-30-2012, 03:18 AM.
                            Current Mods

Comment

I miss my 98 GA. That car costed me $800 and I ran it for 2 years and only blew a headgasket. That was my only trouble with the car. It was a champ.
                              Traded G6 - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17590
                              2006 G6 V6, 12" vinyl strip along windshield, 5% tint on all around, painted mirrors, Eibach Pro-Kit, CRABS Option 3, Dr. Speed FPU, 8k Highs/Lows with halogen fogs, tinted tails, custom Flowmaster 44 exhaust with resonator delete, and a Kenwood headunit along with a metra kit.

New Car - http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22863
                              2009 Cobalt SS/TC, K&N SRI, ZZP catless DP, EFR 6758, Polished TC wheels, Injen Charge pipes, Retros, HPTuned, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Wert842 View Post
                                I miss my 98 GA. That car costed me $800 and I ran it for 2 years and only blew a headgasket. That was my only trouble with the car. It was a champ.
                                I still miss my '84 Z28 every sunny day.
                                Current Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X