Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-To: Hardwire GPS to power on with car (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How-To: Hardwire GPS to power on with car (lots of pics)

Where do you get these? What is it called?
    CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by auquier View Post
      Where do you get these? What is it called?
      the one I posted with the pigtail is called an "Add A Fuse/Link"

It has 2 places for fuses, you remove your accessory fuse from your fuse block-THAT fuse goes in the first slot then you can put whatever fuse you like in the second block so the power line to whatever you are hooking up has an inline fuse also. Much safer then just cramming wires into your fuse block or any other methods out there.

They are a little pricey, I think 10 bucks at your local auto parts stores. I have always used them installing radios and any other types of accessories into friends vehicles-they really make the job cake.
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

That would have definitely been easier than splicing into the power port by the ebrake - Oh well - I only had to do it once, but I'll keep this thing in mind for any other devices. Thanks!
        CRABS WAMS MPD GT-R Brembos and stuff

Comment

no problem, that little gem is priceless if you don't like cutting/splicing into stock wiring WHICH I absolutely hate and avoid at all costs! Unfortunately when I installed my new head unit I HAD to splice one stock wire which really ticked me off and my powered antennae still doesn't work on the radio!
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

OK. I've basically ruined two GPS's and my cig outlets. Here's what I did; Instead of installing a receptical plug, I just spliced into my Garmin power cord. I used the fuse that scuba used/circled in the pic. It is the same one I used for my led's that work fine.

So the garmin cord is a little weird in that it has the negative wire wrapped around the outside of the positive and I'm wondering if that matters. Also, I know everthing was good because the light came on with the garmin plug. Basically though, in both instances, the Garm said "This device is not supported", and in the case of my new one, said "This device does not support FM antenna". WTF!?!?!

The cigarette lighters are totally fucked from some wires touching. I looked at the fuses and they're all good. So basically I'm totally perplexed. I wish I would of paid attention in electric 101 in high school, because I absolutely fail at it 99% of the time.

Edit:

Well, I got my new Magellan working. Seems as though using the receptical lighters then plugging in your device works perfectly...just like scuba shows.

A word of wisdom for the electrically-challenged like myself (and occasionally directions challenged), don't splice into the GPS wire.
            Last edited by boja23; 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM. Reason: Fixed and wired correctly

Comment

Just did this this afternoon, great how-to!
              This is the best mod I have done so far, and would reccomend it to anyone and everyone!!!

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963 View Post
                EVEN BETTER

I use those whenever I need to hardwire something, I currently have my radar detector hardwired with one and recommend them for everyone
                Fucking awesome.. wonder if that fits in there... imma use this for the tablet.. and for the interior lighting imma do..

Comment

Working...
                X