Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Speedometer Swap HOW-TO

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
    I completely forgot about the odometer itself. That makes perfect sense as to why you need our original bcm.
    Yup, as soon as it runs the compare at the IPC it'll freak out, just safer for everyone involved
    Chris White
    http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
    2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
    2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
    2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
    2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

Originally posted by GTPprix View Post
      Uh yeah don't do that. You'll set a huge odometer tamper flag and your car will have the incorrect milage; good luck selling it with that flag Not to mention it wont start, there were other small changes from 2008-2010 that wont work correctly as well.

This is why we require you send the one out of your vehicle.
      Ah, it's a good thing I have not done that then. Thanks gtprix.

Comment

Awesome write-up! I recently bought a '06 G6, and was looking into an aftermarket radio, and this is by far the best looking solution for keeping the DIC. That said, I'm going to pose a question:

I plan to swap the speedometer cluster, but do not have a 2010 cluster yet. I do however have the 2010 cruise control switch ordered from Amazon (car didn't come with fobs, so ordered fobs and switch together to save on shipping). My question is this: can I install the '10 cruise control switch without the '10 speedometer cluster? If I follow your directions, would it then just change the dic on the stereo?

I wouldn't bother switching the cruise control switches until I had the new cluster, except that the current switches are scratched up and kinda jammed in, and look like crap.

Any thoughts?

Comment

You can install the switch and everything will work except the dic controls. Only because the signal wire for those buttons go directly to the cluster to change the settings in the dic.
          You can still install it and just finish the last wire when you get your cluster.

Comment

I really want to do this! This is super exciting for me! I always wanted to put a double DIN system in but I hated the idea of the DIC in the glove, center console or trunk. Plus it looks cheap. My only concern is about the BCM flash. I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP. Its a 6 spd manual. If I do this conversion, without a flash, the cruise control and drivability of the car won't be affected right? Like worst case scenario the DIC is a little buggy?

Also the idiot chimes, as previously mentioned, on pre 2010 models have a speaker in the speedo while 2010 is through the stereo. If I do the speedoswap, and change the headunit amp and speakers will I be able to retain the chimes?

Does the Axxess GMOS-LAN-03 Wiring Interface have its own built in speaker?
            Last edited by y2j514; 05-09-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I can't say for sure. But everything works perfectly fine for me except some details within the dic are buggy yet liveable
              Cruise control shouldn't be affected. Neither should anything else
              Just for an 06 idk how the bcm will handle it. So if you do it post your results!

Comment

Did the actual mileage of your car carry over to the new cluster? Or did it display what was on the cluster before you got it?

Comment

The mileage did carry over. Just when you open the door it'll show the miles briefly and that doesn't update until you scroll through all the menus and see the odometer. Of you left it on the odometer it'll update and work just fine.

Comment

Has anyone done this to an 05, i would like a double din stereo but don't like the 3303 kits but like the dic, i can find most of the parts for around the same price as the kit i just don't want to buy the wheel, airbag, and cluster if the 05 wiring is going to be a big issue

Comment

As far as I know it has not been done in an 05. I did look for a dash mounted button panel for the dic but I couldn't find one with the correct resistor values built in.
                      Unfortunately the only way to know if it'll work is trial and error.
                      What I would do is get a cluster and plug it in. And the 2010 cruise switch and just see if it'll control the dic and read properly. At least you can make sure if the bcm can communicate with the newer cluster.

Comment

i think im going to go ahead and order the cluster I've found them online anywhere from 50 all the way to 150, I figured that i will have to change some wires in the molex connector going to the clockspring (gotta love have the first model year of any car) don't mind the 4 spoke wheel but i think the 3 spoke is pleasing to the eye. Now if only the airbags weren't so expensive.

Comment

Just finished mine in an '09, and it works just sitting in the driveway so far! I was pleasantly surprised to find out I did not lose RAP! Your how-to was perfect and easy to follow, great job. I can post a picture later if it would help anyone. Thank you!

Comment

Just to make sure, does the replacement cluster get the real mileage from the BCM ? I'm asking because my car has about 32k miles, but most of the used clusters on eBay have in the 80k-150k+ mile range...

Looking to do the mod in a 2008 GXP, and would likely do the WAMS BCM flash as well as I want to adjust a few other things (remote start on, running lights off, etc)

Comment

Yup. Mileage is stored in the BCM. changing the cluster will not affect your odometer at all

Comment

Just bought a 2010 cluster off eBay, really looking forward to this mod! Can anyone confirm whether the BCM flash fixes the mileage issue and manual mode display?

Comment

Working...
                                X