Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

A little 411 for everyone. ARP does stock head & main cap studs for this motor. Apparently it's the same as something else. I'll find out what. I've already purchased and installed the main cap studs. The only problem with the studs is that it will eliminate a place to bolt on the windage tray. I'm going to have to figure out how to reinstall it without bolting to the main caps like before, possibly from the pan. But that's a bridge to cross later.
    '06 3.9L VVT Engine Rebuild
    '91 Chevy Beretta GT 3.1L 5spd.

Comment

Well, this quarter is over. Next up is heads... The bottom end work is done as far as it can go for now until I get money for parts and and able to customize the bore to fit the pistons.
      Next quarter starts in January...

Comment

Good Luck!

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen. The headwork has started. I already have flowed them to have a baseline reading. The 3.9L head has an impressive flowrate. It flows better than a lot of V8 heads. I'll post the some of the numbers here but the majority will be in 60degreeV6. The porting and polishing has already begun. I'll keep everyone up to date with what is being done. As always check out my photobucket for the latest pics.

Comment

I few quick questions to all you 6spd manual owners... I am currently taking a high performance transmission class. Have there been issues or weak points with the 6spd manual? If there is, is there an upgraded part that I should know about to repair it. Please include any problems or issues with the clutch, flywheel and master/slave cylinders. I'm going to be tearing down and rebuilding this transaxle and want to know what are common problems so I can deal with them properly. I'm going to also be looking for a LSD(limited slip differential) for this trans. If anyone knows of a company already manufacturing this, lemme know.

Comment

Re: 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification quer

honestly, bolt up a different transmission

the stupid fucking flywheel is dual mass. and heavy as shit

the clutch cant hold for shit and takes very little abuse =\

i had a slight leak in my master cylinder when i got the clutch replaced

this MIGHT be able to help you. i also know that there is a saab LSD too. might try chit chatting with the owner of genuinesaab.com

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... ost1234840

let me know if you get anything accomplished for the tranny...i've failed so far

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

Re: 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification quer

doubt it will bolt up, but you might as well get some specs on it

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=523

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

If you wanted to, you could do a fairly mild port and polish on the heads yourself (even easier with a spare set), smooth out the IM and TB (if there are bumps and such in there), and do the normal bolt ons. I don't think these engines like to rev out a whole lot, so you might just be able to do new rockers? I know the 3.5vvt builds power to 6,000, so it's not like you really run out of cam before you hit the rev limiter.

If you did a PNP on your heads, you'd probably net a good 10 or 15 whp I would imagine. Couple that with bolt ons, and you're looking at a good 30-40 over stock.

Comment

Would it be possible to get new rocker arms done? I don't know if we share rockers with any of the 1,000 other pushrod V6s Chevy makes, but it's something that could get looked into. That would be a relatively easy mod to get a bit more top end, and keep your powerband at the same time.

Comment

Does anyone know the GM code designation for the 6spd manual for the GTP? I would like the actual trans code and the order/option code if possible.

Comment

6 months later.... done yet, i cant wait no longer. whats the #'s and diffrence since you done all that??
                        !~ByGe~! or !~bYgShReK~!

EVERYDAY IM HUSTLIN 24\7 365 DAYS

06' GTP COUPE, STAGE 3 CAI, CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
                        FUTURE MODS THIS YEAR: anything that gives horsepower to the wheels cuz money aint a issue
                        SHOOTING FOR HIGH 13'S
                        14.552 @ 98.20 in the 1\4 mile

Comment

Nope. Not done yet. I'm in my last quarter of this engine class which is final assembly. Unfortunately even if I do complete the motor, I won't be able to dyno it due to the school not have the harness & ecm to run it. So i'm gonna have to chassis dyno it. And that won't happen for a little bit longer, sorry.
                          On the transmission note. I have acquired the 6spd manual for the trans class I taking. I also did some intial research on the transaxle. This transaxle is a "world" trans...designation: F40. So it's shared with Opel, Saab & I believe Fiat. I've been looking around and it looks like Quaife makes an LSD for the Saab (which I think it's the same as the one linked earlier...thanks) and for the Opel.I will have to contact directly to be certain. I should be tearing into it tonight. I'll try to post the pics on my Photbucket(link is atthe beginning of this topic) as soon as I can.

Comment

Just thought everyone would like to know...there is an LSD for the 6spd transaxle (F40). It's made by Quaife ATB Differential and is a direct bolt on replacement to the stock open differential. It's a very nicely made unit. Expect to pay approx. $1,500 for the unit.
                            Here's a link to the US Branch of Quaife:

www.quaifeamerica.com

I also have pics of the unit on my photobucket with the pics of the trans teardown. Enjoy!

Comment

They also list the 4T65E FWD in their application guide.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Just to let you guys know, I've sent the gears, shafts and ring gear to get Cryo'd and Micro-Polished. I wanted to improve the odds of the transmission surviving what I had planned for it. The procedure was performed by Evans Performance in Atlanta,GA. They call it Cryo-Rem if you go look. Very nice job!

www.evansperformance.com

I've also posted the after pics on my photobucket under the F40 album. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X