Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXHAUST!(Any Info or questions post here)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Car sound - Muffler/Exhaust/intake/headers?

I have three suggestions. you could do them all for probably like $300 or $350....

1) - buy a CAB from Lampoon. (buy your silicon coupler and filter elsewhere (sorry Pooners) to save some $$. you could do this step for roughly $125 this will also add noticeable performance gains)
    2) - remove your resonator. (replace with a glasspack - muffler shop will do it for like $50 plus the price of the glasspack - or just have the muffler shop replace the resomator with a straight pipe also will ad a couple horsepower or so I'm told )
    3) - buy a borla/magnaflow muffler (flowmaster is okay if you are on a smaller budget) - increases air flow, but mostly sound especially flowmaster.

I would do them in this order.
    if your not interested in any horsepower gains just buy an after market muffle, but whats the point in getting noticed if you have nothing to back it up??
    just my two cents...
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

I think anything done to a 4 banger would sound kinda ricey. On a side not, on my 3.6, I put a cai on and its sounds f*****g bad ass. At low rpm's, it sounds like a turbo spooling up and at high rpm's it sounds like a v8 with headers.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
      4 door mafia
      93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
      8000k hid's
      Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
      Rotofab cai and radiator cover
      13.207@107.11
      330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

Okay, I can't afford $300, so I'll go with one or two of those (likely just one, but maybe mesh together x.x).

1. The CAB from Lampoon, I've heard about it (crab air intake no?); what will this do/what is it/is it really possible to keep this under $150 or is it likely more. Also, will this add any sound at all? I know a person should want to be able to back up their sound with some performance, but if I'm not mistaken, unless I simply poke a hole in the exhaust (which I don't want to do) most things that add the type of sound I was looking for will add at least a little bit of performance even if just a small small small amount.

2. Glasspack - I've seen some things on this and I'm leaning to this option because it seems like something that adds a little noise and my friend was saying how he got cherrybombs and everything he did revolved around performance (and a massive amount of noise to go with it, but whatever), but he had a firebird. If I get a glasspack, is it going to make a 'ripping' sound noise or will the sound be at least deep enough such that it won't sound just pathetic? Concerning the straight tubing and all that, can the sound of the glasspack be altered with an exhaust tip/muffler/something to make a deeper tone?

3. The mufflers, I've found some flowmaster 40s which people seem to like. I think this would be an option, but some people have said you need to get another catalytic converter or get a high-flow or something to ensure that the car meets emissions and that occasionally you have to replace said catalytic converter. Now, if I get a muffler, will I need to buy any catalytic converter or will it basically be 'Buy muffler, install muffler, drive around and go vroom vroom with muffler, live happily ever after' ?

I think options 2 and 3 seem the easiest for me, mainly because they 'sound' the cheapest (although correct me if I'm wrong). Right now, I'm looking for something that will make noise to let people know I'm coming without making that 'ripping' noise that I've heard from some cars. I'm sure everyone knows the sounds I'm referring to: ripping, deeper sounding, deep GT-R like roar.
        The ripping is what this sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYt-Tp_MA9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTL2m_yVws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . The first one was an altima and the second a tc, but they both had that ripping noise. Now, if that is the 100% only sound a glasspack can produce, then I'll likely pass, but if it's possible to make the sound deeper, then I'll see what can be done with it.

I know that I won't be getting a deep rumble roar sound that a lot of people like and that I'll likely be getting a sound that people consider ricey, but as long as the sound doesn't sound like a 'ripping' sound, then I wouldn't mind. If I need to clarify a bit more (since I don't know a lot about a lot of things) let me know.

Comment

now for option 2 that is just removing resonator and putting in the glass pack that didn't sound to bad to me from the video. and that involves removing the existing muffler or no. plus would muffler and glass pack make deeper sound.
          Originally posted by WoodburyMan
          There's a page of leghumping afterwards

Comment

I think it's removing the resonator, not the muffler, but I'm thinking combining the two would make a deeper or at least a less 'ripping' type of sound. The sounds weren't too bad on the video, but revving up just sounded too much like a toy. A touch less 'ripping' and I would go for it. Although, if a muffler is needed to make any good sound from a glasspack, then it would make a bit more sense to do the muffler first correct?

Comment

i would think so muffler first even though for our cars it might cost a little more for special bends so you don't have to move any thing and just pop in the new muffler
              Originally posted by WoodburyMan
              There's a page of leghumping afterwards

Comment

Anyone have anymore advice/help? I think I'm going to go with a flowmaster 40, but I'm going to see if the guy at the autoshop can give me some advice if he has one on his car. I'd really like help from people that actually have a G6 though. >.>

Comment

Anything? >.<
                  I suppose it's sort of a black and white in some areas, but it seems like there should be some ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDglf8jDxoI
                  This is a youtube of a 2000 Malibu with a flowmaster 40 and a hi-flow cat. Now, if I take that same setup and put it on my G6, will it have a similar sound since the G6 and Malibu are made on the same whatever (forgetting the word >.<)?

Basically, that's the sound I'm going for. I know there are some 'ripping' sounding parts, but the overall tone/pitch is lower and deeper, which makes the sound a good thing in my opinion (I don't really car if other people think this particular sound is ricey, because it's a deeper tone and I won't be having a paintcan muffler, so ...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00GE8TyxUY - this is a similar sound to the malibu
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2KtltwQ3s - here is another clip. I'm posting the ones I find because I'm not sure if there is something in common with these vehicles that I'm missing, though someone might see it (some part or something).

Ideas?

Comment

the intake will make a sound change when you get on it. however if you are wanting the sound to be there pretty much all of the time you are going to have to do something to the exhaust

what i dont know, but whatever you decide will make it louder than it is now. you just have to listen to clips and find what kinda sound you are looking for in the exhaust

Comment

• Re: EXHAUST!(Any Info or questions post here)

Dont know if this was ever pointed out or not but GM has a performance cat back exhaust for the our cars. Here is the link, pic is for single tail but they have dual.

They get from here I think.http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=222873

It is GM approved, what ever that may mean. But it has a Pontiac logo on the tip. youwho!
                      I do like the long radius on the bends though. Price is a little on the high.
                      Debaged, GFX red overlay on GXP & metalic black overlay on key holes & front logo, red calipers, K&N filter, Vector ECM & TCM tune, 35% tint all around.
                      Pioneer TS-D1720C front, TS-D6902R rear, GM-D9500F power amp

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy
                        Dont know if this was ever pointed out or not but GM has a performance cat back exhaust for the our cars. Here is the link, pic is for single tail but they have dual.

They get from here I think.http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=222873

It is GM approved, what ever that may mean. But it has a Pontiac logo on the tip. youwho!
                        800? damn not worth it IMO.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                        TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                        Show
                        -20% tint
                        -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                        -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Here's my last suggestion... If you have $200 to spend, as I think that you said, and you want to make a noticeable amount of noise, without adding any HP or torque, here's what I would do. (lol I wouldn't do this tho because I believe the opposite of what im suggesting... sound comes AFTER performance LOL)
                          but anyways.

Take your 6 to a muffler shop. Get them to cut off the resonator and replace with straight pipe, probably 2.5 inch or whatever. then order a flowmaster 40 series off their website http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3436.

The muffler is $101.81 plus a few bucks shipping (you could probably buy one cheaper at a local autoparts shop, or even on eBay) the muffler shop will charge you like $50 or $60 for the resonator removal....

So yeah under $200... you'll be loud and noticeable, not that Im sure why you want to be but whatever...
                          2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by leong6gtp

They get from here I think.http://paceperformance.com/in,%20dut...&ProdID=222873

You seem always quick on the triger.

For us Canadian it can be an alternative as it cost more for shipping, brockarage, duties, taxes on all those so calaculate all that it may get me close.
                            Besides it's GM pprove so worry free.
                            Debaged, GFX red overlay on GXP & metalic black overlay on key holes & front logo, red calipers, K&N filter, Vector ECM & TCM tune, 35% tint all around.
                            Pioneer TS-D1720C front, TS-D6902R rear, GM-D9500F power amp

Comment

Originally posted by leong6gtp

They get from here I think.http://paceperformance.com/in,%20dut...&ProdID=222873

You seem always quick on the triger.

For us Canadian it can be an alternative as it cost more for shipping, brockarage, duties, taxes on all those so calaculate all that it may get me close.
                              Besides it's GM pprove so worry free.
                              what ever you say frenchy

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                              Show
                              -20% tint
                              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Frenchy is correct - if you were to order the GT-R, by the time you consider shipping, customs and tax, it would probably be close to $800 CDN.

The GT-R is probably the better system though.

Comment

Working...
                                X