This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G6 3.6 ltr.

If I new what the trans was capable of, I would turbo the bitch and call it the day. Im being negative to the expensive mods cause 1. I have to watch my money cause Ill be out of a job any day now and 2. I dont want to see me or someone else watch their trans and or engine go boom and see all that money go bye-bye. I know the internals on the 3.6 can take alot, bout I think GM might me close to the 315 hp rating on the trans. GM doesnt want to give the consumer alot to play with and spend money on the aftermarket, they want you to spend that money on an upgrade to a higher performance car if you want more speed.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
    4 door mafia
    93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
    8000k hid's
    Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
    Rotofab cai and radiator cover
    13.207@107.11
    330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

Hell, if money was no object with me and I knew the tranny could take it, I'd rig up an axial compressor-type supercharger, see what I could to to fab up direct injection heads, and then run a Miller-cycle cam on the sunovabitch.

Granted, that would cost as much as the car, but hey, why not?

Seriously though, I think the only way anyone is going to really know the numbers the tranny can take is when someone does grenade it.
      "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
      ~~GWAR's description of Hell
      SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
        4 door mafia
        8000k hid's
        Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
        13.207@107.11

Comment

So I guess the question would be...

Do I save for a year until I have between 6k and 8k and get a turbo on the 6? OR do I save for 3 months or so and get new heads and cams?

Any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by HopkinsGXP27
            So I guess the question would be...

Do I save for a year until I have between 6k and 8k and get a turbo on the 6? OR do I save for 3 months or so and get new heads and cams?

Any opinions?
            Seriously?? Save for the 6k if you are really into spending 6k on your car. A turbo'd 3.6L should run high 12's.
            2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
            1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

I would go boost over heads/cam anyday.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
              4 door mafia
              8000k hid's
              Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
              13.207@107.11

Comment

Not to mention that the engine more than likely needs to come out to get the heads off. I would still kill for a set of cams though.
                Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
                - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
                - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

Sounds like a turbo is the way to go then. Thats what I was leaning towards too.

Ive got two friends that are master technicians and have a couple decades of experience under their belts, so I think I will get them to design the set up and do the install(Hah and the fact that they don't charge for labour helps). Im going to need to get a dyno tune after the turbo is in too, and Im positive they have friends that are capable of that. Next time I head back to my hometown will probibly be december and thats when I will talk to them. I'll let you all know how they are thinkin to go about it.

So whats everyone's best guess for what I should limit the power gain to for the tranny's sake? 325whp?

Comment

Originally posted by HopkinsGXP27
                    Sounds like a turbo is the way to go then. Thats what I was leaning towards too.

Ive got two friends that are master technicians and have a couple decades of experience under their belts, so I think I will get them to design the set up and do the install(Hah and the fact that they don't charge for labour helps). Im going to need to get a dyno tune after the turbo is in too, and Im positive they have friends that are capable of that. Next time I head back to my hometown will probibly be december and thats when I will talk to them. I'll let you all know how they are thinkin to go about it.

So whats everyone's best guess for what I should limit the power gain to for the tranny's sake? 325whp?
                    Well, the 4T60 is rated at like 285 hp / tq. The 4T65 is up to 300 or 315 I think. With that. I think realisticly these can handle 300 - 315 on a long term basis before you start to see degredation. However, if you are really doing a turbo, putting 1 - 1.5k into rebuilding a stronger tranny would be well worth the investment.
                    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
                    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

Alright, so Ive been doing some research on turbos and Ive been wondering why no one has done an STS remote or rear mounted turbo set up. If we just took out our muffler and put the turbo right in that location I feel like it would work.

http://www.ststurbo.com/the_technology <==At the bottom of this page is a corvette with a similar set up to what I think we could run. Only difference is it has two turbos and I would only use one.

With our muffler taken out there would be more than enough room to accomplish this set up.

Also a Universal Single Turbo System is only $1695. Even with all the optional upgrades your not going to break $2500. With other misc work needed you wouldn't break $3500(not including labor).

I know Im not as knowledgable as alot of you guys on here, so feel free to point out where the problems with this set up are.
                      I realize that piping would have to be run back to the engine to provide the pressurized air, an oil line would need to be run to the turbo, and the air intake would need to be put up in the rear quater panel or somewhere close, but I think this could be done.

Comment

hmmm this maybe a dumb ? but wouldnt water be an issue with the way that is set up?
                        Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

Originally posted by stevey722
                          hmmm this maybe a dumb ? but wouldnt water be an issue with the way that is set up?
                          I read about that on the STS site and they said the rear mounted turbo is kept cool enough by air circulating under the car that it doesn't get hot enough to be affected by water splashing up onto it. I still wouldn't drive through any flood waters tho

Comment

no i mean sucking water in through the turbo through the air filter
                            Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

Originally posted by stevey722
                              no i mean sucking water in through the turbo through the air filter
                              Oh, well you would just go over the inside of the wheel well with the piping, so that the filter is way up near the inside of the tail light. Or you could even put it in the trunk, that would be interesting.

Comment

hmmm im very interested in putting a turbo on...... i have the 3.9 though...... would you have to get bigger injectors when only running 5-7 psi of boost or would u be safe with the regular injectors....

Comment

Working...
                                X