Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

So.... I just ordered the clock spring from eBay! Thanks to my wife cause she let me order it and it is considered as my wedding Anniversary. You all should thank her for the quick purchase. I love her so very much! Okay, so now we just wait a week the most. So, I'll be finishing up in a week and I'll make a video of the unveiling of the paddles shifting and working.

So for now, I'm going to make the how to step by step while I am waiting to complete this work. Then when it all works, I'll probably go boast and brag to the Chevy dealership guys. I bet they would love to drive it. This cold weather really makes my car feel like it has more performance. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
      I was wondering when you were going to comment. Thank you so much bro! Its going quite well and it is not so very hard. You just need the paddles and the back side piece of the Saturn's Aura's steering wheel and you can male this happen. If you can not get the back side piece, just dremel out the hole's dimensions. I can do just this for anyone. I can get the dimensions in case no one can get the back side piece. Thanks for the hail!

I am sure you and others can do this swap.
      If I only had a tap-shift transmission... I would think about it, but nope, it's 100% automatic, I'm assuming.

Your next project should be to swap out this engine with that Ford GT 3.5L V6 600+ hp, should fit right in, and you get 2 turbos with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maty View Post
        If I only had a tap-shift transmission... I would think about it, but nope, it's 100% automatic, I'm assuming.

Your next project should be to swap out this engine with that Ford GT 3.5L V6 600+ hp, should fit right in, and you get 2 turbos with it!!
        Yeah, I'll get a mechanic to do just that. But I'll photo take to make the how to though.

Comment

Originally posted by Maty View Post

My previous question to him was for this reason. I believe it *may* be able to be done with a purely automatic car. You would need to add a couple more wires though, and probably need to get an aura/malibu shift lever that has M mode. I believe if you tied the M into BCM TapShift Enable line, then ran the wires from the controls on the column to the TCM TapShift Input wire, that it could work. There's a chance that you may need to have the TCM re-programmed, but electrically, I believe that's all that would be needed from what I can see. My G6 is purely automatic as well, but I don't have free reign to extensively mod it, since it's my wife's driver.

That, and I had tap shift on my Aura and was not a fan. I found it way too laggy for shifting compared to actually driving a manual car. However, where I did like it was using M2 as a hill decent gear in snowy conditions. On several occasions, I had to go down some steep, windy roads from a friends place in the winter, and using M2 allowed it to go down the hill at a nice, even, slow pace, without hitting the brakes and chancing losing traction and ending up in a ditch.
          2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Swapping out the stock shifter column with the GT one would be an easy swap and it very well be the difference between tap shift g6 and a non-tap shift, with the addition of some wires. Definately need the tcm to accommodate the new wires.

Comment

I would say get a G6 GT center console which has a manual mode and a TapShift steering wheel, wire things properly and swap the BCM and/or the TCM to get it to work. Is the TapShift working via the TCM or the BCM ? Or both ? Because swapping them with TapShift compatible units would maybe be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post
                I would say get a G6 GT center console which has a manual mode and a TapShift steering wheel, wire things properly and swap the BCM and/or the TCM to get it to work. Is the TapShift working via the TCM or the BCM ? Or both ? Because swapping them with TapShift compatible units would maybe be easier.
                The bcm needs a wire and then out from the bcm to the tcm. CrusinG6 has the wiring diagram on this thread to show the wires going to the bcm. Once you get the g6 GT shifter you should be able to wire up to the bcm and out from it.

Comment

I believe the bcm might have a missing wire on the bcm for the tap shift and another wire missing that sends the current to say the car has entered manual mode.
                  Last edited by GMManof3; 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Using the GT one would work, but then you have the tap shift gate at the side. If you were to use the one from the Aura, you'd just have a straight gate, with the M mode at the bottom.

2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
                      Using the GT one would work, but then you have the tap shift gate at the side. If you were to use the one from the Aura, you'd just have a straight gate, with the M mode at the bottom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-saturn...3D200983387347
                      I like that alternative.

Comment

Hey buddy ! I got a flash about Zillya's issues with his transmission. He wrote this : "So I heard back from the transmission shop manager this morning and he told me they found the issue. Basically the valve body that they replaced as a part of transmission rebuild was for the wrong transmission type that doesn't "support" the manual mode!!!?? And I remember him telling me back then that it was taking while, cause the part supplier had sent in a wrong part and they had to send it back and get the "correct" one. Bananas, right? I should have the car back by the end of the day tomorrow."

Source : http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26029&page=2

So, I think you should verify if it is really the case about transmission's valve body, if the one in the "regular" transmission is not TapShift compatible. Just to be sure you don't damage your transmission. I should have though about a while before your start your project.

Comment

Hey buddy ! I got a flash about Zillya's issues with his transmission. He wrote this : "So I heard back from the transmission shop manager this morning and he told me they found the issue. Basically the valve body that they replaced as a part of transmission rebuild was for the wrong transmission type that doesn't "support" the manual mode!!!?? And I remember him telling me back then that it was taking while, cause the part supplier had sent in a wrong part and they had to send it back and get the "correct" one. Bananas, right? I should have the car back by the end of the day tomorrow."

Source : http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26029&page=2

So, I think you should verify if it is really the case about transmission's valve body, if the one in the "regular" transmission is not TapShift compatible. Just to be sure you don't damage your transmission. I should have though about a while before your start your project.
                          You talking about that shifter with the M for manual? I like the just having the one gear like the M for manual, but the tap shift that is in my g6 is way better.

Comment

You talking about that shifter with the M for manual? I like the just having the one gear like the M for manual, but the tap shift that is in my g6 is way better.
                            Uh. Nevermind. I forgot your car has the manual mode... Fail !

Comment

Uh. Nevermind. I forgot your car has the manual mode... Fail !
                              Oh, You had me a little worried. Don't do that again, or else I'll make you drive a gaywoo(Daewoo).

Comment

Oh, You had me a little worried. Don't do that again, or else I'll make you drive a gaywoo(Daewoo).
                                Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! Deawoo !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X