Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new project! paddle shifters in my 2008 G6 GT!

Originally posted by DelHuge View Post
    So the paddles are working ? That's cool ! Why you guys always give me reasons to spend money...
    I know I posted up some long read posts. Currently, the paddles are not wired up due to the clock springs in the Malibu and the G6 being different. The pins that are on the G6 clock spring are missing two, pins A and B. The clock spring for the Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn aura have those pins. I will snap a photo of those two. I have to take the steering wheel off to switch out the inside bracket on the g6 to the Malibu steering wheel. In order to have the air bag for the steering wheel to sit all the way inside like it should. The inside bracket I am talking about, mounts the paddle shifters.

Comment

Great News all!!!! I am a Mod God!! I was able to swap the paddle shifters to the G6 steering wheel from the Malibu Steering wheel. I had to take the back side of the Malibu steering wheel and secure it to the G6 Steering Wheel. Then, I had to screw it in and then once I screwed in the paddle shifters, it made the steering wheel stay on better(though it was a little bit securer). Then I took my G6 steering wheel button trim and popped the Malibu steering wheel buttons in the G6 trim and screwed it all back in and then I took the Air Bag mounting bracket and popped that back into the G6 Steering Wheel and put the Air Bag back in and called it a day!! Oh yeah, Im good!!!

The back side of the steering wheel:

Malibu Steering wheel-

G6 Steering wheel- now this air bag mount bracket sits inside the steering wheel, all the way back and is why you can not put it in the Malibus steering wheel.

G6 Steering wheel with the Malibu Back piece. I used the original screws that held on the G6 Back piece, to help hold the Malibu's Back piece.

G6 Steering wheel- The back piece of the steering wheel from the Malibu ends up having a clip hold onto the G6 steering wheel frame. So plus side on this swap.

Picture of the Malibu's Paddles. Luckily for us all, the G6 steering wheel had these holes on the steering wheel to be able to screw in the paddles to the steering wheel's frame. So an even bigger plus, because I did not want to drill new holes to make the Paddles mount. I could of if I had to though.

Malibu Steering wheel- the Malibu Air Bag will not swap over to the G6 cause the Chevrolet Air bag has these three mounts that secure the air bag to the steering wheel. Refer back to the first steering wheel photo I posted on here to see what I am talking about. They are black with white plastic in it that the mounting screws go through.

G6 Steering Wheel- Notice the frame of the steering wheel is quite different from the Malibu's. This is why you can only transfer the back of the steering wheel over to the G6's.

The Best news I have for you all, is that if you find a good deal on a steering wheel and it happens to be from a Malibu, you can still make this work. But, I would suggest that it is better overall to have the Saturn Aura's paddle shifter steering wheel. This swap does take a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. Not too bad so far and I just have to save up 40 bucks to buy that clock spring. I should have this done before the month is up. So, once I get the clock spring, I will post up the photo for you all on where to run the wires.
      What a wonderful way to start the new year! This is worth the hassle in my opinion and I am so glad I gave you all this progress to show you. So enjoy and don't get too envious now!

Comment

*Thumbs up*

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
          So now I will be able to shift with either hands on the steering wheel or down below where my tap shift is at. I also wanted to give us a chance to have this swap mod available for an option. I got mine from a malibu and I'm going to wrap it in white leather and black carbon too.

Oops, I just realized this is a Saturn Acura steering wheel. I'll post the Malibu one I bought. Jeez, I'm crazy.

Comment

*Thumbs up*
            Thanks Del! I want Robert Lampoon to make me a badge for me on here along with the three I have to say paddle shifter G6. Rank not badge I think.

Comment

Sorry about using the Saturn steering wheel. This is the one I got.

Comment

*Thumbs up*
                How many have done this on here, besides me and SexyG6? Any on g6ownersclub.com?

Comment

I have a question. The steering wheels are different for the four cars ? (Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu 2004-2007, Chevy Malibu 2008-2011, Saturn Aura). And is also the 2009.5 Pontiac G6's steering wheel different from the others ? What about the Saab 9-3 ?

Comment

I have a question. The steering wheels are different for the four cars ? (Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu 2004-2007, Chevy Malibu 2008-2011, Saturn Aura). And is also the 2009.5 Pontiac G6's steering wheel different from the others ? What about the Saab 9-3 ?
                    Never looked at the different year Malibu steering wheel. Mine came from a 2009 and I know for a fact that the G6 mounts and secures the air bag different from the Malibu's 2009 air bag. Never seen the 2009.5 G6 steering wheel, nor the saab's either. 2009 Saturn aura steering wheel looks the same as the G6's though.

Comment

All hail the Mod God!

This is flipping awesome dude! I'm extremely jealous! Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Maty View Post
                        All hail the Mod God!

This is flipping awesome dude! I'm extremely jealous! Keep up the great work.
                        I was wondering when you were going to comment. Thank you so much bro! Its going quite well and it is not so very hard. You just need the paddles and the back side piece of the Saturn's Aura's steering wheel and you can male this happen. If you can not get the back side piece, just dremel out the hole's dimensions. I can do just this for anyone. I can get the dimensions in case no one can get the back side piece. Thanks for the hail!

I am sure you and others can do this swap.

Comment

Thanks for the info ! Let us know about the cost of your project !

Comment

Thanks for the info ! Let us know about the cost of your project !
                            So far 43.00 for the steering wheel. But I have seen it cost 72.00 also. 40.00 for the clock spring.
                            This is my total cost so far. I have a bunch of the female pins that can be given to the others on here for their paddle shifter project.

Comment

Do you have tap shift on your console?

If so, it will be easier to do the wiring, because you'll just need to connect into the wiring for the tap shift switch there. Then you can piggy back off the manual most for the console. If you do not, then you'll need to figure out how to enable the Tap Shift Mode on the BCM, if I read the wiring correctly.

The other person who's thread you commented in who did this mention just tapping into their console mounted tap shift parts.
                              2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
                                Do you have tap shift on your console?

If so, it will be easier to do the wiring, because you'll just need to connect into the wiring for the tap shift switch there. Then you can piggy back off the manual most for the console. If you do not, then you'll need to figure out how to enable the Tap Shift Mode on the BCM, if I read the wiring correctly.

The other person who's thread you commented in who did this mention just tapping into their console mounted tap shift parts.
                                Yeah, my 3.5 vvt GT came with tap shifter mode. I have to wire through the clock spring and connect a female connector wire to the back side of the clock spring and send the wire to the tap shift wire that leaves the tap shifter to go to the bcm. It sucks that pontiac said to snipped 2 pins off of the clock spring and left 8 out of 10 pins alone. When I get the clock spring, I'll post photos of the pins.

Comment

Working...
                                X