Driving in 3rd gear around in an automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in 3rd gear around in an automatic

Quick question, I get board driving from school home and sometimes shift the transmission into 3rd gear for funzys...At 3000 to 4000 rpms, the car pulls a lot better and I don't let them reach 5000. Also, I like it how once you let off the gas, the engine break slows my car down and creates that low grumble at lower rpm...Will it affect my transmission in any way?
    sigpic
    Electrical: * SPYDER Smoke Halo Projector Headlights w/ Morimoto H1 projector retrofit and custome LED Halo rings * HID Conversion Kit 8000K * Alpine Type S SPS-619 and SPS-610C Speakers * MTX Terminator TNP212D2 Dual 12" Subwoofers * Red LED Lighting Front + Dome, Blue LED in Trunk, White LED License Plate * Tinted Tail Lights/LED's Looks: * Carbon Fiber Decals * 15% Tint in the Back and on Top of Windshield, 35% Tint in the Front * Tinted cover on Licence plate * 5mm Wheel Spacers in the Front, 25mm in the Back * Enkei EKM 3 in Hyper Silver 18x8 Performance: * Flowmaster Muffler 80 Series w/ Cherry Bomb Glasspack, 3.5" Double Walled/Slant Exhaust Tips * Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on 225/45/18 * Brembo conversion in the front * BMD SS brake lines * CMS springs * Racingline strut bar

Re: Driving in 3rd gear around in an automatic

It shouldn't wear out the transmission if it was designed properly. In the past auto tranny only has 3 speeds.
    Your gas mileage will decrease.

Comment

Does yours have the slap shift? If not, I see no reason to put it in a lower gear if no need be.

Comment

i also do the same but only when i race because i feel it picks up much quicker than on Drive but thats me

Comment

Yea same here. It feels like it takes off quicker
          "Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds"
          Originally posted by ThreePointSix
          Call the police. Show us on this doll where it happened...

Comment

I can see while your driving at a speed above 30mph where you would see the difference in acceleration due to the fact the RPMS, are reving higher, instead of waiting for the engine to shift down and throw the rpms higher. Although it is more wear and tear on the car, I would only do this if your racing. Not to be doing it just to be doing it.

Comment

Its usually used for towing and hilly driving. But for racing its perfect for pulling speed out of a corner. From what I've read it also seems to be easier on the transmission, its the excessive shifting in and out of O/D that I guess puts added strain on the torque converter and other components.
              But for regular daily driving I'll try to let it sit in the highest gear and just lean into the throttle to prevent a downshift, I seem to get better mileage when I let the torque build and it takes off.

My buddy was telling me about breaking with your left foot to force the transmission to downshift, this way you keep the power on and get some speed. I just wonder what kind of stress that puts on all the parts.

Comment

Heres something weird for all you transmission guys. When I use slap shift going from 1st to 2nd in sport mode/slap shift, it pops pretty loud.
                Mashing the pedal from a dead stop which is obviously 1st gear and in auto mode letting it shift itself into 2nd it is super smooth?
                whats the deal?

Comment

No answers?

Comment

Working...
                  X