Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for air intake...I DID IT (w/ pics)!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for air intake...I DID IT (w/ pics)!!

Ok, so walking around @ my favorite store, Lowes, I stumbled upon the PVC tubing. I started thinking about certain projects I want to get done and if I needed any. Then, a project hit me. Front Pipe Upgrade on the 6er!! So I started piecing together thick walled 3 inch wide PVC tubing and thought, this just might work. I got fed up with guessing and actually went out to the car, took my intake off and brought it back inside to see if this was really possible. I pieced together an IDENTICAL looking front pipe all the way to the intake manifold. With two thick couplings and the PVC parts, total cost was less than $30!!!

Now, from my experience, thick walled PVC is great against heat, better so than the thin walled plastic stuff the stock intake pipe is anyway. I'm thinking I can then grind down the little knobs on the tubing, sand it and paint it whatever I want (just like I have my stock one) and have a cheap front pipe upgrade and be sans crinkle stuff on the stock front pipe.

I failed to take pictures as I didn't have my camera with me, but I'm thinking about going back and buying everything on Friday and can take pictures of the assembled project then.

I'm sure I'll get the "Why not just buy Pooners FPU?" Trust me, I'd love to. But I'm still paying off my headers and have other plans for about $500 worth of stuff to the car, so I can't swing the investment of Pooners FPU but $30 is a little bit of nothing.

So, what are your thoughts? Should I do it? Any reason why not to?
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: Idea for air intake...

Be the test subject!

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

DOOO IIIT!!!!

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

GO FOR IT!!!
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
          GO FOR IT!!!
          well if u got his vote ya got mine haha
          sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

For $30 why not. Worst case, you have to reinstall the OEM intake but you spent some quality time with the 6.
            sigpic
            Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Do it.
              Custom Flowmaster Exhaust- CRAB Heat Shield- Tiger Ram- Painted Cals- Painted Grills- Eibach ProKit- Racingline S/B- Racingline G/K- Injen Air Intake- Spyder Headlights w/ DDM 5000k Lows- DDM 5000k Fogs- Plasti-Dip Solstice Wheels w/ 5mm Spacers/ Painted- Painted Intake Manifold- Hood Spacers- RotorPros Front/ Rear D/S Rotors- BMD-P Fr. Endlinks- BMD-P SS Brake Lines...

Progression:
              http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18485

Comment

nice work, only thoughts i have on it is the weight will offset the better flow?

Comment

Well, been doing some research online. Seems like I need to make sure I use SCH-40 PVC as it's heat resistant up to 200 degrees. Should cover the under-hood heat fine. Looks like I'll be busy Friday

Comment

I applaud people getting invoved in innovation with the G6.

Build a better one!

Believe me...I tried!!

Although Im not sure plumbing supplies are the answer....but Im eager to see what happens.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                      nice work, only thoughts i have on it is the weight will offset the better flow?
                      Interesting. I'll weight both and let you know the difference. It didn't seem like a lot, but then again, I didn't pic all of it up together. We'll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                        I applaud people getting invoved in innovation with the G6.

Build a better one!

Believe me...I tried!!

Although Im not sure plumbing supplies are the answer....but Im eager to see what happens.
                        You're probably right, but heck, it gives me something to do. And I looked for aluminum piping @ autozone and they wanted a fortune for what it would take to do a complete FPU.

Comment

Mods: FlashTech, GT-R, K&N, Kenwood, JVC, CQuence

Comment

Sweet !!!! I say go for it......Cant wait to see how that goes.

I know how it is to try something new....I put my MAF in the fenderwell. (cooler air) But like Lampoon said to me earlier there wasnt a big difference with my setup. (I was using parts in my garage so...Ghettofied.. So I went back to the CAB.

MAF in fenderwell

CAB

Comment

Originally posted by hnda8n
                              CAB
                              Totally off topic, but I just realized how much ROOM you 3.5's have under the hood!! Seeing this, I can't believe someone hasn't done a turbo yet. So much more room than the 3.6. It's kinda crazy.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled posting.

I need to get a bench sander so I can sand down the stuff on the piping that is just cosmetic / molding extras. I don't think it'll compromise the integrity too much. Definitely doing a similar paint scheme with the tubes being green and the bends / joints being black. That should break up the monotony pretty well.

Kinda of excited about this actually. Last performance thing I did was ram air from the front lower grill, and that was a blast. I'm thinking this little project should be too.

Hopefully updates / pics of the assembled stuff on Friday, else, Saturday.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                              X