Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

Well I finally got around to doing this mod. There was a learning curve to go thru because there are small differences that had to be addressed. The front brakes on the G6/SS are 11.7 inches. The Saab 9-3 ( built on the same Epsilon platform as the G6 / Malibu ) has a brake size very similiar at 302mm. But the Saab 9-3 also has TWO LARGER BRAKE SIZES for the 9-3. They are 314mm (12.4in) and 345mm (13.6). The 345mm just came out on one model, the Saab Turbo X. I did the 314mm because the parts for the 345mm setup are MORE expensive and harder to get, plus I was not sure if they would bolt up since I had not seen them installed on a Saab. Let me start with what is needed parts wise:

1) Two Calipers
    2) Two Caliper Brackets
    3) Two Rotors
    4) Set of pads
    5) Two Banjo Bolts that fit the Saab Caliper (they bolt the brake line to the back of the caliper)
    6) Four washers for those same banjo bolts (two for each side)
    7) Four Grade 10.9 Metric Bolts (14mm diameter x 45mm long with a 2.0 thread pitch) these bolt the caliper bracket to
    the back of the spindle
    Two new front brake hoses for your G6

The calipers, brackets, rotors, pads, banjo bolts, and washers are all Saab parts available from a Saab dealer or from an auto parts store. The bolts need to be obtained from a good hardware supply location.

The first hurdle is that the bolts used by the G6 to bolt the caliper bracket (the caliper is first fitted into the caliper bracket and then the bracket gets bolted to the rear of the front spindle) to the spindle are smaller than the Saab ones. You need to get four of the bolts listed above which are larger and fit the Saab caliper bracket and will thread into it. You can just take the bracket with you to make it easier to find the bolts. It is VERY important that you get the exact ones and in the GRADE listed. The grade determines the strength of the bolt.

Next is you need to drill the two holes that are in the spindle a little larger so that those bolts will pass thru. It is only a slight increase in diameter. Not hard to do since the spindle is made of aluminum. Use a 9/16 drill bit. See the pics that I will get posted soon.

Another difference is the banjo bolts used to bolt the front rubber brake line to the back of the caliper. The Saab uses a larger banjo bolt. This is where getting the new front rubber brakes lines comes in. It will be easier to do this step BEFORE you start. Take the new brake hoses and drill the hole that is on the flat end a little larger so that the Saab banjo bolt can pass thru. This is probably the hardest part. You may want a machine shop to do this. It needs to be done cleanly, exactly centered, and the hole made only large enough to fit the new banjo bolt. The washers go on the banjo bolts. One goes on each side of the flat end of the hose (so you need two for the drivers side and two for the pass. side). Take your old front brake hoses off when you do the mod and just slap on the new modified ones.

I will get pics posted soon with some help from friends here. I will add comments after the pics are up.

THIS IS ONLY AN EXPLANATION OF HOW I DID THIS. IT IS YOUR DECISION IF YOU WANT TO TRY THIS ON YOUR OWN.

Finally.....the last photo is the front brace for the convertible. It weighs 19lbs. I need a photo of this on a vert so I can get an idea of how to install. Anyone?

Re: 314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

Sounds awesome but..................nah, I'm not even gonna do it.
    Can't wait to see the pics

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

This is what the pics are:

Pic #1-Stock caliper with bracket (it is off the front driver side)

#2-Saab Caliper with bracket (the two holes are where the new bolts thread into) Notice how much larger Saab caliper is than stock caliper in pic #1

#3-Side view of Saab caliper

#4-Saab and SS rotors compared

#5-Drivers side spindle-looking at the backside. These are the two holes that have to be made slightly larger

#6-Hole at end of brake hose that has to be slightly larger to fit new banjo bolt

#7-The stock SS caliper and rotor (front driver side)

#8-Brake hose, banjo bolts and washers, caliper bracket bolt

#9-Saab Caliper and Rotor installed (compare to pic #7)

#10-Finished product

Pic #11 is the vert brace, front one. Need a photo of this on a vert to help with the install. Anyone have a vert that could take a snap for me?

Comment

damn good job man.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
          TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
          Show
          -20% tint
          -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
          -Professionally heated seats

Comment

looks damn good man nice job

My progression thread
            Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
            Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
            In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
            Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
            Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

I think i might have some cam phone pics from one time the vert was up on the ramp...

i'll check.
              The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

so whos gonna do the 13s? what did all of that cost you? and guess on what the 13 set up would cost? lastly do they make cross-drilled rotors for that?

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Well....hows the braking?

Comment

To answer some questions.....

The braking is fine. In regular driving there is a small difference. Pedal feel is the same. The brakes do seem to have a more immediate effect. Not having used the stock or Saab brakes on a race track the true difference is not readily apparent. Out on the street doing regular driving a "panic" stop would probably show the differences but again I did not do this as a test parameter. What is hard to quantify is the higher heat capacity of these larger brakes. This is where they will outform the stock brakes. Brakes are a "heat sink" when used. Their ability to absorb and then dissipate heat is directly related to their performance. Just take a look at the pics posted, there are some very obvious and telling differences between the stock SS brakes and the Saab 314mm. The caliper is way bigger as are the brake pads. Of course the rotor is larger too.

I will post again later with info on costs involved. There are options on how to do and where to get parts.

Colin........please post if you find that photo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mjf6175
                      To answer some questions.....

The braking is fine. In regular driving there is a small difference. Pedal feel is the same. The brakes do seem to have a more immediate effect. Not having used the stock or Saab brakes on a race track course the true difference is not readily apparent. Out on the street doing regular driving a "panic" stop would of course show the differences but again I did not do this as a test parameter. What is hard to quantify is the higher heat capacity of these larger brakes. This is where they will outform the stock brakes. Brakes are a "heat sink" when used. Their ability to absorb and then dissipate heat is directly related to their performance. Just take a look at the pics posted, there are some very obvious and telling differences between the stock SS brakes and the 314mm. The caliper is way bigger as are the brake pads. Of course the rotor is larger too.

I will post again later with info on costs involved. There are options on how to do and where to get parts.

Colin........please post if you find that photo!!!
                      hey just wondering if you have the part numbers for the parts?

TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                      Show
                      -20% tint

Comment

i just did a breif search and i coudlnt find any 345mm brakes. so the must be new to saab or something. i saw on saab forums about 320mm(i think)rotors but i recall them having to custom mounts and a lot of work to make them fit. plus they needed to use 18" wheels not becuase of diameter of rotor but the thickness, which is weird, but a lot of work either way. i saw sometihng about 4 piston brembo kit i dont rememebr the size though. but theres plenty of 314mm brakes slotted/drilled and stuff. oh yeah is there a particular application these brakes are used for? that might help when searching around.

Show
                        -20% tint

Comment

would the 12s or 13s have any problems rubbing the stock wheels?

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Here is a picture of the X braces on the bottom of a convertible, as requested.

GO VOLS

Comment

TNVOLSG6....thanks for the photo. Any others showing under the engine? That is the brace I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X