Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

I think the convertables front brace uses the same bolt holes that the engine cradle use,It looked like a pain in the butt to install.Possibly longer cradle bolts,the other two braces look easy to install.

Comment

mjf6175,

Another couple questions for your set-up here...

1) Would this still work for someone that's using 16" OE wheels? I have the five double-spoke 16" wheel for my snow tires... like this one:

I realize that your disk radius is only going up by 9mm (roughly a third of an inch). My current "gap" between the interior of the 16" wheel and the brake calliper is about 12 or 13 mm (1/2 inch). I guess the question here is: does the revised geometry of the new calliper and other parts (not just the rotor) mean that someone using 16" wheels would be out of luck?

2) What is the thickness of the 314 mm rotor? Would you be able to use the existing G6 calliper and stock pads (or equivalent) if you built a new bracket to hold the calliper further out from the axle?

Take Care,
      GraniteGrey
      Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

Awesome job mjf.....really you are a pioneer for the g6 community....I know sounds sarcastic but im not being....good job

The Official Silver Bullet Of The SWO....WHA WHAT...!

Comment

Gee-Six.....thanks for your compliment

GraniteGrey....I am about 99% sure 16 inch wheels will NOT work. The Saab comes with 17". You only have 2-3mm left of space with your 16" wheels, but look at page 1 at the photos of the calipers. Especially the ones that compare the stock and Saab. The ""head" area on the Saab is larger and I don't think the remaining 3mm of space is going to do it. In fact when you see these two calipers side by side the Saab looks huge and you would have a better idea of why 17" is needed.

On your other question....I don't off hand know the thickness, I have to look it up in a Saab manual or would have to pull a wheel. BUT.....making new brackets is a BIG task. Maybe looks easy, but unless you have access to a machine shop and a cad machine this is alot of trial and error. Even if you did this, what is the point? A larger rotor with the same caliper? Why? Just change the calipers too and get the full benefit of the larger brakes. There is a reason why Saab made the caliper bigger with the 314mm rotor.

Not to be a salesman for partsforsaabs.com, but their kit price is unbelieveable. Less than $650 for rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, and pads. People here are spending around $300 just for slotted or drilled rotors in the stock size.

But of course this is just IMHO and the decision is yours. Let me know what you do...............

Comment

mjf6175;

In late August 2008 I upgraded all four corners with KVR brakes and pads (KVR is out of Ottawa, ON). My costs included installation, but the parts only price for just the front end was C$320 (rotors and pads) plus taxes. So far I've only driven 8,400km with them, but I am definitely happy. They really bite quickly - I mean faster than the OE brakes - yet the peddle feel is very good too. I often find myself letting-up on the peddle after my initial press on the brake. I have been waiting for some significant distance (i.e. 25,000 km or so) to be piled on before I do a review. I also think it's important to go through a winter to see what effect the road salt has on my rotors. See my thread about it here.

My questions so far have been mainly for the benefit of others... I don't see doing this myself at this point. Of course, I'm quite curious about your work and pleased with your replies. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the OE brakes and your long-term findings with this Saab brake upgrade.

Take Care,
            GraniteGrey
            Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

Figure id put the explanation with the pics.

#1-Stock caliper with bracket (it is off the front driver side)

#2-Saab Caliper with bracket (the two holes are where the new bolts thread into) Notice how much larger Saab caliper is than stock caliper in pic #1

#3-Side view of Saab caliper

#4-Saab and SS rotors compared

#5-Drivers side spindle-looking at the backside. These are the two holes that have to be made slightly larger

#6-Hole at end of brake hose that has to be slightly larger to fit new banjo bolt

#7-The stock SS caliper and rotor (front driver side)

#8-Brake hose, banjo bolts and washers, caliper bracket bolt

#9-Saab Caliper and Rotor installed (compare to pic #7)

#10-Finished product

#11 is the vert brace, front one. Need a photo of this on a vert to help with the install. Anyone have a vert that could take a snap for me?

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
              Show
              -20% tint
              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

just saw that you wanted vert pics. i dont have it in the air but i ran out side to try to help a bit

from the front

front mounting bolt (drivers side) side view

front mounting bolt (drivers side) front view

zooming in toward the back

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Ahuhn....hey, a big thanks for posting the photos of the vert brace for me. They help. Without photos it is actually difficult to figure out how the brace bolts up, especially where the front part of the brace bolts to the chassis since the plactic cladding underneath on the sedan is different from a vert and covers up the bolt locations.

Comment

did they help? if you need more or anything let me know and ill see what i can do

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by mjf6175
                      5) Two Banjo Bolts that fit the Saab Caliper (they bolt the brake line to the back of the caliper)
                      6) Four washers for those same banjo bolts (two for each side)
                      7) Four Grade 10.9 Metric Bolts (14mm diameter x 45mm long with a 2.0 thread pitch) these bolt the caliper bracket to
                      the back of the spindle
                      Two new front brake hoses for your G6
                      5. Banjo bolt is Part 24436543 ($10.12 each)
                      6. Banjo bolt washer is Part 24430175 ($1.90 each)
                      7. Caliper Bolt (Torx) is Part 93171511 ($3.90 each)
                      8. G6 brakes hoses are Part 15806768 ($26.13) and Part 25874780 ($25.29)
                      2006 Malibu Maxx SS
                      2007 G6 GT Performance Package

Comment

Originally posted by globalepsilon
                        Originally posted by mjf6175
                        5) Two Banjo Bolts that fit the Saab Caliper (they bolt the brake line to the back of the caliper)
                        7) Four Grade 10.9 Metric Bolts (14mm diameter x 45mm long with a 2.0 thread pitch) these bolt the caliper bracket to
                        the back of the spindle
                        Two new front brake hoses for your G6
                        5. Banjo bolt is Part 24436543 ($10.12 each)
                        6. Banjo bolt washer is Part 24430175 ($1.90 each)
                        7. Caliper Bolt (Torx) is Part 93171511 ($3.90 each)
                        8. G6 brakes hoses are Part 15806768 ($26.13) and Part 25874780 ($25.29)
                        nice addition. thanks for the info.

TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                        Show
                        -20% tint

Comment

2006 Malibu Maxx SS
                          2007 G6 GT Performance Package

Comment

Congrats on the mod. Glad to see someone else doing this. May I ask how it went? Where did you get the parts from? I was able to cheat in drilling the aluminum upright for the larger bolts, I used an air drill. Did the mod at my friends shop. I hope my instructions where good enough to cover most of the work and that all went well for you.

Comment

Ive some research on this swap, which I plan to do this winter. With working in a Automotive store I have access to all the Aftermarket part numbers. When I find more numbers I'll put them up as a reference.

1) Two Calipers (Cardone w/ Brackets 19B3340 & 19B3341, 19-3340 & 19-3341 are w/out)( Altrom #2209129L & 2209129R)

2) Two Caliper Brackets (comes with B-series Cardone calipers)

3) Two Rotors (Wagner #BD180156/

4) Set of pads (Wagner thermoquiet MX or PD972 /Morse MX972, Ceramic is CMX972)(PBR D1664DP or D1664C for ceramic)

5) Two Banjo Bolts that fit the Saab Caliper (they bolt the brake line to the back of the caliper) (Carlson #H9407)

7) Four Grade 10.9 Metric Bolts (14mm diameter x 45mm long with a 2.0 thread pitch) these bolt the caliper bracket to the back of the spindle (Papco #612-442 is for 50mm for what ever reason they go from 40-50mm) Boltdepot.com has the 14mmx45mmx2.0p #6784

8.)Two new front brake hoses for your G6 (Saab Wagner # BH141450) (G6 Wagner Left #BH141158 Right #BH141159)

Now my question is will the Saab Flex lines fit on with a brass adapter or are the a totally different monster all together.The Saab ones come with the right banjo hole I would be more keen to go that route and just adapt the fitting then the whole machine shop route. I want to go 20" wheels and for now my brakes seem to small for my 16's .

Comment

Since you brought this topic back to life I thought I would add that is you go to the partsforsaabs.com website; the 314mm upgrade kit is not listed on their site anymore.

Show
                                -20% tint

Comment

Working...
                                X