Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 314mm (12.4 inch) Saab Front Brakes ARE ON!!!

wow
    nicely done man... great work
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Let me now try to answer some questions about the cost of this. You need to follow along closely since it can get confusing. To begin with I got the majority of the brake parts from ENGLAND. I am not sure if I can post the info here do to site rules. The company's specialty is Saab and has the name "parts for saabs". I am sure you can find it. This is what I got and its a package deal, below is copied from their web site:

314mm Front Brake Upgrade Kit

To Fit: Saab 9-3 Sports Saloon/Sedan/Combi & Convertible, all models 2003 onwards.

Kit consists of:

2 x 314mm Brake Disc
      2 x Calliper for 314mm Brakes
      2 x Carrier for Callipers
      1 Full set of pads to cover both callipers
      This kit does not include the 314mm disc back plates, original back plates will not fit with the larger discs if upgrading from 285 or 302mm discs. Whilst these are not essential to replace, we can provide genuine replacements if required.
      This genuine kit is intended to upgrade the brakes on cars originally fitted with 285mm or 302mm brake discs. Larger brakes mean better braking for all round safety & performance!

Now these are all BRAND NEW GM parts. I priced this at several Saab dealers and with "jobber pricing" I could not touch the package deal from these guys in England. Buying at a US Saab dealer the calipers are $370 each, rotors $125 each, caliper bracket $100 each, pads $80 and caliper clips (don't remember the price but about 5-10ea).

THE ENGLAND COMPANY WAS $550 for parts and another $100 for shipping to the US. Yes shipping does hurt the savings but the total cost is still a bunch less than buying here when you do the math. What is also a plus is that the calipers, brackets, clip and pads in this kit are all assembled and ready to mount. As a side note, there is NO need to change the backing plate at all. The stock plate fits behind just fine.

Now some of the thoughts I went thru......I wanted to use slotted and drilled rotors. So I asked the company if they would sell the package minus the rotors. This was a no go. You have to take the whole kit.

There is an alternative......... there is "brake warehouse" which sells remanufactured calipers. The 314mm Saab goes for about $95 each (plus a core charge). You then can get the slotted and/or drilled rotors as well which they also sell. You then can get the brake performance pads of you choice. If you went this route you would have to get the caliper brackets and clip from a Saab dealer. The bracket/clip is dealer only parts. Now before someone says that the calipers are not new, well yes. BUT there is not many parts to the caliper to begin with. Next they are remanufactured which is better ,and not the same as, a "rebuilt" caliper. There is a difference.

The remaining stuff-banjo bolts, washers, brake lines are not expensive and I got them at the US dealerships.

Comment

Can you pm the websites....

I am so into this setup.

Comment

SmartGTP......PM sent.

Comment

same here

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

black07g6gtp....Pm sent to you as well

Comment

forward me that PM, I'd like to check it out

My progression thread
                Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
                Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
                In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
                Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
                Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

Google "parts for saabs" and it's the first result.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                  TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                  Show
                  -20% tint
                  -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                  -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Thanks Leon....if you have trouble still finding the web site after following Leon's instruction then PM me.

Comment

mjf6175;

First, nice job on this. This kind of upgrade was discussed quite a while ago - but using a set-up from a Catera. It's nice to see someone actually took the time to do it.

As for performance, how are they relative to brake bias - front to rear. Does your front-end lock-up significantly sooner than the rear? What about the traction control or stability control? Does it remain effective or does having the bigger brakes at the front throw-off the calibration of these? I'm just wondering because the rear brakes were not modified if I've read things right.

I think most people on here are primarily concerned with how the OE brakes tend to warp over time. For me, it was every 20,000 km (about 12,000 miles) I needed to have something done at either the front or rear. It'll certainly be interesting to have you provide an update after you've put-on that kind of distance (or more).

Finally, I don't think there is any rule against posting links to suppliers or other web sites. You just can't do it for your own commercial gain... so if you have nothing to gain by letting others know where you got something, then you're fine. -- Moderators, please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Take Care,
                      GraniteGrey
                      Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

GraniteGrey....good questions and all of them have happy endings. To begin with I highly doubt that the Catera brakes would have worked. That model is not on the same platform (Epsilon) as the Malibu/G6/Saab/Saturn Aura.

Brake bias front to rear has not been afected at all. In fact the Saab 9-3 when equipped with the 345mm (13.6inch) front brakes come with only slightly larger rear rotors than what we have. Our cars have most (65%) of the static weight up front and when you brake even more weight is borne by the front wheels. So its the front brakes that do a major portion of the stopping and why I did not modify the rear brakes. If anything, I MAY in the future just add performance pads and slotted rotors in the back.

No effect on traction control and as far as the ABS it only monitors if the wheel is skidding, its "dumb" as to how big the brakes are. These are the brakes that GM should have put on our cars. In fact they did, only it is on the higher end Saabs.

Brakes warp due to heat, or more specfically the extreme heat cycles they go thru. The harder you are on your brakes the more apt warping will occur. Larger brakes-rotors, calipers, pads-lessen the tendency to warp since there is more "material" to absorb and dissipate the heat generated while braking. This results in that the rotors do not go thru such an extreme heat cycle which is a good thing.

For those interested you can go to partsforsaabs.com. Look at the categories on the left side of the page. Click on braking and follow from there. (Thanks Lampoon)

PS....I have another project under way. I sent out a throttle body to be polished and radiused. Its being done by a guy well known in the Corvette community. Spoke to him the other day and he agreed to take a look at the throttle body our cars use. You can find out more on him and his work at S2performance.net

Comment

Thats awesome!!
                            Chris White
                            http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                            2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                            2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                            2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                            2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                            2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

If i recall correctly, I don't think the non-verts have the holes for the brace in the front. I remember being under a sedan at the yard one time and noticing some differences.

i can't find the pic, my cam phone pics are all over the place.
                              The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

I think the "holes" maybe there. There is plastic cladding underneath blocking my view. But feeling around I can tell there is a bolt in the frame right in the area where the vert brace bolts up in the front of the car. To be sure I have to take those plastic shields off. It will have to wait until I get to use my buddies car lift again. Thanks for the help and let me know if you do find any of those pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X