Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little rust spots?

i just washed the car with the intent to wax
    while i was doing it i kept seeing these little spots that looked like rust spots all over it they were all comming off with a ton of scrubbing and they were the plastic panels as well so it wasnt the car rusting but anyone have any idea wtf it is and how to get it of??????

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Re: little rust spots?

I have no idea what it is... you might want to try mineral spirits...
    what plastic panels are they? could it be sap from a tree?

My progression thread
    Car: Black 2007 G6 V6 Sedan
    Done: Debadged, 20% tint, Stage 3/4 CRAB Intake, 08 radio w/aux, leather wheel and radio controls, DDM Tuning 6K HID's
    In Process (waiting on the install): Black Window Trim, GTP rims, Red painted Calipers
    Near Future: Red Angel Eyes, Cquence rotors, color matched headlights, LED tails+3rd brake light
    Down the Road: WAMS tune

Comment

not sap it litteraly looked like little round circles of rust about the size of like a pin head

it was mostly around the bottom of the door there was some on teh back bumper and the strips in the middle of the doors

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I get those on mind too.
        I've been told that they are break dust spots.
        They cant be rust, because they are on the plastic parts as well (back bumber etc)

Either way, they come off with a good scrubbing or clay.

R.I.P. 2005 - 2010

Had:
        15% tint, Recessed upper grilles, Tinted tails & Black emblem overlays, Custom Spoiler,
        Black painted calipers w/decals, debadged, Stebro Stainless Steel Exhaust System,
        Painted engine cover and Hood Liner, 18" Solstice rims & tires, ZZP Strut bar,
        Black leather seats, R1 cross drilled and slotted rotors, AIT front bumper!

Comment

pics?

Comment

It's not rust, at least not in that sense. Metal flakes from the road, such as snow plow blades, metallic brake pad dust... etc... adhere onto the plastic from driving (tires kicking it up etc..) and then those begin to rust. You can confirm this if you wash the panel and then take your hand and rub over the panel, you should little tiny bumps and whatnot. Use a claybar or wash it really good and it should all come off. Keep the panels coated and it should cut down the issue a lot.

Comment

ahhh ok thanks

Comment

I have the same problem on my white G6. Stopped in Parts Source last year, the guy working came out to my car with some Mother's Compound. Rubbed a little on the cloth, a little elbow grease and the spots dissapear instantly.

So I've left the problem till just this morning! HOLY CRAP there are so many now! So I went out and actually bought the Turtle Wax Cleaning Compound. I just tested a small area and it works great. I'm doing the whole job tomorrow... I'll get back here and post the results. Of course I'll be giving a wax job after as well.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                  It's not rust, at least not in that sense. Metal flakes from the road, such as snow plow blades, metallic brake pad dust... etc... adhere onto the plastic from driving (tires kicking it up etc..) and then those begin to rust. You can confirm this if you wash the panel and then take your hand and rub over the panel, you should little tiny bumps and whatnot. Use a claybar or wash it really good and it should all come off. Keep the panels coated and it should cut down the issue a lot.
                  ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                  .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

it is called RAIL DUST

it gets imbedded into your cars clear coat when the cars get loaded into the trains to go to the dealership distrobution point.

The clear is not all the way dry and takes on this "RAIL DUST" it drys in the clear only to look like pinheads of rust spots all over.

get a claybar and it will take care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                      it is called RAIL DUST

it gets imbedded into your cars clear coat when the cars get loaded into the trains to go to the dealership distrobution point.

The clear is not all the way dry and takes on this "RAIL DUST" it drys in the clear only to look like pinheads of rust spots all over.

get a claybar and it will take care of it!

yeah thats the tyopical reason but detail said that the plow blades have the same effect so its not just cause of RR tracks

Comment

Originally posted by G6Hoppy
                        I have the same problem on my white G6. Stopped in Parts Source last year, the guy working came out to my car with some Mother's Compound. Rubbed a little on the cloth, a little elbow grease and the spots dissapear instantly.

So I've left the problem till just this morning! HOLY CRAP there are so many now! So I went out and actually bought the Turtle Wax Cleaning Compound. I just tested a small area and it works great. I'm doing the whole job tomorrow... I'll get back here and post the results. Of course I'll be giving a wax job after as well.

Wish me luck!
                        The Turtle Wax compound worked OK. I was a little worried when it seemd to make scratches more noticable. Especially just above the license plate, small scratches from loading stuff in & out of the trunk, most likely from my hockey bag... that case of beer adds a lot of weight!

But after adding a coat of GM Jet Glaze, everything cleaned up nicely. I'll have to try another wax next time, not really feeling the Jet Glaze shine.... either that or invest in a nice buffer, my arms a dead!

Anyways, all the brake dust/rust spots are gone!

Comment

I get that too. But i just scrub and scrub til the ar e gone
                          87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
                          90 Eagle Talon TSI
                          09 G6 Progression(New Car)
                          My Progression

Comment

rotor flakes?

i had them on my car

Comment

Another term for it is "Industrial Fall Out"

Light colored cars are prone to get them, as mentioned already just claybar it and by keeping the car waxed it will cut down on the spots
                              2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium Edition
                              2.0 Turbo 5-Speed Automatic
                              Tsukuba Red

Comment

Working...
                              X