This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicklift Hood Struts Rubbing on Fender/Bolts

I just noticed this today while cleaning under the hood. It seems the tube part of the strut is rubbing against one of the bolts on the fender, and it appears that the bracket attached to the hood is rubbing on a small area on the fender as well. I've attached pics, and circled all the parts that are rubbing. Anybody else experience this, or did I just measure wrong when I did the installation?

-Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Hold on I will go look....

And I am back. I have the ones on the fender. And it appears perhaps the beginning of one on the cylinder.
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13

And I am back. I have the ones on the fender. And it appears perhaps the beginning of one on the cylinder.
      I got the Base Edition.. so Mines a Manual Hood

Comment

Originally posted by sammyboy405

the hood struts are aftermarket parts from redline tuning. no G6s come with them stock:

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-PON-G6-05+.html

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
          Originally posted by sammyboy405

the hood struts are aftermarket parts from redline tuning. no G6s come with them stock:

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-PON-G6-05+.html
          really SWEET did not know that. thanks for the info.

Comment

no problem. there are a couple threads around about installation and people's opinions of them. just search for 'quick lifts' or 'hood struts' or something similar and you should get some hits.

Comment

Ok so far that's two of us with problems. Anyone else?
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

make that three

mine arent as bad as yours, and i for sure have them tucked into the hood as far as they can go

i took a close look at it and seems like the metal piece that is rivoted bends out toward car

if could bend back a little would fix that rubbing problem, and the one on the bolt would either have to sand bolt down some or replace with a smaller one

the strut is rubbing way worse than the the the other

Comment

__Thanks for pointing this out to us... we will look into to it from our end and see what we come up with. It appears that there is very tight tolerance in the fender lip area where they are installed. A quick and easy fix is to lower your hood, letting it rest on the latch before closing. Look down the fender line from the front and not exactly where the contact is being made. Then mark the contactng area of the fender bolt with a marker. Remove the fender bolt, file down the contacting area, tough up with body color tough-up paint and then reinstall.

__By doing so you should be able to solve this problem. There is one other vehicle that has a similar problem - the 79-98 Mustang - they have fender bolt in the same position that is impossible to avoid. A slight filing and reinstallation will solve this problem - we will update the installation manual.

Thanks,
                  Brian
                  Redline Tuning

Comment

^Now THAT is customer service!

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Yeah, I emailed them the thread so they could address it directly...

John

Comment

I noticed the rubbing too but I just thought it was my inexperience on the install.Looks like when I pull my headlights I'll have some other things to do under the hood.
                        2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

i dont have the quicklifts, but it looks like you could just put a rubber cover over that bolt on the fender? some little 10 cent thing from lowes or something...thats just a thought...seems easier
                          You're doing it all wrong...you gotta cup the balls, relax the jaw...

Comment

I removed the body bolts and took them to the bench grinder. Grinded the little ridge off the top and re-painted them. I'll let you know in a couple of days if the new paint is wearing. I also bent the hood brackets up a little to see if that helps.
                            2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Minor rubbing doesn't bother me, but if this is detrimental to anything then I have worries.....

Comment

Working...
                              X