Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's anything serious for now. However I have worries about anything that starts rubbing paint off. Nightmares of rust haunt me. I don't want to be one of "those" cars.
    2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Sumbitch. Yep, mine's doing it too.
      ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

__It appears our test vehicle is okay. However, after looking over the vehicle it is clear that there is very little clearance in the fender lip where the gas springs reside once the hood is closed.

__Obviously everyone here likely has them already installed not sitting in the packaging, so mentioning to very careful to install the hood brackets as tightly to the hood skin as possible won't help much. The easiest solution is to file the leading edge of the hood bracket (that makes contact), along with the fender bolt as described earlier. There is so little room that any variation in installation or even between vehicles reduces available clearance.

If anyone has any questions, please contact us.

Comment

I just ordered and installed the Elite quick lifts. The passenger side is rubbing, and now I have a rust spot on the gas cylinder!
          I'll be exchanging the fender bolts with cap head bolts. If you don't know what a cap head is, it's a bolt with a radiused head with a hex.
          When I get back to work, I'll remove one and get the thread size.
          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I just installed my hood struts and both sides were rubbing (paint came off the strut right away).

The bolt on the driver side was rubbing. I was about to file it down when I noticed it was loose. Loose enough for me to turn it by hand (GM quality for ya). I tightened it up, turned the hood stop rubber plug thingies a half turn up, and it stopped rubbing.

The passenger side was also rubbing, but not nearly as much. This bolt was actually tight. I filed it slightly and it was fine.

So, I guess if it wasn't already obvious, before filing your bolts you should make sure they're tight. You might also be able to get away with lifting the hood stops a little, although I don't think I would turn them more than half a turn each.

Comment

yea I might try raising those hood stops a bit. I also put small pieces of velcro (soft side up) on the fenders where the hood brackets were rubbing against.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                yea I might try raising those hood stops a bit. I also put small pieces of velcro (soft side up) on the fenders where the hood brackets were rubbing against.
                Tell us if that worked for you. I'm still gonna try and replaced my fender bolts with cap head bolts. If I ever go back to work again. They are free there. I don't think there's a bolt place in town.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Just put my quicklifts in couple days ago. looked under the hood today to find out that their rubbing. i touched up the spot that were rubbed off and put some cushion over top of the spots. For the fender bolts that hit the quicklift, would it be possible to take the bolt out and put in a thick rivet? not sure if it would work or not. otherwise ill just shave the head of the bolt.
                  2006 GT, GTP Ulra-Bright Wheels, GTP Exhaust, Painted dual lower valence, Middle mirrors, Bottom rocker panels, Red Calipers, GM Strut Bar, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, G6 all weather floor mats, Debadged, Chrome lower grill accents and Chrome shift knob
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645473

JUST ARRIVE: CRAB INTAKE!!!

Comment

I saw someone was gonna put felt or some rubber pad there from like Home Depot or Lowes. Has anyone tried this? And has it helped. I'm getting ready to go out and check if mine are rubbing. The man will kill me if I tell him he needs to do something else to these things. I just got done having him install them, and then put the CAI in. I ask him to do something else I"m gonna owe him for life
                    2006 G6 GT- Custom Dual Exhuast. Red Line Quicklifts. Debadged. Dr. Speed CAI Stage 3.Arrowhead hoodliner.

Comment

mine aren't rubbing
                      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Mine actually isn't rubbing yet, except where that little pin snaps in? I have an indentation there. Just gotta put a little sponge piece there to stop it.
                        2006 G6 GT- Custom Dual Exhuast. Red Line Quicklifts. Debadged. Dr. Speed CAI Stage 3.Arrowhead hoodliner.

Comment

just shaved off the bolts and bracket that were rubbing. seems to look like no more rubbing(hopefully). only bad part was i had to shave the bracket that i had painted white doesnt look that good touch up (really sucks)
                          2006 GT, GTP Ulra-Bright Wheels, GTP Exhaust, Painted dual lower valence, Middle mirrors, Bottom rocker panels, Red Calipers, GM Strut Bar, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, G6 all weather floor mats, Debadged, Chrome lower grill accents and Chrome shift knob
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645473

JUST ARRIVE: CRAB INTAKE!!!

Comment

I wonder why all you guys need quicklift hood? Just wonder.

My 2003 GP have quicklift hood but it's from gm. What wrong with hood rod? It is bother you on way or something?

Comment

Originally posted by palsut
                              I wonder why all you guys need quicklift hood? Just wonder.

My 2003 GP have quicklift hood but it's from gm. What wrong with hood rod? It is bother you on way or something?
                              1) It's something that GM should have included with the car.
                              2) It's a lot easier to work in the engine bay if you don't have a prop rod in the way.
                              3) They're COOL!

sigpic
                              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Sometime, I change the oil for my girlfriend's g6. I don't used have hood rod on my way but it take time to used that.

Yes, it is look cool but I'm surprise G6 don't have quicklift hood like my 2003 gp have. I guess GM stop make quicklift hood or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X