Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm found another site with headlamp assemblys for 90.79 (101.08 after shipping)

not sure what brand as it doesnt really say, but check it out

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,PONTI ... d+V6+FI+(8)

Comment

Question about this--possibly a future Mod (have to have the G6 delivered first)

So, i've been looking into this and I'd think for the 08's, using a heat gun, it would be possible to pry the thing apart (if i read the posts on it right, assuming the 08's use the butyl seal rather than epoxy). Assuming my assumption is correct, i was thinking of doing a black chrmoe look (similar to the wheels) rather than painting straight black.

Now, I'm not a painting expert in any means, but would this be as simple as spraying the thing with black laquer for an even finish to the darkenss I want, and then clearcoat, or would this necessitate a good deal of prep work like sanding and multiple coats of a black-chrome like finish?

Thanks, and my apologies if i picked the wrong thread...
      "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
      ~~GWAR's description of Hell
      SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

im not so sure the heat gun is gonna work, people are baking them in ovens and are still having problems with that seal

as for painting, i just sand the ones i do to a gray finish and then do a couple layers of paint and a few layers of clear

Comment

Hmmm...i'll see what i can dig up as possible ways to get thsat out...perhaps a chemical solevent???

Anyhow, the thing is, if i'm going for a black chrome look, to me, it seems counter-productive to sand off the already-chromed finish. Rather, it seems intuitive to just use some black laqure over it, and then clear coat. Seeing as how i'm not an expert in paints by any means, I was just wondering if there would be issues of peeling, or the laquer not coating it properly.

But thanks though...

Comment

you could buy 06 lights to paint so you would have yours just in case and they'd be easier to open

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
            Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
            Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
            -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

I was actually pondering that.

I just need to know if the black laquer will stick to the chrome...:P

Comment

i would still rough it up some

Comment

But wouldn't that totally lose the effect I'm going for? After all, if i'm looking at the pics right, it would then just be black laquered yellowish plastic.

Or would the safest bet be to sand it all off, chrome-paint it, then laquer, then clearcoat? I'm basically wanting to mimic the looks of the wheels i'm getting (the P79's) on both the grilles and the headlights.

At least, that's my plan

Comment

Re: **PLEASE READ BEFORE MODDING HEADLIGHTS**

im sorry but im a little lost here...what mod are u guys speaking of?cause i was about to get some Xenons for my headlights and fogs...im not going to have this problem right?and does anyone have any suggestions for which lights to get?

Mods: 35% tint in front, 20% in rear, debadged, smoked tails, red LED underdash lights, 10" Kicker sub, Kicker ZX200.2 amp, painted red brake calipers, white LED license plate light, CRAB CAB, lower grille chrome accents, Avital 2100 alarm system, Ratek 8000k HID lows, 3000k Blue Zone fogs, PAC integrated iPod adapter

Comment

They're talking about actually baking your headlights to take them apart and putting them back together...it was causing stress marks. You don't need to take yours apart to change the bulbs. This is more for painting them, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmush44
                        im sorry but im a little lost here...what mod are u guys speaking of?cause i was about to get some Xenons for my headlights and fogs...im not going to have this problem right?and does anyone have any suggestions for which lights to get?
                        They're talking about removing the housing to paint the bezel - definitely not something you need to do to install HIDs.
                        ? CRAB CAB Intake (Lampoon)
                        ? GT-R Exhaust (GT-R)
                        ? Kustom Dekalz Overlays (Schenko)
                        ? Twin 12" JL W6-V2 subs ?
                        ? Dynoed @ 207.4 WHP & 215.1 Ft-Lb

Comment

you wont have to take apart headlights to change the bulbs

i say go with HIDs, but that is me.

Comment

yea thats what i was thinking...just wanted to make sure tho...thanks

Mods: 35% tint in front, 20% in rear, debadged, smoked tails, red LED underdash lights, 10" Kicker sub, Kicker ZX200.2 amp, painted red brake calipers, white LED license plate light, CRAB CAB, lower grille chrome accents, Avital 2100 alarm system, Ratek 8000k HID lows, 3000k Blue Zone fogs, PAC integrated iPod adapter

Comment

im tryin to get some halos...in red but im not sure where i could find some any info?

Comment

check with vendor on this site: unique coatings

or

aac

Comment

Working...
                                X