Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two question about tap-shift.

Originally posted by tommy2tone
    for everyone that uses the tap shift to slow down when you see cops think about using the E-brake, no nose dive and no brake lights.
    haha unless you give it too much and throw yourself into a fish tail
    Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
    I <3 Cody.

No homo.
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

I would if I had a handle. I don't feel comfortable using a pedal like that while in motion (unless for it's intended emergency purpose).

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

I have the handle and I'd never use it for that while driving more than 5mph. A friend did in his car and left a flat spot that felt like a Flintstones car.
        Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
        I <3 Cody.

No homo.
        i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Wouldn't downshifting to slow the car be bad for the transmission.

And my ebrake sucks. I think there's not enough tension in the line because it barely slows down the car when engadged fully.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
            thats to bad about the no up shift thing, but thats awesome about the downshift into M when you see a cop... good idead.
            Not a good idea I've tried that in my 05 6 GT and when you do drop it down a gear from high speeds you're using the engine to brake (engine braking) its MORE stress and wear and tear on the tranny and engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k

And my ebrake sucks. I think there's not enough tension in the line because it barely slows down the car when engadged fully.
              lol yes.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
              Show
              -20% tint
              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Originally posted by tommy2tone
                for everyone that uses the tap shift to slow down when you see cops think about using the E-brake, no nose dive and no brake lights.
                i dont get nose dive when im doing 75 and knock down to 3rd so i dont know wut ur talkin about.

Originally posted by EvolutionOX
                Not a good idea I've tried that in my 05 6 GT and when you do drop it down a gear from high speeds you're using the engine to brake (engine braking) its MORE stress and wear and tear on the tranny and engine.
                there is some engine wear but if it was so bad for the engine then why do diesels down shift going down hills (engine break) i use the engine to slow me down alot, so far i have 60,000+ miles on the car and no problems wut so ever

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k

no, unless you over do it. if you throw the car in third doing 50, thats bad. in moderation, it wont hurt it much. it will bring the tranny life down, but only by maybe a couple thousand miles.
                  i use to downshift my truck (automatic, btw) to slow it, in moderation, never at a drastic speed, n i never had tranny issues til after 150,000 miles. this is also the same truck that hauled for us for years, so that tranny was put through a lot of crap.

i use my tapshift to slow my 6 down on occasion, mostly if i see a cop, or if theres a jerk tailgatin me
                  it's more habit now cause i'm more used to drivin a stick these days as well, so that habit carried over when i got the 6

if it was that bad for the car, the tap shift wouldnt be an option, since it would be too much of a liability to warranty it

Originally posted by acxdarlene
                  no...all i did was help u guys w/ ur collection of blonds

Comment

There's a big difference downshifting a stick and downshifting an auto in manual mode. We don't have a clutch to slip to help protect the engine/trans from excessive damage.

That being said, I still do it all the time - shift to 3rd and coast down exit ramps, ran down a mountain in 2nd once. It's probably not the best thing to do, but the 4t65e is one of the most solid GM trans in modern history I'd wager, so I think she'll be ok. I might need to flush it a little more often though, since the higher rpm exposure could bake the fluid.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

there cars drive it like one, dont be all prissy about it. thats like people buying shoes and get pissed when they get dirty, there shoes thats wut there suppose to do. so drive ur car like a car thats why the make new ones, when urs gets old beat up and doesnt work anymore get a new one

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

lol i know

my main point was, done in moderation, n closer to the point where the car would downshift on its own, it wont hurt it much.
                        n im glad we have solid trannys. im ready for a good one after my truck, in all honesty.

lol Josh

Or, just replace the trans, as done in my trucks case. cheaper than gettin a new car, specially when it still runs great

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
                          there cars drive it like one, dont be all prissy about it. thats like people buying shoes and get pissed when they get dirty, there shoes thats wut there suppose to do. so drive ur car like a car thats why the make new ones, when urs gets old beat up and doesnt work anymore get a new one
                          That's just not a logical comparison. An $85 dollar pair of shoes to a $17,000 dollar car that also happens to be the daily transportation for most of us to get to work....to pay for the car AND those nice pairs of kicks.

But as Worm said, the 4t65 is a great tranny. I'm not sure we may even have the 4t65HD which would be even better. Keep up routine maintenance, maybe even get a trans oil cooler, and you should be set.

Comment

LOL this is a good discussion...
                            I never thought that my questions would open this can-o-worms LOL
                            this is all good information, keep it up fellas (and ladies if any have participated)
                            2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

this has been a pretty good debate
                              i dont think itll hurt my car the small amount i do downshift it, but then again, this is also comin from the same person who has dealt with tranny issues before, n i fixed the truck both times.
                              the 6's break, well, then its just goin to get a new one, or get fixed.
                              my theory is stuff happens, stuff breaks. sometimes doesnt matter if you baby it, sometimes matters if you do. you never know tho, n id rather take a small chance n enjoy my car for all its worth its mostly just my daily driver, but i still want to have a lil fun in it.
                              thats just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistinTommy
                                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                                That's just not a logical comparison. An $85 dollar pair of shoes to a $17,000 dollar car that also happens to be the daily transportation for most of us to get to work....to pay for the car AND those nice pairs of kicks.

But as Worm said, the 4t65 is a great tranny. I'm not sure we may even have the 4t65HD which would be even better. Keep up routine maintenance, maybe even get a trans oil cooler, and you should be set.
                                I do it sometimes but yeah the people that have the 4t65E don't have the HD version.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

Working...
                                X