X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40-6 Speed MTX

RPO code:
    MT2 - Transmission - Man 6 Spd, Opel, 83 mm, 3.77 1st, 0.62 6th (F40 WR)
    FP9 - Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.55

Also known as F40

Fluid Capacity and Specifications:
    3.1 liters (3.3 quarts)
    Manual Transmission Fluid
    API AI-A or GL-4 SAE 75W-80
    GM P/N 21018899 (Canadian P/N 12799117)

The manual 6 speed gearbox has synchronizers on all gears, including reverse. To improve synchronization, the hub for 1st/2nd has three cones. 3rd/4th and reverse has a double cone, and 5th/6th has a single cone.

Gear Ratios:
    FIRST 3.77
    SECOND 2.04
    THIRD 1.32
    FOURTH 0.95
    FIFTH 0.76
    SIXTH 0.62
    REVERSE 3.54
    FINAL DRIVE RATIO 3.55:1
    Colin.
    06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
    90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

2007 GME Germany F40 ( MU9 )

Type: transverse front wheel drive, six-speed manual transaxle
    Engine range: GM 3.9L V6 ( LZ9 )
    Maximum engine torque: 245 lb-ft ( 333 Nm)
    Maximum gearbox torque: 295 lb-ft ( 400 Nm )

Gear ratios: MU9
    First: 3.769
    Second: 2.040
    Third: 1.365
    Fourth: 1.048
    Fifth: 0.846
    Sixth: 0.707
    Reverse: 3.538
    Final Drive Ratio: 3.55

Maximum validated gross vehicle weight: 3527 lb ( 1600 kg )
    Case material: aluminum
    Center distance: 197 mm
    Fluid type: Castrol BOT 0063
    Transmission weight: wet: 56 kg ( 123.5 lb )
    Fluid capacity (approximate): 3.1L / 3.27 qt. ( dry )
    Power take off: no
    Applications: Pontiac G6

2007 F40 (MU9)

2007 Model Year Summary
    General Motors Powertrain-Europe F40 six-speed manual car transaxle

● New Detent System For Quicker And Easier Shifting
    ● Gear Ratio Changes For Quicker Acceleration

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

NEW DETENT SYSTEM FOR QUICKER AND EASIER SHIFTING
    The addition of a ball-and-spring-type detent on the shift sleeve and detents on the shift rail assists the driver in shifting quicker. The detent raises the force required to move the shift lever which prevents excess movement of the shifter by the driver, and reduces the chance of double bump. Tension between the shift sleeve and the shift rail also prevents the sleeve from vibrating while in gear.

GEAR RATIO CHANGES FOR QUICKER ACCELERATION
    To adapt the F40 to North American applications and maximize performance, 3rd through 6th gears have been changed to higher-ratio gears. The ratio for 3rd gear is now 1.37:1, and the ratio for 4th gear is no longer an overdrive, with a new ratio of 1.05:1. The 5th gear ratio is 0.85:1 and the 6th gear ratio is 0.71:1.

LOW MAINTENANCE

The MT2/MU9 uses a Castrol Burmah (BOT 0063) manual transmission fluid, and is validated as "fill-for-life". No maintenance is required for normal operation.

OVERVIEW

Originally a design developed for Fiat, Opel and Saab applications, the F40 (MT2) is a GM Powertrain - Europe six-speed manual transaxle built in Russelsheim, Germany. Its first use in a North American application was the Pontiac G6 for the 2006 model year. It is also used in some Saab 9-3 and 9-5 models.

It is a three-axis design, with first, second, fifth, and sixth gears on an output shaft behind and below the input shaft, and third and fourth gears are on an output shaft in front of and above the input shaft. Both output shaft pinions drive a helical gear with a conventional differential. The clutch is mounted on a dual-mass flywheel to dampen vibrations on whichever output shaft is idle depending upon which gear is selected.

The F40 is cast in aluminum, and weighs 124 pounds (see specs). It has been certified for up to 400 Nm of engine torque.

Triple-cone synchronizers are used on 1st and 2nd gears. These synchronizers have three friction surfaces, which increase their ability to transfer the flow of torque more smoothly from one gear to another. Synchronizers act as clutches to speed up or slow down the gearsets that are being shifted to, and greater friction area results in easier shifting for the driver. The 3rd, 4th, and reverse synchronizers are double-cone, while the 5th and 6th gear synchronizers are single-cone. All of the friction surfaces on the synchronizer rings are sintered bronze. The ratios in the 6-speed are widely spaced for versatile performance and efficiency.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

And what that means folks is that a 2007 GT with the Performance Package (3900 and F40) will outperform a 2006 GTP.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I like the gearing in the new trans a lot more than in the 06. I may have to start bitching a lot so that they give me the new one.
        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Actually i dont think they will outperform the 06 GTP 3900 at all.. from what i've read they aren't even making the 3900 engine an option anymore
          2006 G6 GTP 6speed--Wideview Prime HIDs, Custom Tint, Stage4 CAI, and Geniune GM warrenty work!

Comment

Originally posted by Aleo8104
            Actually i dont think they will outperform the 06 GTP 3900 at all.. from what i've read they aren't even making the 3900 engine an option anymore
            Where'd you read that? It's an option on the GT now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aleo8104
              huh?
              04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
              Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

One of the guys that just joined (ovously I forgot his screen name) but he has an 07 Convertable GT with the optional 3900 in it.
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

anyone know for fact what year and trim is the fastest?
                  06BlkGTP 6spd coupe.
                  D.S CAI+Stage 4.
                  Tune Time Performance Tune.
                  Red painted calipers.
                  GT-R Exhaust
                  GM Strut Bar
                  Red LEDs under dash
                  PowerSlot Cryo Rotors + Hawk Pads
                  Hammerhead

Comment

Originally posted by blkgtp
                    anyone know for fact what year and trim is the fastest?
                    If you have a 2006 G6 GTP with the revised tranny, you probably have a slightly quicker car. The revised F40 6 MT was on GTP's built after January 1, 2006.
                    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                    Forge Motorsports BPV
                    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

The 2006 GTP (w/ revised ratios), 2007 GT Sport (while it was made), and the 2007 3.6L GTP all seem to have virtually identical times. If you truly know how to shift though, I'm pretty sure the 6MT 3900s squeek a tenth of a second out ahead of the 3.6L automatics.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                      - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                      - DS S3 Intake
                      - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I just bought a 07 3900 MT, and I am not sure if I have the F40 you all are talking about... where can I look to check that?

Comment

If yours is an 07, you should have it.

Black 2007 GT coupe with Sport Package.
                          DoctorSpeed CAB, 5/15% tint, G5 spoiler, Euro Black Tailz, GM Strut Bar, GY Eagle F1 A/S Tires.

Comment

Any and all 3900's with the MT option will have the F40.

sigpic

Comment

What speed(MPH) do you usually switch into 6th? I usually wait till about 65 mph.
                              Dont BOV or your going to cause a boost spike and leak blinker fluid causing you to lock up your muffler bearings.
                              Eric # whatever
                              newbiestyle:
                              holy shiatfcuk its heebs!!

Comment

Working...
                              X