Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can go into 6th at 60km/h, which is about ~40MPH. I usually am doing at least 60MPH nowadays though.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I usually get into 6th doing 40mph on flat land or I will use 5th if it's a hill until around 45-50mph.

Comment

So, what your saying is that it is safe for your engine and tranny to be going 45 mph in 6th at like only 600 RPM? From what I've heard and done all my driving life, is that unless your in 1st gear, always stay above 1500 rpm. Maybe I was taught wrong, I dont know. Oh well, I have a 100,000 mile warranty in case I scew something up.
        Dont BOV or your going to cause a boost spike and leak blinker fluid causing you to lock up your muffler bearings.
        Eric # whatever
        newbiestyle:
        holy shiatfcuk its heebs!!

Comment

There's nothing unsafe about it, but you will use more fuel.

Engines run rich at lower RPM's, so it's best to keep them at above 1200RPM. As I said, I usually am running at more than 60MPH now when I go into sixth.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by GTPHeebs
            So, what your saying is that it is safe for your engine and tranny to be going 45 mph in 6th at like only 600 RPM? From what I've heard and done all my driving life, is that unless your in 1st gear, always stay above 1500 rpm. Maybe I was taught wrong, I dont know. Oh well, I have a 100,000 mile warranty in case I scew something up.
            Actually 45mph is more like 1500 RPM, not 600.
            Plus, you are right, you have 100,000 miles to figure it out.

Black 2007 GT coupe with Sport Package.
            DoctorSpeed CAB, 5/15% tint, G5 spoiler, Euro Black Tailz, GM Strut Bar, GY Eagle F1 A/S Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 07GT3900
              Not to argue, but I did it today on the highway, (straight road, no hills) and 45 mph in 6th gear brought me to a hair over 600 rpm. I usually try to keep my rpm driving speed about the idle speed. If that makes any sence.
              Dont BOV or your going to cause a boost spike and leak blinker fluid causing you to lock up your muffler bearings.
              Eric # whatever
              newbiestyle:

Comment

Not to argue, but I did it today on the highway, (straight road, no hills) and 45 mph in 6th gear brought me to a hair over 600 rpm. I usually try to keep my rpm driving speed about the idle speed. If that makes any sence.
                Actually, I am confused. What engine and trans. do you have?
                My G6 3900 with the F40 6MT was at precicely 1500RPM at 45 MPH in 6th gear today. I paid particular attention.
                Are we talking about the same engine and trans.?

DoctorSpeed CAB, 5/15% tint, G5 spoiler, Euro Black Tailz, GM Strut Bar, GY Eagle F1 A/S Tires.

Comment

I will hit my self if I am wrong, but I've got a 06 GTP with the 6 speed manual.
                  Eric # whatever
                  newbiestyle:

Comment

I believe you, I am just trying to figure out the huge difference in what I have vs. yours.
                    could it be the 06 vs. 07 gearing?
                    Any other casual observers with some input?

Comment

06 and 07's have different gear ratio's.

sigpic

Comment

My 2006, on the way to work this morning, does not even go to 600 RPM in sixth. It stays at 800 rpm, which is about 45 km/hr or 28 mph. 45 mph at 1500 sounds pretty close.

Comment

6th Gear:
                          45mph - 1300rpm
                          50mph - 1500rpm

On my 2006 GTP Coupe

Comment

I guess that I was a little off with the RPM speed. Usually at about 1000 to 1100. (*kick self in head*) As I said earlier, I was always told that driving under 1500rpm (unless in 1st gear) isnt the best thing to do. Maybe im wrong.

As you can see the date codes are only a few hours apart. The engine was warm, so that shouldnt have affected the reading.
                            Eric # whatever
                            newbiestyle:

Comment

This makes more sense. Now the slight difference in gearing between 06 and 07 will justify a couple hundred RPM instead of like 900.
                              Thanks for clearing that up!! I was begining to think something was wrong with mine.

Comment

This makes more sense. Now the slight difference in gearing between 06 and 07 will justify a couple hundred RPM instead of like 900.
                                Thanks for clearing that up!! I was begining to think something was wrong with mine.
                                My apology too, I missled ya'll with the 600.
                                Eric # whatever
                                newbiestyle:

Comment

Working...
                                X