Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

I've been looking all over for info on what can be done to this motor, performance wise. Has anyone done an upgrade of any sort to the internals of this motor (ex. bored out, cam, rods, port & polish, etc.)? I'm about to do all this to this motor but would like to know if anyone has any experience doing this to this particular motor and what I should look out for. Or if anyone knows where I can get an available performance cam, crank, rods, pistons, etc. that would be very helpful. Any info. Thanks!
    3.9L LZ9 out of '06 GTP
    '06 3.9L VVT Engine Rebuild
    '91 Chevy Beretta GT 3.1L 5spd.

Re: 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

ummmmm no

but let us know what you do and take pics. be glad to hear what you can accomplish

you near arizona? we need your engine for a header fab

Comment

Most folks use bolt on mods as there isn't a whole lot available for that motor (or the 3.5 or 3.6) from major performance vendors. Check out the performance thread as there is a bunch of stuff there but again almost all bolt on. The type of work you want to do will be "custom" and cost a bunch of $$$$, which most of us don't have. Head work would probably help your motor breath better as would a higher lift cam with more duration then the factory grind. If you move forward, keep us posted and don't forget

Comment

yeah nothin yet you can do.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
        TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
        Show
        -20% tint
        -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
        -Professionally heated seats

Comment

One guy supposidly port and polished it.. i'm not sure if he was going to attempt to bore or not...but never posted pictures or anything and never said if he finished it.
          2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
          Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
          Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
          2005 CGM GTO.
          386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
          2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

that guy also ripped a few people off and disappeared

Comment

looked into it but determined it would be a waste of money for me to go any sort of expensive NA route at my elevation...

noone currently has any grinds out for cams, and the couple companies i shot emails to never returned them about doing a custom grind...
              as far as the rest of the internals, the only thing that anyone really knows about the insides is that the ls6 valvesprings will directly replace ours, though i dont even know either spring rate.

the person you want to talk to would be sappy, the guy from 60degreev6 as he is planning on doing similar things to an lz9 for productionu soon... you might want to head over to that forum too, they have a lot more actual technical engine knowledge

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

don't leave us hanging with high hopes! lol
                18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

This engine did belong to a donor G6 that had to die for me to get this. I'm currently enrolled in a high performance course in Dayton,OH. I will definitely take lots of pics as I go along, as it'll add more 411 on this motor.
                  '06 3.9L VVT Engine Rebuild
                  '91 Chevy Beretta GT 3.1L 5spd.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                    One guy supposidly port and polished it...
                    what does that mean? go ahead, call me a dumbass, but ive heard that and idk what it means
                    Packers Record: 4-4
                    Steelers Record: 5-2
                    Cyclones Record: bad
                    High School STATE QUARTERFINALS!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarMentality
                      Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                      One guy supposidly port and polished it...
                      what does that mean? go ahead, call me a dumbass, but ive heard that and idk what it means
                      why dont you just google it insted of looking like a newb? lol

TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                      Show
                      -20% tint

Comment

^lol i got it. thanks
                        Packers Record: 4-4
                        Steelers Record: 5-2
                        Cyclones Record: bad
                        High School STATE QUARTERFINALS!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarMentality
                          ^lol i got it. thanks
                          haha i was fucking with you, you know.

Show
                          -20% tint

Comment

I don't want to sound like a n00b but...............
                            What's an engine?

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                            Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Originally posted by popsicle
                              I don't want to sound like a n00b but...............
                              What's an engine?

you and your newb bullshit popsickle.

Show
                              -20% tint

Comment

Working...
                              X