Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.9L LZ9 internal upgrades & modification query.

Originally posted by popsicle
    I don't want to sound like a n00b but...............
    What's an engine?

oh shut up. im retarded, not dumb
    Packers Record: 4-4
    Steelers Record: 5-2
    Cyclones Record: bad
    High School STATE QUARTERFINALS!!

Comment

Problem is, esp on an unexplored engine like the 3900 you dont know what the outcome is going to be. Its very easy for me to say, bore out the pistons. (just a side note the 3900 has the same bore as the 5.7L V And go to a machine shop and get the engine bored to say a 6.0L size. Maybe you just picked up 20 HP to the wheels but now you just tanked out 3mpg for 20 HP which isnt worth it and now your stuck. Then again you might lose .5 MPG and pick up 30 HP. No one knows.

On the Cams, several people I have talked to on the 3900, since it has VVT no one wants to touch it as they dont know the outcome will be. I was told, ditch the VVT and a cam could be done to the 3900. i dont know how true that is.

On the intake manifold, just talked yeasterday to a guy that really knows his stuff and has seen a 3900 upclose with the manifolds, he said there is a bit of room of port the intake manifold to fit the gasket sizing but he isnt convensed yet to he plays with one that anything will be gained.

Only thing left, is suposivly the LS7 V8 rocker arms will fit the 3900. There 1.8 lift from our 1.7s Ussally if you could put them on the intake and exhaust valves you would pick up around 10HP. How the 3900 has an offset bore, you can only fit them on one valve not both. Forget if intake or exhaust, so that leaves you with a theretical 5hp pick up on the high RPM band and your getting stuck with 16 of them and you can only use 6, out of the pocket cost around 600 dollars.

Only thing can be done "safely" for proven not waste of your money performance on the 3900, CAI, PCM tune, exhaust. All 3 done, you will be locking at 20-25 HP to the ground pick up and around 12-15 LBS or torque.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I agree with what you just said, it seems as if the engine is limited to bolt ons. It would be great to have a nice pair of tubular shorties and a y-pipe, but that seems like it will never happen on a mass produced scale.

To the OP, good luck with your engine tinkering.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dre. I will definitely look into the pistons, I was worried about that. The cam issue, I will have to see how it works and look into what can be done. I'm not so worried about the MPG right now, per say, as this will be the engine to my "toy".
          I will be blue-printing the whole thing. And I believe we will be sonic testing the cylinders. So that will help with what this thing can be safely bored out to. I'll try to post what I find.
          Does no one make Stainless headers for this engine yet?
          Another question on hand is, does GM offer like an indepth informative &/illustrative book for this motor? Usually this is reserved for technicians.

And Dre, I like your little line about diesel... I'm a VW tech and have to deal with them often. I don't know though...40+mpg on the 4cyl. Or 553lb.torque @ 2k rpm for the V10.
          '06 3.9L VVT Engine Rebuild
          '91 Chevy Beretta GT 3.1L 5spd.

Comment

Its diesel! Slow, loud, smell, messy I acaually have a durmax diesel 6.6L on my chevy express box truck. I got a PCM tune on it for MPG and with a load of with 1500 lbs its faster then my 4.9L chevy express van unloaded! I do like the duramax, first diesel engine ever

But on the headers, currently there none in exsistance. if you search out in the performance section though, one company has 3500/3900 headers ready for production but need test cars first before going into production. So MAYBE before winter they maybe availble. Of corse no idea the gains will be. GM says the 3900 does have high flow exhaust manifolds and for a manifold they do flow very well. We will have to wait to see what the headers do

GM does offer the tech books for the G6. Only 1 person on here and forget who bought it. I think its 5 books and was 300-ish dollars. I dont know how indepth they go but for 300 and 5 books I would think its very detailed lol

2013 Mustang GT
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

might I mention nitrious? That would be the quickest way to gain a noticeable amount of HP. You have to remember, the LZ9 is the most powerful pushrod v6 GM has ever made. They did quite a bit of work to get 240X2 out of it. Considering they had to use boost to make roughly the same amount of power out of the 3800.

Comment

Only thing dont like about nitrous, you cant run a PCM tune. Unless you have a custom HP tunner setup to run duel tunning, stock spark/ retarted then the main PCM tune to run advanced timming and all the other goodies it involves

2013 Mustang GT
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

You can just turn the main spark advance down and give it room for nitrous. You don't need to fret over 4 degrees lost at NA to buffer the 100 shot you run on occasion We have fast burn heads so the spark timing shouldn't be too far advanced on a tuned setup anyway.
                  Ben

Comment

Okay, the tear down has begun. I'm providing a link to my photobucket. I'll try to keep it up-to-date as much as possible. I should have new pics up every Friday night. I'll try to post what I find interesting. If there'e something you guys want more indepth pics of, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/mrtohil/LZ9

Comment

Originally posted by mrtohil
                      Okay, the tear down has begun. I'm providing a link to my photobucket. I'll try to keep it up-to-date as much as possible. I should have new pics up every Friday night. I'll try to post what I find interesting. If there'e something you guys want more indepth pics of, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/mrtohil/LZ9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
                      oooOOOOooooOOOOO nice i will bookmark that

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                      Originally posted by ahuhn
                      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

wow, great pics! that looks like alot of work
                        18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

If you look it like that yeah, but I'm having fun and learning so it doesn't seem like it.

Comment

I have only seen one pic of the 3900 with no intake manifolds and onle pic before without the valve cover. But never this indepth!

I will admit, never thought you would pull engine out for a build. Everyone talks a good story but never does!

Sappy, good thought on the PCM idea. I never has been told that before, just the plain same answers no you cant run nitrous if you have a PCM tune as the advancements made. And that was always that. As I thought about running a 50 shot before but only a rare occation on th street but I perfured the full time tune instead. Maybe I can still do both

2013 Mustang GT
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Thanks. I do like taking alot of pics of something I don't have experience in. So these pics are helping me out as much as everyone else. Especially when I have to put humpty-dumpty back together again. I'll be taking close-up pics of the valvetrain & crank cause it looks pretty serious..granted I'm comparing this to the 3.1L I put together a few months back...but still. It does look pretty cool. I'll have to give GM their due on the design of this one. Some of my classmates so far are pretty impressed with how serious this thing looks.

Comment

didnt you post this project on 60degreev6?

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                                TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                                Show
                                -20% tint
                                -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                                -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Working...
                                X