Show clean engine in under 40 minutes - NEW ENGINE PICS pg 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show clean engine in under 40 minutes - NEW ENGINE PICS pg 2

Here's my step by step engine detail thread, as requested.
    There are many different ways to clean an engine. This is my favorite and the method I have found to be the easiest/quickest.

Also, I'm sorry about the pic quality, I was in a huge rush trying to do a 100% top to bottom detail in time for the block party.

Difficulty----I give this a beginner level. All you really need is basic engine knowledge. IE, don't spray into a carb or uncovered air filter, exposed wires, etc.
    Elapsed time----About 25 to 35 minutes, depending on how thorough you are.

Materials used----Black Magic 2-in-1 Engine shine, and Amorall Ultra shine

So of course we start out with a nasty engine.
    The unfortunate subject is my 08 G6. Ok, it can't be that nasty, it only has 14,000 miles. Bah, it needed to be cleaned for the cruise in, and this is it's first cleaning.

First off, your engine must be warm, preferably at normal operating temperature. Go take a nice drive, or clean when you get in from work, etc.
    Yes, I have noticed a lil difference in cleaning effiency when the engine is cool.

Now the fun part. Spray away, with the engine OFF.
    Like mentioned, if you have a carb engine, cover the carb with a plastic bag, and use rubber bands to hold it on, at the bottom. Works great. Wiring, I spray mine down, haven't had a problem. Use your own judgement on that one. It says not too, but on very modern cars, that would be near impossible to clean n not hit wires. I do avoid the ecu as much as possible tho.
    As you can see, I let my car have it, wires n all. Use on the bottom of the hood, fenders, everywhere underneath. This is safe to use on paint!

Now the not so fun part. Waiting.
    Let sit for about 15 minutes. O, you can use a rag or brush if you have tough stains.

Now, hose down.
    You want to use as little pressure as possible. I usually use medium pressure, otherwise it feels like I sit there all day rinising the stuff off. And it doesn't come off in 2 seconds. It does take a lil while to come off. Don't be worried if you do spend almost 5 minutes hosing. That's why I use a lil more pressure. The stuff rinses off white, and the water runs clear when it is all gone.

Now you'll want to start your car and run it for about 10 minutes. I ran mine for about 10 and also dried it with a microfiber towel. I was in a hurry.

Now this is the finished dry product, before amorall.
    Pretty darn clean, for spending 20 minutes.

But if you want that extra lil wow factor, bring out the ultra shine. Spray away. And I spray that stuff everywhere, and did use almost 1/2 of the bottle.
    Just sprayed. Note white puddles everywhere.

After letting it sit for about 2 minutes, I'll let the car run for a few to help it dry a lil bit.
    You might have to take a rag n touch up a couple of spots, runs, whatnot.
    And the finished product.

Dang engine is blacker than the car

And a couple clear, good shots of the truck. You can really see how clean it comes out. I was in a rush with the 6 today, and didn't get good clear pics.
    This also works well for those of us with painted engines, as can be seen. And it will not chip or harm your paint in any way.

232,000 mile engine after its second cleaning
    Exact same procedure and products as above.

And a couple of pics from when I did my Camaro for comparison.
    Sorry for the bad cell phone pics, but heres after just spraying the Iroc down.
    No followup with amorall.
    And I have no idea when/IF this engine had ever been cleaned.

And the pic the previous owner listed on the auction for the car.
    And they wonder why it didn't sell for much
    Seriously, they really posted this pic.
    Yep, same engine

Originally posted by acxdarlene
    no...all i did was help u guys w/ ur collection of blonds

Re: Show clean engine in under 40 minutes

Nice.
    Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Re: Show clean engine in under 40 minutes.......56 make a samich

thanks

Comment

nice work!

What is you opinion on leaving the alternator uncovered while washing you engine. Just curious.....

Comment

I haven't had a problem.
          I am by no means a pro, and I did state above to use your own judgement.

In my own experience, however, I haven't had a problem. On the 6 and the truck, I do not cover anything. I just spray away, while taking caution around the ecm, and alternator. On the truck, I remove the air filter. I never spray anything directly into or at the alternator. I did take in progress pics, and you can see that nothing was covered or removed on my 6.
          Now, on the camaro, the carb gets wrapped, but that's it.

Comment

Wow!! looks great I will definitely be doing that... any idea on how it works if Ive had rust proofing (oil spray stuff) done to the car?
            2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. If that is a permanent, or semi permanent application, i wouldn't think it would hurt.

Comment

the reason i asked is that the 3.5L engine cover is different then your 3.6L and it does not cover the alternator. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

you have to remember also that under the hood is technically exposed to the elements (water, snow, salt, etc.) so most of the wiring has weather resistant plugs. I said resistant because they're not water proof, if you hit em with higher pressure they'll leak and cause gremlins. So really hit em with a rain like pressure or if you're using higher pressure avoid the connectors and you should be fine.

my $0.02
                  sigpic

Comment

Good point, Jay. Hadn't even thought of adding that.
                    Thank you.

Comment

I thought that I've been told (or maybe read somewhere) that washing the engine should be done when still cool, not when the engine is hot. I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused. Can anyone clarify/ confirm this.

G
                      Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic; ASA JH9 19' on Michelin PS2 (225/40/19); Red Caliper Paint by Duplicolor; Partial debadge; Lumar Tint 30/20; Eibach Springs; Razzi Ground Effects; GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, VMS PCM Tune, MPD Hood
                      Upcoming Mods: Stage 4

Comment

Not hot .. warm ... and avoid spraying the block and heads with COLD water ... you don't want to flash cool it and cause a crack ... but I've never had a problem in my years of ownership (crosses fingers)
                        sigpic

Comment

shiny!

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Originally posted by g
                            I thought that I've been told (or maybe read somewhere) that washing the engine should be done when still cool, not when the engine is hot. I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused. Can anyone clarify/ confirm this.

G
                            It is in the instructions that it should be sprayed with the cleaner when the engine is warm. I'm going to take a logical guess that this is to help loosen dirt/oil/grease.
                            Now, by time you get done spraying it down, n waiting the alloted time, your engine will be much cooler than it was when you started. You won't be hosing it immediately, but roughly 20 minutes later. As well as, you're spraying the top of the engine, not the bottom. The engine cover prevents most water from coming into contact with the bottom.
                            Also, someone else brought this up elsewhere, which is a good point. Our cars see water year round, unless you never ever drive in rain. Not completely the same, but you still get water in the engine bay. And it can be freezing cold, depending on where you live.
                            EDIT----Jay added that a few posts up. It was added elsewhere that it can be freezing cold water.

And, trust me, G, if I had any doubt whatsoever, this product would not be used on my personal vehicles.
                            If a old truck with 240,000 miles can handle a lil cool water after 20 minutes of cooling down, and run just as beautiful still more than a year later, I think it is safe to use.

If you don't wish to use this method or have doubts, then don't use it. That's really all I can tell ya.

This is simply how my cars get prepped for shows and cruise ins. It is effective, I thought I'd share, and give ya'll a few tips.
                            I've learned a lot here, and I am simply trying to return the favor, by passing along some of my knowledge.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I wasn't trying to be doubtful. It makes sense that the engine would have warmed down and not be hot after waiting for the 20 minutes or so. Thanks for confirming.

G
                              Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic; ASA JH9 19' on Michelin PS2 (225/40/19); Red Caliper Paint by Duplicolor; Partial debadge; Lumar Tint 30/20; Eibach Springs; Razzi Ground Effects; GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, VMS PCM Tune, MPD Hood
                              Upcoming Mods: Stage 4

Comment

Working...
                              X