Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Install CAB for 3.6 engines (GTP and GXP's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Install CAB for 3.6 engines (GTP and GXP's)

Edit: Restored the old DR Speed Images with those from Mike's How to.

Ok all,

It seems the 3.6 is pretty different when it comes to how the factory intake is installed, and what it takes to install a CAB. I'm writing this How-To so that other's can have a less painfull install then I did. Thanks to The Doc for his how-to on installing a CAB. I'm borrowing it and inserting where nesserarry. Also thanks to blue2007GTP for his pic.

Tools needed
    ---------------------
    2 Small Flathead Screwdrivers
    5/32" Torx Screwdriver (Or Allen Wrench)
    Ratchet
    10mm Socket
    Socket Extension
    (1) 1 inch bolt with 10mm head and 6mm shaft (purchase from local hardware store)
    (1) 3/4 inch bolt with 10mm head and 6mm shaft (purchase from local hardware store)
    2 washers for said bolts

1. Open the hood and take a minute to review the instructions completely.

2. Start by removing the airbox. There will be 1 10mm bolt holding the factory box in. It is located in the upper right and corner of the airbox. SAVE THIS BOLT FOR LATER.

3. You may also want to loosen the bolt that mounts the intake tube to the front of the car, over near the throttle body. This lets you move the whole assembly around a little easier. Also a 10mm bolt.

4. At this point you may also wish to disconnect the MAF plug from the sensor, so you don't damage the wires with all the pulling you're about to do. To get it off, you need to remove the gray plastic piece first. It is clipped on so you may need a small flathead screwdriver to pop it off. Then just squeeze the black tab it was over, and pull to disconnect the plug from the MAF.

5. Now you should be able to pull out the airbox. You may catch a few parts on the car while pulling it out, so you'll need to tilt the box around until you can pull it out as shown below. Now you can remove the torx screws on the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor), circled in the pic. The size of the screws is 5/32".

6. Now remove the airbox from the MAF. Also remove the yellow gasket on the MAF. You won't be needing this for the intake. (Mine was black instead of yellow.)

7. Once you remove the airbox, you will see the metal piece highlighted in blue below held down by the plastic clip circled in red. Simply pop the plastic clip and push the metal piece up as shown.

8. Set the CAB. The brackets will line up with 2 of the holes meant for the other engines. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART: The ac hose goes on the ENGINE side of the CAB. The rubber part should rest against the side of the CAB as shown in the two pic's below. DO NOT bend the CAB to make it fit.

9. Attach CAB to the existing holes meant for the other engines. Use the long bolt for the lower hole shown below and the shorter bolt for the hole at the top left.

10. Assemble the filter, metal pipe, and silicone sleave as seen below. I had a hell of a time getting the silicone on the metal pipe, so I ended up getting it started, braced myself against the car, put a towel on my thigh and just shoved the shit out of it until it went on.

11. Remember that bolt you removed in step 2?? You want to use it to re-secure the metal bracket that was attached to the airbox. When you tighten it down, it will tighten at an angle, since you no longer have the flange on the airbox to support it.

12. Tighten down your clamps, reconnect the plug to the MAF, and replace the 10mm bolt on the intake tubing near the throttle body.
    Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.
    Originally posted by schenko
    If I could have a woody, I would.

Re: How To: Install CAB for 3.6 engines (GTP and GXP's)

thanks for the information,just waiting for my k and n filter on order to install with my crab. opcorn:

Comment

That A/C line can be tricky... Great write up!!!
      THANKS!!!

Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
      Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
      WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

You could put more emphasis on the pushing involved to get the silicone on the metal pipe. I think I dropped a third testicle!

Comment

Soapy water on the pipe and it will slide right in easy cheesy and dry in place. Like vinyl stickers!

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!
          Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
          Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
          WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Tmack857
            You could put more emphasis on the pushing involved to get the silicone on the metal pipe. I think I dropped a third testicle!
            Took me and my brother an hour with 3 screwdrivers to get the coupler on the MAF. Managed to stab the both of us in the process. I always say if you didn't bleed you didn't do it right.

Originally posted by Lampoon
            Soapy water on the pipe and it will slide right in easy cheesy and dry in place. Like vinyl stickers!

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!
            Wish I thought of that.
            Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
            - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
            - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

Working...
            X