This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Saving Tips...

Heard on the news today that $4 gas is no longer a threat...now they're predicting $5 gas by Labor Day. With that, I happened to stumble upon this article on Yahoo about how to reduce fuel costs. Lots of it may seem obvious, but maybe there's something in here someone didn't think about and can try.

Originally posted by Yahoo! Autos
    Tips for Saving Fuel
    By Joe Wiesenfelder

If you're not ready to buy a more fuel-efficient car, you can still save money in a number of ways in whatever vehicle you drive. Cars.com provides the tips and dispels the myths.

Revive the Classics
    The biggest fuel savings comes not from hybrid technology but from the old standards: car pooling and public transportation. If you and just one friend or neighbor trade off commuting to and from work, you cut your fuel usage by about 50 percent. No other step will save you as much money. Also, if you have two vehicles in the family motor pool, leave the thirstier one in the garage as often as possible.

Public transportation saves fuel, and possibly money. It also decreases congestion, which saves everyone fuel. Help yourself and everyone else; be part of the solution.

Get the Lead Out
    Weight is fuel economy's natural enemy, so removing unnecessary items — or people — from your car can translate to real fuel savings.

Get the Leadfoot Out
    You can save fuel immediately in whatever you drive by going easy on the accelerator. Jack rabbit starts and full-throttle acceleration boost fuel consumption dramatically. It's all a matter of degree: Light acceleration saves more than moderate acceleration.

Top speed also plays a part. Most vehicles are most efficient when cruising in their top gear at a relatively low speed. For example, a car with a five-speed transmission would be most efficient in 5th gear at 40 to 55 mph. Wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, so as your pace increases from this point, fuel economy drops dramatically. Onboard trip computers that show instantaneous and average fuel economy are remarkably accurate. Keep an eye on this and you'll learn how to drive in a miserly fashion.

An Ounce of Prevention
    Keeping your tires inflated properly and your engine running right is critical to efficient motoring. Underinflated tires can lower your fuel economy by full miles per gallon. (Get the proper inflation pressure from the sticker on your car's doorjamb or the owner's manual, and not the tire's sidewall.) Even if your car seems to be running well, that perplexing Check Engine light could represent a dead oxygen sensor or some other emissions control problem that causes the vehicle to waste several miles per gallon.

Open Windows or Air Conditioning?
    This is an age-old conundrum. (Unlike a car's heater, which uses free engine heat to warm the cabin, the air conditioner robs engine power and lowers fuel economy.) So which approach is better? Sorry, but it's not as simple as one or the other.

If your car has been sitting in the sun and is hotter than the outside air, drive for a few minutes with the windows open to cool it off. Then, if you're hitting the highway, close 'em up and turn on the A/C. Aerodynamics are more important at high speeds, so if you're not exceeding 35 or 40 mph, open windows won't make as much difference. It also depends on the vehicle. The detriment from driving with the windows down is greater, say, in a Chevy Corvette, which has excellent aerodynamics, than in a Hummer, which has ... none. The same applies to convertibles; you'll burn less fuel with the top up.

Keep It Sleek
    Speaking of aerodynamics, roof-top carriers and bike and ski racks don't do you any favors — even when they're empty. If you keep all your cargo inside the car, you'll slip through the wind better. Also, strip off any aftermarket add-ons such as bug deflectors and window and sunroof wind deflectors. By design, these items work by wrecking your aerodynamics. Sure, bug entrails on your windshield are gross, but they aren't known to cost you any fuel.

Premium or Regular?
    Lower octane costs less, but should you use it? Most modern cars that call for premium fuel can run on regular gasoline without knocking or any long-term penalty. Technically, this makes the car less efficient, but not to a degree that negates the cost savings from the cheaper fuel grade. NOTE: This is true of cars for which premium is recommended, not required. If in doubt, look for terms such as "for best performance" and "recommended" as opposed to "only" or "required." If your car has a turbocharger or supercharger, you probably should stick with premium fuel. Of course, if your car calls for regular gasoline, there's no reason to run it on anything higher in octane.

Source: Click for content
    Shortened link.
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Re: Fuel Saving Tips...

thanks for the tips!
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Thanks man -

I'm going to try not going 90 to work every morning and back, I'll try leaving earlier and staying about 60. No wonder my highway economy isn't much better than city.

Don't know if I can do easy accelerations though, it goes against my religion.
      ? CRAB CAB Intake (Lampoon)
      ? GT-R Exhaust (GT-R)
      ? Kustom Dekalz Overlays (Schenko)
      ? Twin 12" JL W6-V2 subs ?
      ? Dynoed @ 207.4 WHP & 215.1 Ft-Lb

Comment

I hear ya bud. It's so hard for me to break my addiction to full-throttle starts from lights and whatnot. But I'm tryin.

I actually thought about the adaptive learning feature of my 6, and how it probably is "trained" for my harder-than-usual driving characteristics. I borrowed my dad's 6 a few weekends ago because I needed to haul 4 other people around (only time the coupe is FTL . First thing my dad asked my after his first day driving my car -- have you done anything to the engine in your car? I'm like no. Him: "is your engine bigger?" Me: "no, why?" Him: "Cause your car feels more powerful and more responsive than mine." I went into a brief description of the adaptive learning thing and whatnot. In any case, i've been thinking lately, I'm trying harder to be gentle on the throttle, using cruise religiously on the highway and keeping it at or just below 65. Many of you will laugh, but fuel prices are killing me. I don't make enough to support myself as it is -- I am fortunate enough to live at home rent-free (monetarily at least. I pay my rent by providing "tech support" for computers, tv's, stereos, etc. and through completion of other household chores). But it cost me $40 to fill my tank yesterday, and I was still just above the ¼-tank mark. So if I had let it run till the idiot light kicks in, like I normally do, I would've easily passed $50 to $60.

In any case, I'm thinking of yanking the negative battery cable for 20-30 minutes to force the ECM to reset itself to default, and maybe I can "retrain" it to be more conservative in it's response and maybe even perhaps use even a tiny bit less. After all, I am doing everything I can think of to try and stretch my dollars.

Just a random thought I had in the shower this morning...
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Come to Canada.

From empty at current prices it would cost me about $85 to fill my tank. $80 with 87 octane.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Those are good tips. I decided that I wont rev as much

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
            Originally posted by [i
            Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

No doughnuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

I already practice most of these.... too bad there wasn't away to get rid of the traffic and traffic lights... that's what gets me the lower MPG.

Comment

I have made this into a sticky, congrads

Good post
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I'm thinking of power adders. Oh, and buying another car that gets better mileage.
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                      I'm thinking of power adders. Oh, and buying another car that gets better mileage.
                      Does the G8 count as a car that gets better mileage?

Comment

It's not really that bad, when I'm not getting on it too much. Trouble is, I'm always getting on it.
                        Interstate mileage is around 21 to 22. In town it's not worth it to check.
                        I'm looking at getting an S-10 or something.
                        The G8 has a 19 gallon tank. My fill ups have been over 45 dollars.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                          I'm looking at getting an S-10 or something.
                          The G8 has a 19 gallon tank. My fill ups have been over 45 dollars.
                          S-10 dosent get that good either. My friends 4.3L gets 17-18 mpg and pretty much stock.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I should probably stop racing from lights, if it will save me some fuel lol

Costs me around $60 to fill my tank with regular in Toronto.
                            <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

So i already get awesome MPG with the 4Banger but can I use 85octane not 87octane, I know the engine has anti-ping technology but will this hurt me in the long run because with a 16.6gal tank I can afford the $1.6 every 2 weeks so like 36 bucks a year...not expensive
                              Granite 2007 G6 Sedan
                              -15% tint -Lower Grill Chrome -Aftermarket Rims -Partial Debadge -Duplicolor Red Calipers
                              Kawasaki ZX-11 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                              X