No announcement yet.

Convertible G6 V6 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an 07 white convertible g6 gt.. first one in california =)

got it for the 06 price
    2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

I'd be interested in checking out an '07 and looking to see if GM has made any changes from the '06. After having my '06 GT convertible for about a month now, and having come from a 2-seat roadster, I can name quite a few improvements I'd like to see made.

- locking glove box, center console, trunk release and gas door.
      - better build quality on the finishing touches of the roof (folding tonneu, exposed mechanisms and attachment of roof liner).
      - Chassis stiffening. It could use some more as my car exhibits some cowl shake with the top down. Even with the top up there is still enough chassis flex to cause the plastic interior panels to squeak as they flex.

With all that said, I do want to be clear that I absolutely love my G6. The powertrain (3.5l V6 w/4spd auto) is quite powerfull and smooth and the exhaust has a nice growl to it with the top down. The styling of the car gets almost as many looks as my roadster did and the audio system is top-notch. My girlfriend LOVES the heated seats!

I'm very happy with my purchase but I think GM could make some minor improvements, especially for a car of this price.
      2006 G6 GT Convertible

Comment

I just picked up an 07 Vert. I'll take some photos of the exhaust and post them here later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Jeff
        My 07 G6 Convertible
        http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
        http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

Nice to see they added the dual exhaust to the GTs for '07. Wish my '06 had it. With that one exception, our cars look identical.

What engine do you have? 3.5l?
          2006 G6 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Signal
            Nice to see they added the dual exhaust to the GTs for '07. Wish my '06 had it. With that one exception, our cars look identical.

What engine do you have? 3.5l?
            No, I have the 3.9. They dropped the GTP in the Verts for 07. The 3.9L is part of the "sport" package for 07. Similar to GTP without the badging.

Jeff
            My 07 G6 Convertible

My 76 Vette

Comment

Ah, nice! You probably got all that for the same price I paid.
              2006 G6 GT Convertible

Comment

Ah, nice! You probably got all that for the same price I paid.
                Not sure if we're allowd to talk price here or not. I got the 07 for $30,200 and some change (07 Vert, PDX Sport Package, Premium package (leather, Monsoon 6 disc, power driver seat, heated front seats, etc.), and side curtain air bags).

I'm sure I paid too much, but I really like the car. The sticker was $32,100 or something around there so I got it for about 2K off sticker. Again, I'm sure if I played the game longer and harder, I could have brought the price down a little, but I really like driving this car!!!

Jeff
                My 07 G6 Convertible

My 76 Vette

Comment

^This is what pisses me off about GM Canada. AFTER taking into account the exchange rate, Americans are paying the same for a G6 Convertible that I paid for my GTP coupe!

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnles1
                    Not sure if we're allowd to talk price here or not. I got the 07 for $30,200 and some change (07 Vert, PDX Sport Package, Premium package (leather, Monsoon 6 disc, power driver seat, heated front seats, etc.), and side curtain air bags).

I'm sure I paid too much, but I really like the car. The sticker was $32,100 or something around there so I got it for about 2K off sticker. Again, I'm sure if I played the game longer and harder, I could have brought the price down a little, but I really like driving this car!!!

Jeff
                    My '06 GT Vert was $27,865 base.

It has the Premium Value Package (heated leather seats, 6-way power driver seat, steering wheel radio and cruise control, leather wrapped shift knob, 6-disc CD changer, and the 18" ultra-bright wheels) as well as the front side impact air bags (seat mounted) power adjustable brake and accelerator pedals and the 3.29 axle ratio. Finally, it has the remote start system.

These options bring the sticker to $31,315.00. Minus $1000 GM factory incentive brought it to $30,315.

So my car was actually $115 more!

I got the dealer to remove their destination charge of $625 but that's as far as they would budge. I was also approved for 0.0% GMAC financing for 36 months so I took it.

At first I didn't feel as though I got that bad of a deal. This is the first time I've ever paid close to sticker for a car, so I knew I wasn't getting a great deal, but I really felt the vehicle was worth it. Now that I'm learning that many people are picking up the '07 with the PDX Sport Package (GTP) for about the same, I'm feeling a bit peeved. But then I consider that the sport package is sacrificing gas mileage for only 10 more ponies and I don't feel so bad.
                    2006 G6 GT Convertible

Comment

Now that I'm learning that many people are picking up the '07 with the PDX Sport Package (GTP) for about the same, I'm feeling a bit peeved. But then I consider that the sport package is sacrificing gas mileage for only 10 more ponies and I don't feel so bad.

Don't feel bad. If there were any 07's that didn't have the PDX package around here, I would have picked up one of them. There is not enough HP difference between the 3.5 and 3.9 to warrant the extra cost, but hey, it does give some bragging rights on the forums

I got this from a small dealer who is situated right across the street from a mega Mazda/Toyota/Hundai dealership and a Chrysler, Dodge, and Ford dealership within line of sight from their showroom. The competition is fierce and I made no bones about the fact that I was also looking at the Solara Vert and the Sebring Vert, and the MX-5 Miata. There are also 3 other Pontiac dealerships within 15 miles.

Sometimes the amount of competition and location has more to do with price than negotiation skills or anything else. I was happy with the dealer.

Jeff
                      My 07 G6 Convertible

My 76 Vette

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                        ^This is what pisses me off about GM Canada. AFTER taking into account the exchange rate, Americans are paying the same for a G6 Convertible that I paid for my GTP coupe!
                        Canadian are generally somewhat ripped-off when it comes to new car purchases. With your flavorable exchange rate, the prices in Canada should be lower than what it is now.

Comment

I was also looking at the Solara Vert and the Sebring Vert, and the MX-5 Miata
                          Between the G6, Solara, and Sebring convertibles, I must say the G6 is by far the best looking one hands down.

The MX-5 Miata no doubt is a fantasic little sports car. But I would take the Pontiac Solstice or the Saturn Sky over the Miata anyday. Not because they are better cars (ie. GM's questionable quality and reliability), but because these two cars have souls and are downright sexy. The Miata probably is still the king in the fun-to-drive category, but after a decade it is beginning to look a little boring. Furthermore, the Solstice/Sky will turn more heads when I cruise down the street.

Comment

"Yes the exhaust is a different layout to cut down on noise and whatnot when the top is down. "
                            After spending some time crawling around under my 07 Vert, I don't think the pathway for the exhaust is different. From what I can see, there's only one way for it to go and that is pretty much stamped into the tunnel on the floorpan of the car.

What I see as a difference is how the exhuast is treated where it goes between the extra X-bracing and the floorpan.

They are using rubber hangers which give the exhaust some room to move around a bit. Every place where the exhaust goes by a X brace, the exhaust is flattened on the bottom side. I guess it's flattened so that it won't bounce against the X=brace and cause a noise.

That flattening over 4 or 5 places in the exhaust path has got to restrict the exhaust flow as it's flattened enough to be visibaly noticable.

I can easily lay my hand flat between the X-braces and the exhaust (wait for it to cool down before you boys and girls try this at home ). I believe there is room to put a more full-sized exhaust in there without klunking sounds every time you hit a bump.

Given the stock exhaust is something like 2", I don't think a 2.5" is going to work, but I bet a 2" pipe would work OK and you'd only hear the Klunk under extreme circumstances. I suppose a custom shop could also play around with the placement of the hangers or the length of the rods to split the difference and allow a straight 2" pipe there.

I doubt if it would give the performance boost of 2.5" pipe, but it would have to be better than stock. Couple that with a more free flowing muffler and it may boost HP and torque up to a little better than the 240 we see in the coupe.

I don't know if there are enough Verts out there that people want to mod to make it worthwhile for someone like GT-R to create a package for us.

I seriously doubt if interior noise from the exhaust note was the issue, I think it was interior noise from the exhause bouncing off the X brace and creating warranty claims for "klunking sounds from under the car" that GM was worried about. They wanted to make absolutely sure there was no way that the exhaust could bounce off the X brace.

Thogths?

Jeff
                            My 07 G6 Convertible

My 76 Vette

Comment

Yessir, you are correct. From what I researched the reason for the HP drop is because the exhaust is more restricted due to the extra bracing for the convertible. They flattened out the pipes to get around the braces and that's about it.
                              Silver '06 G6 GTP Verty

Comment

Working...
                              X