How To: Replace Your Rear Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Replace Your Rear Speakers

Alright its been a while since I've done it and it was confusing as hell but this should help at least get you going in the right direction.

1: Seats have to fold forward.

2. Bolts on the brackets that are holding the seats have to be pulled out.

3. Seat belts need to come out of the little plastic clippys (just turn them vertical and pullem out.

4. This is where most people get stuck. There is a screw in either panel on both sides of the rear windshield. They are hidden under that little square cap. Pull those screws and remove those panels.

5. Plastic Griptights (those little plastic things that stick in the holes? what the hell those things are called I dont know). There are four or five on the thin carpet layer holding on to the front end of the truck up where the seats were sitting that need to be pried loose. last but not least you need to pull the entire back window board up and out. Yes its all one piece.

6. Most replacment speakers will fit in the brackets as long as you get the right size you won't have to drill anything. The backs are 6x9s.

7. I recommend leaving the stock grilles on because they are a pain in the ass to take off. If I remember correctly its like 12 alan head screws.

Really hope this helps let me know if you need more specifics.
    2006 Pontiac G6 2.4L Ecotech Mods to Come Soon!

Have any pic of a step by step???
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

yea it's kinda hard to follow by just reading it.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Pics would help alot, but this will for sure help a bit for those looking to do it.

Comment

Yeah...

Yeah I'll try to see if I can get some pics up for it. I thought it would be kinda hard to follow with text alone. I just don't have a digital camera as sad as that is for a computer tech. Maybe I should look at getting one...
          2006 Pontiac G6 2.4L Ecotech Mods to Come Soon!

Comment

I'm guessing this how-to only applies to the sedan correct? I attempted removing mine today, and only came across two of those "grip-tight" screws that popped out. But then I got stuck. I couldn't lift the deck up and over those two metal pieces that stick up through the deck right below the speaker grills.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i just changed mine today with the crutchfield mastersheets. if i get a chance later ill scan em up here for everyone. really easy job. the factory grills came out with just a little prying from the screwdriver.

Comment

Re: How To: Replace Your Rear Speakers

Hey thanks alot for this how-to. I mucked my way thru doing this last night as one of my 6x9's blew.

I'd like to ask do any of you know how to remove the sides of the seat that attached to the part that goes across and bolds to the rest of the car where the seats attach to when folded up?

Removing this piece would have made the entire job easier.

Thanks again!! Now i just need to wait for a store to open so i can pickup some adapters to use stock harness then i can hear my handywork!

Comment

I missed the days when speakers were attached to the rear shelf using only 4 screws and can be replaced in less than 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom
                    I missed the days when speakers were attached to the rear shelf using only 4 screws and can be replaced in less than 5 minutes.
                    Well that sure would be nice. I really wanna replace my blown rear speakers but it seems like such a pain in the rear. However I gotta start by buying some first .......I missed the days when money grew on trees....o wait thats never happened

Comment

this sunday i am letting a friend that use to do this stuff up at best buy do a sound system and i will see how the coupe is put together thats not if someone beats me to it.
                      2006 Black GTP Coupe, One of the First Hammerhead Spoilers on here. Gm Strut Bar, Doctor Speed CAB and Stage 4 . Black out upper grille and black logos, Tinted Black Euro's, Painted black Headlights with blacked out corners and Led's,10,000 K HID Low-Beams, GT-R Cat-Back Exhaust System,Racingline performance moto mounts inserts, power slot rotors and hawks.Eclipse 4 channel amp powering Alpine Type-S speakers, 93 oct tune, GM HSRK, RaceineLinePerformance Ground Kit.

Comment

well coupes are a pain in the ass to do. you have to take out the whole back seat to get to the deck lid. have to unbolt the seat belt from the floor and crap. then after that it all comes out. but the deck is a pain in the ass to get back in with the baby seat clips in the deck have to watch thoses.
                        2006 Black GTP Coupe, One of the First Hammerhead Spoilers on here. Gm Strut Bar, Doctor Speed CAB and Stage 4 . Black out upper grille and black logos, Tinted Black Euro's, Painted black Headlights with blacked out corners and Led's,10,000 K HID Low-Beams, GT-R Cat-Back Exhaust System,Racingline performance moto mounts inserts, power slot rotors and hawks.Eclipse 4 channel amp powering Alpine Type-S speakers, 93 oct tune, GM HSRK, RaceineLinePerformance Ground Kit.

Comment

I'm new to the G6, (as of last saturday, traded in my 01 GA SE on an 07 G6 GT..... QUITE the difference, but i love it). This was the first thing i wanted to do, change the speakers. I read that, and was confused somewhat, so i said what the hell and tried it out. Took pics to back up what arsmitty said....

Step 1. Obvious... dont need pics, just fold your seats down.
                          Step 2. these four bolts \/

Step 3. Seatbelts \/

Step 4. The screws for the side pillars \/

Step 5. I only had two friction clips holding in the carpet piece, the main thing keeping the rear deck on was the side pillars. Side pillars use 1 screw, 2 friction clips attached to the car, and a third attached to the plastic part going down the side of the seat.

to get the seat locks out and easier to move, take out 4 more bolts on the bottom..

If you took it all out, you should have a screw inventory of

plus the 2 from the side pillars that i left in the pillars and shut the little hatch thing

As far as replacing the speakers, however, i got them out, and only then realized that there are 4 damn wires instead of two for each speaker. And no one on earth makes a harness for it. so... A) snip the wires and only plug in two (lossing either highs, or lows) or B) putting the stock speakers back in until a new headunit is purchased. So thats what i did.... stupid monsoon.... plus side, it sounds decent for being stock.

Hope this helps!
                          r/t .539, 60' 2.328, 330' 6.529, 1/8mi 10.002, 71.16 mph (completely stock)

My Baby in her darkest hour
                          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...l=1#post389966

Comment

Nice write-up. Can't help but notices some of the metal bars and screws are rusted already.

Comment

god im not looking forward to putting my polks in

Comment

Working...
                              X