• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A harmonic balancer.
    Not a G6 owner... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by silverghost
      A harmonic balancer.
      They are called Harmonic Dampners. NOT Balancer's. The Dampner does NOT balance an engine. It removes inherent natural vibrations from the rotating assembly.

The engine is internally balanced. Old first gen 60v6's (Iron headed 2.8L's up to about 86) were Externally balanced on the flywheel/flexplate.

Harmonic Dampners use a rubber slip ring and dual steel sleaves to remove the normal internal combustion engine harmonics.

Think of it this way, when you strike a tuning fork on an object such as a table you produce vibrations and sound frequency from the tuning fork. You can visibly see this and hear the sound it produces. When the engine is running the force of Combustion acts like a sledge hammer on the top of the piston forcing it down. Harmonic Vibrations much like a tuning fork happen here, The force is transmitted through the rods to the crank which under load does flex and twist thousanths of an inch during opperating conditions. The harmonic dampner's job is to isolate and remove the natural frequency/vibrations from the crank.

Thus why its a stupid idea to run underdrive pullies that do not include or have a harmonic dampner built into them. People love to dissagree on this one but ask any engineer and you will recieve the same answer.
      Colin.
      06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
      92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
      90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

Comment

And those vibrations can cause a lot of damage if they're not kept under control by the dampner, I have one dumb friend who never put his dampner on right or all the way and it just tore the engine to hell.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Opps. Thats what I meant. Wrong word used.
          Not a G6 owner... yet.

Comment

here's the article from last months Road and Track on the GTP coupe. Tech specs and performance results for those interested. I don't know why there haven't been many articles in car mags on the coupe.

here's another from car and driver...figures no love for the G6
            -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
            Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

actual rocker ratio is 1.7:1.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
                actual rocker ratio is 1.7:1.
                Wow that is pretty big for stock I think. You use to have to buy 1.7-1.8 rockers if you wanted that much lift
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Does anyone know the crankshaft-flange-to-trans-mating-surface-distance for the 3900?
                  '89 Buick Reatta "Project GS": 3800 Series II S/C and F40 6MT in progress

Comment

3900 Specs LZ9

YANMAR 2200
                    We are doing some motor work on a Yanmar 2200 and can anyone tell me what the specs need to be for the big end of the connecting rod bore housing??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    http://fordfusioninfo.com

Comment

Re: 3900 Specs LZ9

Originally posted by Alexander_Rychok87 View Post
                      YANMAR 2200
                      We are doing some motor work on a Yanmar 2200 and can anyone tell me what the specs need to be for the big end of the connecting rod bore housing??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                      Is that a tractor? What makes you think anyone here knows anything about tractors?

Comment

3900 Specs LZ9

YANMAR 2200
                        http://fordfusioninfo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X