This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Strut Brace and the Hood: Rubbing Issues

Anyone know if there is an adjustment to raise the hinge side of the hood? I put on the strut brace my last shift and opened my hood this shift and found a couple spots that were rubbing. The spots are identical on each side.

My only other option I can think of is taking a hammer to that portion of the hood and flattening it out a little bit. I think it's also important to note that I have the redline hood lifts on my car and I'm not sure if installing them affected the fit of the strut bar.
    2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

i dont think the hood lifts would affect it...it's prob just bc the brace isnt made for this car
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

if it wasnt painted red, you probably never would have known!!
      Originally posted by Toyz
      Originally posted by simplyred
      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Looks like the hood paint is rubbing to the metal though.
        2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Hmmm both look like they are transfering... you would only need like a tenth of an inch adjustment too!

Comment

Hmm I wonder if the others on the board have rubbing with theirs.

Comment

If im not mistaken I think KMAN might be the only other person with it at the moment, not sure tho! But now there will be backlash and million question thread about it hahahaha

Comment

Oh yeah thats true, fireguy was the other person I was thinking of. And here he is

Still would be interesting to see is Kman has his rubbin. Does he have the lifts? That would eliminate that.

Comment

lifts dont affect how far down the hood closes

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                  Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                    Oh yeah thats true, fireguy was the other person I was thinking of. And here he is

Still would be interesting to see is Kman has his rubbin. Does he have the lifts? That would eliminate that.
                    Yes, I noticed that. What I did was cut some electrical tape into small strips to fit over the area that rubs. I made it a layer of about 4 strips.
                    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                    Forge Motorsports BPV
                    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Well you don't know that. All it takes is a very small amount that you wouldn't even notice. Thats why I said it would just eliminate the possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                        Well you don't know that. All it takes is a very small amount that you wouldn't even notice. Thats why I said it would just eliminate the possibility.
                        are you talking about the hood lifts, cuz fireguy has them, but i'm just saying that if the hood is closed, it's closed the same mount with or without the lifts...the brace prob only hits when hitting bumps in the road..it doesnt look like it rubs much, so some may have rubbing issues and some may not

Comment

why would it hit the hood when you hit bumps.. the brace shouldnt move at all from where its mounted??

Comment

All I was saying was it's worth a shot. I don't know I don't have them on my car but just trying to throw ideas out there to help him out.

The lifts are still a modification.

Comment

so you're saying the struts dont move at all....then why get a brace if it's rigid

Comment

Working...
                              X