Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I guess I will have to get mine massaged by the metal guy I know so it won't rub!

Can we get a really good picture of the enter bar and hood so I can see the rub points?

Thanks,

John
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

The strut towers are nothing more than stamped steel. Infact, don't go looking for a real frame in this car, cause it's not there. This is a unibody contruction. The flexing comes under hard turns, and it's not something you'll see happening. The brace re-enforces the area between the strut towers. You can also make and install a brace underneath the car, if you know what your doing.

As for the hood clearing the brace, I would not beat on the underside of your hood. These hoods are not that strong. If you have to, file some metal off the area where the brace is making contact with the hood. Also know that the hood will move a bit while driving.

Comment

Thanks GT. I might get the file out next shift if this fix doesn't work. I just don't want to re-paint it. Here's what I did. Went to autozone and got some self adheasive door trim guard. Pried it apart and put it on. If it doesn't stay I also bought 3M tape to make it stick.

If you look at the second hole in from each side you can see where it rubbed.
        2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

This is my fix.

I cut 2 pieces of heavy-grade vinyl and attached them to the contact points with RTV silicone.

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
          Forge Motorsports BPV
          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
          HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

cool this is nice to know. I'll be getting my strut bar on monday. I'll just put something on the hood, vinyl or some type of padding. My car is black so nobody'll ever see it
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Kman.. that was a nice touch... looks like it was supposed to be that way!!
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

werd, Keith to the rescue!
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Thanks, Bro. I was going for the 'From The Factory' look.
                  Forge Motorsports BPV
                  CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                  HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

The only way to get extra clearance would be to put a very thin washers between the hood and the hood hinges One per bolt.... Hack I know, And would lead to a bit of a missalignment at the rear of the hood in terms of the hood being lifted up a few millimeters but without having to "massage" the hood for clearance thats the only way your going to get any clearance between the two.
                    Colin.
                    06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
                    92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
                    90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

Comment

If I can show my cousin exactly where the contact is he can work the stb to comply, but I am not 100 percent sure with your photos where that is happening...

John

Comment

I will try to doctor that photo a little to help you out if i get time today. I see about getting distance from the end.
                        2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Originally posted by fireguy82
                          I will try to doctor that photo a little to help you out if i get time today. I see about getting distance from the end.
                          I think it is pretty clear where the contact points are.
                          Forge Motorsports BPV
                          CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                          HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

I took a pic but the cable to connect my pc to the camera is at another station. I can't give you exact dimentions but if you tape from where the bar goes into the mount, the rubbing starts from about the 5 to 5 1/2 mark and goes to about the 8 1/2 to 9 inch mark. That was eye balling the marks on the hood. My marks on the bar are covered up by the molding I put on it. Truefully I don't want to take that off until I have the right stuff to put on it.

Comment

Thanks, now that is the info I am looking for. I want to keep the modification of the bar to a minimum!

I appreciate the pictures and measurements.

John

Comment

Does anyone remember the strut bar that someone released for the Grand Am that was denting people's hoods?

This is now a concern for me with this strut bar!

sigpic
                                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Working...
                                X