X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Clunking in steering

Hey Folks!

Just bought a beautiful Red 2007 GT Hard top Auto Convertible with black cloth interior from CARMAX with only 11,000 miles on it!

Car looks brand new except I do have the clunking issue.

CARMAX said they will repair it but I wonder if they know how?

I'm going to contact them tomorrow and tell them to replace the intermediate shaft and I guess I'll just keep it lubed myself after that.

Only other issue they said they will fix is the steering wheel computer controls don't work to tell the average MPG and stuff.

Other than that the car runs fine, nice power.

Always been a Pontiac fan with a few TA's and Formulas in the past!

Comment

Congrats on the new ride! I would assume they have repair techs just like anywhere else. But as for the clunking that I know of people get these repaired and still end up getting it back down the line. Also not 100% sure on this but I read somewhere that there's two different ishafts one that can be lubed and one you shouldn't lube. Don't quote me on that haha. But from what I red if you got one that's solid black it shouldn't be lubed. Little wd40 does wonders for this for me usually give it a little spay every oil change haven't had the clunk sence.

Comment

Ok now I have a question.

My wheel has more of a 'click" in either direction I turn it....not really a "CLUNK"........does it start out as a "click" and get worse??

Comment

Well CARMAX fixed the click/popping sound of my steering wheel.

They said the boot on the shaft wasn't installed correctly and that's what was causing the noise when turning the wheel.

Anyway, the noise is gone!

Comment

Which boot by chance? On the intermediate shaft?
            Glad they took care if it!

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinG6 View Post
              Which boot by chance? On the intermediate shaft?
              Glad they took care if it!
              I believe so.

Their work history on the car shows they replaced 2 different shafts. doesn't say why?

Comment

Working...
              X