X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clunking in steering

That sounds familiar so watch out.
    Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
    Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
    Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

@%$&#....damnz , k thanx, i'll see. How bad does it usually get before i should carry it to the dealer to 'grease' or replace shit...?

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
      PSN: racin247
      Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

I suggest you take it in and have the 'ship check it out. If you share the info form this thread they may be able to put you right. I kept putting my visit off and now the problem is definite. I'm going in this week.

Comment

ahhh, ok kool. mite do it later this week then....hope u get thru with urs

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Comment

Originally posted by silverg6er
            hmmm, im not gettin the clunk noise, but at low speeds, i get a slight squeaking noise when turning....is this what happens before u start gettin clunks?
            YES!!

Mine started as just that and became worse.
            I have 32k miles on my 06 GTP coupe and had had the steering rack replaced twice.
            I was in last week for number three but, they did the "grease and release" which usually lasts only 3 months
            before replacing the rack.

GM will warranty the rack for one year. For me it doesn't last a full year so it will keep getting replaced for free

Chris in Ottawa
            Black GTP, 6-speed
            Ottawa, Ontario
            Go Sens!!!

Comment

I can't get mine in this week so hopefully they can take me next week. What am I saying? Those guys take us all the time!

Comment

damnz....well im still on factory warranty, and mine is an 07 with 31K on it...so i'll see sumtime next week to get into the dealership...

Comment

Mine was greased a couple of months ago. Now I have the pre clunk squeak. Why can't GM see that an annoying problem like this will turn people against them. I still like my G6, but as soon as I'm not upside down on it I will be getting something else. Something non-GM.

Comment

Originally posted by lewis
                    Mine was greased a couple of months ago. Now I have the pre clunk squeak. Why can't GM see that an annoying problem like this will turn people against them. I still like my G6, but as soon as I'm not upside down on it I will be getting something else. Something non-GM.
                    sadly i agree with u man...

i love the g6
                    but maybe if they could not hav these problems with them, i'd go back to them. i guess next time, i'll wait a while to see if there are any issues with newer products. but when im done with the 6, im goin with something jap or euro tilll then (even though my ford freestyle is Ford!, and it one ear older than the 6, with 10k more miles in it, it has no issues...but thats for the parents to drive, so it duznt move much from the garage and in my belief, ford is always a few steps behind the latest and greatest )

Comment

I am a cop and we have Impalas at work. They all seem to develop this same problem. The Chevy dealer told me it is the same with every single GM product. The intermediate steering shafts are crap and they won't redesign them. The new, painted shafts do not fix the problem. Grease is just a temporary solution. They wonder why most people are against them getting a bail out. Something like this should have been fixed years ago. It just shows a total lack of commitment to quality at GM.

Comment

I am a cop and we have Impalas at work. They all seem to develop this same problem. The Chevy dealer told me it is the same with every single GM product. The intermediate steering shafts are crap and they won't redesign them. The new, painted shafts do not fix the problem. Grease is just a temporary solution. They wonder why most people are against them getting a bail out. Something like this should have been fixed years ago. It just shows a total lack of commitment to quality at GM.
                        didnt kno it was spread throughout the cars like that from GM...

Comment

ok, so this morning i was movin my car from the driveway, and the squeak is back!!! they changed the sir coil under the steering wheel for the airbag under warranty..and the sound wasnt apparent for sometime until now..i hate havin to go back to the dealer for soo many lil issues all the time.

Comment

So are their brake rotors. I have had so many warped brake rotors with GM cars now I am afraid to apply my brakes hard. My i-shaft get greased every 3 months because it keeps making clunking sound. These are very annoying problems but I still love my G6 because overall, it still a very good car so far and will buy another GM tomorrow. Yes I agree things like that should have been fixed years ago and they should not be producing cars with known defects.

Comment

Took mine in for the clunking there changen the shaft out been waiting a week for the parts to come in but no luck my car has got 35k on it and this is the only problem i have had

Comment

Originally posted by sn95fox
                                Took mine in for the clunking there changen the shaft out been waiting a week for the parts to come in but no luck my car has got 35k on it and this is the only problem i have had
                                mine's got approx. 34k on it, and the only problems i have had is a faulty battery, a faulty remote, a bad sir coil, a bad passenger seat sensor for the airbag....

Comment

Working...
                                X