a/c questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c questions

jus have a few questions about the a/c on a 4 cyl. 2.4 in a 07...

these are pretty general though

does changing the speed of the a/c from speed 1 to speed 4 effect how much pressure the a/c clutch plate applies to the pullie (therefore cause use of more gas)

second, everyone says having the a/c on will kill gas mileage, does it really effect it THAT much, and does it effect it more if ur highway or city driving

this will come off as a cheap ass post lol but im just curious as to the 1st question more then nething, thanks for any quick help, nothing of urgent matter

From what I've heard, over 45 MPH use the AC. Under 45, open windows if you can take the heat. I've read it's because of the wind resistance but I'm unsure of actual numbers. The 6 gets pretty decent gas mileage so I don't worry about it. Now in my wife's Tahoe, that's a different story!

Comment

Re: a/c questions

no blower speed has no effect as thats just blowermotor speed which is electric

as fot the second q wild duce is right it does depend on speed and stuff like that

basically if you want to use it use it it wont seffect you more then a mile per gallon if even that

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

They tested this on Mythbusters..

"They got an SUV and attached a sensor that estimates mileage by measuring air flow to the engine. They did 15 laps around a track, with a constant speed of 45 MPH, measuring mileage as they went. They did 5 laps with the AC off and windows down. 5 laps with AC off and windows up. 5 laps with the AC on and windows up. No laps for AC on and windows down. Here are the results.

AC off, windows up = 11.7 MPG
        AC off, windows down = 11.3 MPG
        AC on, windows up = 11.7 MPG
        So, according to these tests, AC use does not impact mileage. Windows down hurts mileage about 5 percent. The better option is turn on your AC. Rolling down your window makes little difference at all. Apparently unsatisfied, they tried a totally new test, measuring mileage differently and even changed the variable of speed. This is important for the revisit which showed speed was very important. How they did second test is after the jump.

They get two SUVs and emptied the gas tanks. Then filled both tanks with exactly 5 gallons of gas. They both drive around the track, same loads, this time at 55 MPH. One SUV has AC off and windows down, while the other has AC on and windows up. The AC on and windows up SUV stopped first. The AC off and windows down SUV went a 15 percent greater distance."

Sorry for the grammar, I just stole it off some page.

Different results in the field and in the lab, you pick.

Comment

^^^ tell me you looked up there results
          i like the show too but i couldnt tell you those results off the top of my head lol

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Of course I did.. hence the quotes in the big write out section

... No way in hell Id remember the details! I normally drive A/c off, windows either up or cracked an inch to get the air flowing through the vents...depends how cold it is outside.

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedG6
              jus have a few questions about the a/c on a 4 cyl. 2.4 in a 07...

these are pretty general though

does changing the speed of the a/c from speed 1 to speed 4 effect how much pressure the a/c clutch plate applies to the pullie (therefore cause use of more gas)

second, everyone says having the a/c on will kill gas mileage, does it really effect it THAT much, and does it effect it more if ur highway or city driving

this will come off as a cheap ass post lol but im just curious as to the 1st question more then nething, thanks for any quick help, nothing of urgent matter
              The 1st question obviously is a no. The a/c clutch is either on or off, there is no in between.
              The a/c compressor causes a drag on the engine. So, it's going to affect the gas mileage to the extent that it's on. Having your a/c set to full cold will affect it the most. Depending on the outside air temp, mine is normally set to between full cold, and the center position. I don't have auto climate controls in my 6.
              Also, setting the air intake from outside air, to inside air, will help cool the 6 faster.
              So..to reduce the amount of time the a/c clutch is engaged, turn the temp control to a position other than full cold, and use inside air instead of outside air.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

This episode of MB was literally just on and to make it a little more simpler, above 50 use AC. Below 50 roll windows down.

Comment

i jsut drove from WY to CT 2 months ago... I got 29.4 mpg with the a/c off and 29.0 with it on.

the fan speed has nothing to do with the compressor, the compressor is on or off - all you do is adjust the speed of the blower fan
                  Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

Comment

awesome thanks guys,

1st question was just based on the blower moves faster moving more cold air, so i thought maybe the system would work harder, but that clears it up, awesome

other then that i had a feeling it didnt effect it to a huge extent,

thanks again!

Comment

Quick question maybe someone can help me, my ac compressor cycles on for 2 seconds then shuts off idk wtf is going on with it

Comment

Originally posted by jjeter92 View Post
                        Quick question maybe someone can help me, my ac compressor cycles on for 2 seconds then shuts off idk wtf is going on with it
                        Probably low on refrigerant

Comment

Sorry I'm replying so late it's actually at 100psi of refrigerant

Comment

Is that for the low side? It's a bit high for the low side. Should be between 25-55 depending on outdoor temp.
                            That's using a fill up gauge that you can buy with a can of refrigerant.

Comment

Working...
                            X