• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Road Racing / Auto X-ing Thread

Anyone running their 6 at the track?
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

I have done two auto x's. First one i took third in 'novice'. There was 24 cars. The autocross was run by the Texas A&M SCC so they might run things a little different than SCCA, but the novice class was open to any car but it had to be your first event and no points were awarded, just little trophys . I beat quite a few good cars, but keep in mind some of these guys had NO idea how to drive and I like to think that all of the driving simulators (read gt1-4 and Forza MS 1&2) have taught me a thing or two. Also my dad has taken several courses at the Bondurant school in Arizona and taught me everything he learned from that experience. Some of the cars I remember being raced against me that day were: late model Z28 Camaro, '05 Mustang GT, 06 Civic Si Coupe, R32 Volkswagen, 05 Nissan 350z, 1994 Ford Taurus (not SHO) .

The second one I did I was in the G-stock class and I took 6th. The only things in G-stock that day were Mini Cooper S's. There was a whole Mini club from houston that came up to race. I got my ass handed to me by those little bastards. But i still beat like 3 of them i think!

Honestly, this is the last car sold as a 'sport' coupe/sedan that i would ever take to the track to compete with, but thats also the exact reason why I bought it. It is a comfortable cruiser with just enough 'sport' built in to keep my right foot happy.

everyone needs to go watch the Top Gear on the Vauxhall Vectra and you'll see why this is the last car to take onto a tight track and race Mini Coopers and Miatas.

FF to about 3 minutes and that'll explain a lot.
    CATASTROPHIC UNDERSTEER FTW!
    here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5pyUMFI_4
    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

All FWD cars push, thats just the nature of the beast. What you do to it to not make it push so bad is what you need to figure out. Lower the back end and install a heavier sway bar in the rear. Throw in some sticky tires and you've got a good start.
      http://www.teamfri.com

Comment

Here is Banner Racing web site, check it out... http://www.leightonreese.com/

Comment

That is a sweet looking car Racer-X. Some other solutions to eliminating understeer are stiffer springs at the rear and keeping your rear tires at higher pressure than the front. Or we could have all just not bought a front wheel drive car.

I was curios if anyone has found some nice sporty 225/50-17 tires for the G6. I hate the stock Continentals

Comment

how could I get into something like auto crossing?
            I would like to take a performance drivers course, but what are the requirements for racing? And I don't even know if there's a track I could go to for all this. There's the Texas Motor Speedway, but I don't think there's a road track there.

edit: TMS does have a road course, but they don't seem to offer any driving classes where you can drive your own car.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

check the SCCA web site or the NASA web site (not the space agency). They are always hosting events in houston, as well as other local car clubs. Where I'm from, which is south of houston, at Gulf Greyhound Park, they have an auto cross every first weekend of every month. Saturday is practice day and sunday is race day. Sometimes they will let you drive on saturday for free if you can do some smooth talking.
              '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

here you go:

HPDE: High-Performance Driving EventYou have always wanted to know what “she could do”, but you know the streets and highways are not the place. NASA gives you and your car an easy, safe, and affordable way to get on the track! Learn MoreTime Trial: Compete for Best Lap TimeIn NASA Time Trial competition, anything goes, […]

This is where you find your fun. Houston SCCA offers car enthusiasts of all types opportunities for all levels of interest. These events are driving skill contests that emphasize the driver’s ability and the car’s handling characteristics by driving a

I'd do SCCA, it seems to be more laid back in houston, at least from the events I've been to. Its usually like 20 bucks. They have one coming up on Dec. 2nd at Gulf Greyhound.
                '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

I just watched the solo example video on the ssca site. I could not tell where they were supposed to be going. And it made me a little dizzy.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

you will walk the course before you drive. its not that tough to learn it.
                    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Parking lot cones been there, done that. I was in SCCA and I attended 2 events and that's all I could stand!!!!! Go here.... http://www.nasaproracing.com sign up and find your region. Look in the upcoming events and sign up for HPDE 1. You get class room instruction, a instructor in your car and limited passing. I know it costs a few bucks but its well worth it.

Comment

Re: Official Road Racing / Auto X-ing Thread

I went out and tore up some tires today. I came out at 6th place out of 30 cars in my class, and I made the 2nd best time, but I hit a cone *barely* and that put me to 6th. It was a lot of fun and the G6 surprised a whole lot of people who were betting against me. I got to ride along in my neighbors Chrystler Crossfire SRT-6 (nice little mercedes sourced roadster), and a friends Lexus IS300 with a turbo the size of a pizza (he claims 400 rwhp and I believe it), And the best ride of all that I got today was this bad boy I took pics with - 2007 Z06. Riding in it kinda changes your outlook on what a fast car is :warped:

'06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

5 wins in a row for the GXP-R in the Rolex.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                            .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

Working...
                            X