This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography Tips & How To's - Automotive & Other

So, I don't want to seem like a dick... i know it'll come off like that. but, after looking thru a lot of the pictures on here, I've spotted one little thing 'you' could do to get some better photos of your car. This doesn't apply to all, but sometimes i just see a picture and think how much better it would be if the high of the camera was dropped just a foot or so. Sooooo.....

Tip:
    When you go to shoot it, have the camera about hip high and stand back a ways. If you can zoom, play with that too. I'm going out now to shoot a photo, so I'll do two shots of one at eye level and another at the normal level I'd shoot it at. It'll be easier to see what I'm talking about then.

Generally, this tip applies to pretty much all photography subjects. Eye level, stinks. Even bending over so the camera is at nipple height will make a world of difference. This is why you always see photographers hunched over.

This isn't to say not to experiment. I've shot car photos from atop a ladder, but, those instances are pretty rare and usually it's the surroundings and not the subject that will dictate that.
    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

cool thanks for the tips

i like to drop to a knee to shot my car just for that reason
    cant wait to see the comparison pics

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

here is a tip... dont use your cell phone camera like that Pooners dude!
      Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
      Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
      WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I vote Sticky!

This is the one thing that I picked up after taking MANY shots of my cars. I find that it makes the car stand out way more in the photo.

Colin, as you know, I'm expanding on my photography skills while playing with this SLR, so any and all tips are welcome.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Well i got out and it started to rain a bit. Might be doing a sunrise shoot, so I'll see if I can remember to grab one then.

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Good tip. Does make a difference.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
            Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

I was an amateur photographer and I must say there really isn't a right way or wrong way, or a right height or a wrong height to take a picture. It all depends on what you want out of the photograph. The best way is to take a variety of shots at different heights and different angles, and with different focal lengths and different aperture settings and later pick out the ones that looks best.
              I have looked at almost all of the member's photos and there really isn't a camera height problem. If all pictures were taken at say belly height they would be too boring to look at. Some of the problems I see with the pictures are:
              Lighting...incorrect exposure level and/or having the subject backlit. In absence of a flash always have your main light source behind and above you.
              Background...pay attention to background and how it affects the total composition of the picture.
              Focal length...unless you want to create an artistic effect or to emphasize a particular part of the car don't use a wide angle lens setting because it will distort the car. Use a normal setting (50mm or above) and stand back to take the picture.
              These are just guidelines. The important thing is to have fun and be creative. Since we all know what the G6 looks like, don't make your pictures look like everyone else's.

Comment

Here's a post where I agree with you.
                There are many tips to give new and up coming photographers. The sun behind your back is the best one for someone who only wants to get that shot out there. Reduce the amount of glare. I have held a polarizer filter in front of my digital camera as well.

Colin does some awesome work. If you have that kind of aspirations, follow his work, and ask questions if you want to know how he got a particular shot.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Well when you go outside 50mm your not seeing what the eye sees.
                  I use to be a professional photographer (paid job).
                  I have been to many schools on the subject.

It has been over 10 years since I got out of that business and that
                  was back when 35mm ruled the earth.

Sticky it is!!

MODS:

Comment

well the camera you're using also makes a big difference as well. People who are into photography generally have ones that cost in the thousands, whereas most of the general public just have $250 digital cameras from Best Buy. My friend is into photography and he just bought a camera for $2200.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i normally sit on my butt

Comment

The camera doesn't matter. 3 of the four shots I've posted on here were all done at 50, 55 and 90mm~. The only one I did that was outside the realm of a normal person with a 300$ camera was the 10mm wide angle shot.

It is just a matter of moving back 20 ft. or so and zooming in. Don't try to capture too much, the car is the focal point.

I might go back and edit my post with a few real pointers, perhaps a how to even. I'll try to get some real example shots today if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                          well the camera you're using also makes a big difference as well. People who are into photography generally have ones that cost in the thousands, whereas most of the general public just have $250 digital cameras from Best Buy. My friend is into photography and he just bought a camera for $2200.
                          The camera only makes a difference in picture quality.
                          But to make a beautiful picture that is pleasing to the eye, it takes creativity and artistic talent. Photography is more of an art than science and electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
                            ... I'll try to get some real example shots today if I can.
                            YEAH!!!! I'll have to dust off my old stuff and see what I can do.
                            Now that the rain has stopped down here!

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MODS:

Comment

You have a killer digital Robert. Buy a couple cheap filters and hold them in front of the camera. The sun is so bright there, (when it's out) you need something to filter it.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X