This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photography Tips & How To's - Automotive & Other

any one of u selling old lenses for a Canon? i have a Canon Rebel XT and only 2 lenses 18-55mm and a 55-200mm, i have to use anything between 3.5-5.6 stupid XT body. should have gotten the XTi or the new XSi

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
      any one of u selling old lenses for a Canon? i have a Canon Rebel XT and only 2 lenses 18-55mm and a 55-200mm, i have to use anything between 3.5-5.6 stupid XT body. should have gotten the XTi or the new XSi
      I know this was posted a while ago but thought I would still chime in.

Just because you have an XT does not mean you need something 3.5-5.6, you can actually use any of the lenses that you want with it. If you have the money go for a nice L lens, they are worth it and may be better for what you want. Don't go cheap on your lens, it will probably out last the body.

The 18-55mm was the kit lens that came with your camera, it is an EF-S mount. The EF-S mount was designed for the compact sensor, which the XT has, even the XTi or XSi, all the way up to the current 40D. The regular EF mount lenses were designed for the full sensor camera, like the 5D and up, these lenses will also work on the rebels and 10/20/30/40D's. Just remember the EF-S mounts will NOT work on the 5D and up, so if you invest in them and want to upgrade to a high end body they will not work.

Also remember that since you have the compact sensor there is a ~1.6 crop (magnification) factor, so the 18-55 is really a 29-88mm in the 35mm equivalent, where the 5D and up do not have this crop factor. Most EF-S lenses have this in mind. For example, the EF-S 10-22mm is a great lens for wide angle. With the crop factor it is close to the 17-40 L that is designed for the full sensor.

Just some things to think about, it all depends on what you want to take pictures of.

I use a EF 28-135mm as an every day lens, it is a great all around lens and is reasonably priced. If you have the money get the 24-105L, that is over 2x the price but a fantastic lens too.

I also have a EF 50mm 1.8 I that is great for indoor pictures,
      a EF 75-300mm, telephoto, not too sharp and it is slow, a cheap lens
      and the EF-S 18-55mm, slow and not too good.

I am renting a 70-200 2.8L IS, it is an awesome lens, great for indoors too.
      I have used the EF-S 10-22mm, it is sweet for some landscape and wide angle pictures, this may be my next lens.

I have been using my Rebel XT for a while and love it, eventually I want a 40D, but it works good for now.

PM me if you have any other questions.
      Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

I will say this, though. For a "good" photograph, as opposed to a snapshot, I think the camera that you use has less to do with it and has more to do with compositional rules.

While my best work comes, of course, from my Nikon N70 with my Nikkor AF-G 28-100 and 70-300 lenses, I've gotten some damned good ones from my g/f's Emprex 4mp Digital camera.

Still, with what the topic states, If you want a good image, don't think about what you see--think about what you want to show, then go about getting that look following the rules of composition, lighting, and of course, knowing when yo break those rules
        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
        Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

FYI since I think I've read this elsewhere too:

The XT works just fine with fast lenses. I've use my XT with a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens
          and a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens (and the 10-22mm lens - yes I did end up buying that
          one too) all the time. I also have the cheap 50mm f/1.8 lens. And I've shot with
          it using a 200mm f/1.8L lens too.

Even though it works with those lenses and still takes great photos, I have to say
          I am tempted by the new 500D (Rebel T1i) coming out now. I think unless you're
          being paid to shoot that jumping higher to a 50D/5D/1D series isn't that necessary
          unless you honestly have outgrown the very few limitations of the Rebel series or
          you have money to burn.

Anyway, my XT is 4 years old but only has ~16,500 frames on it. I know I should
          keep it, but the bigger screen, 15MP, anti-dust, more AF points with an f/2.8 higher
          sensitivity center AF point and HD video of the 500D are all calling out to me to buy it....
          If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...

2011 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS

Comment

just get the Canon EOS 1DS Mark III

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
            so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
              just get the Canon EOS 1DS Mark III
              Interest rates are pretty low, I'm sure I could get a second mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by uscboy
                FYI since I think I've read this elsewhere too:

The XT works just fine with fast lenses. I've use my XT with a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens
                and a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens (and the 10-22mm lens - yes I did end up buying that
                one too) all the time. I also have the cheap 50mm f/1.8 lens. And I've shot with
                it using a 200mm f/1.8L lens too.

Even though it works with those lenses and still takes great photos, I have to say
                I am tempted by the new 500D (Rebel T1i) coming out now. I think unless you're
                being paid to shoot that jumping higher to a 50D/5D/1D series isn't that necessary
                unless you honestly have outgrown the very few limitations of the Rebel series or
                you have money to burn.

Anyway, my XT is 4 years old but only has ~16,500 frames on it. I know I should
                keep it, but the bigger screen, 15MP, anti-dust, more AF points with an f/2.8 higher
                sensitivity center AF point and HD video of the 500D are all calling out to me to buy it....
                I must say, that is a very good choice of lens's, although I would want a 24-70L in place of the 17-55. I agree that you should invest in your lens's and don't need the best body. Although I must say if you have such high end lens's why only a rebel body?

I just upgraded my XT for a 40D, the 40D is a better choice in my opinion (and a lot of others) than the 50D. Now I just need to sell my XT, it is a great camera, but there is just more that I wanted out of it, not to mention the rebel series is only expected to last half as long as the prosumers.

Comment

There aren't any overwhelming reasons to pay more for a 40D/50D than the current
                  Rebel series other than saying you have a more expensive camera. There are subtle
                  differences like gapless microlenses on the sensor on the 50D versus the 500D, but
                  honestly they're both excellent cameras capable of taking great photos. Plus, with
                  the rebel series when I want to go small I can take off the battery grip and big lenses
                  and put on the 50mm f/1.8 lens and it's a tiny camera.

I'm curious what 'more you wanted out of it'? Higher resolution, cleaner high ISO
                  and maybe the anti-dust sensor feature on the 50D are the only real valuable upgrades
                  to my XT unless you need the higher frames per second burst if you shoot sports or
                  something. Those are nice, but it's not like the XT is crippled without them.

The main reason to have high end lenses on a rebel body is money doesn't grow on
                  trees - I can only devote so many funds towards gear and money spend on good
                  glass is always money spent better than buying a higher end camera body. Plus,
                  the lenses are lifetime purchases, the body can be upgraded down the line. Though
                  I'd still buy the new 500D at this point over the 50D anyway.

Also, I wouldn't want the 24-70 as a walkaround on a 1.6x crop camera, 24 isn't wide
                  enough. It pairs well with the 10-22 I suppose, but that 17-24 range would have me
                  swapping the 10-22 on there a lot, and then I'd lose IS and f/2.8 capabilities. Now if
                  I had a 5D, then yeah, I'd have the 24-70 as my main walkaround lens and the 16-35
                  as my ultrawide. And don't let the "L" thing fool you, all reviews show that the 17-55
                  should have an L after it too.

Comment

i have a rebel xti and my pictures dont come out bad at all....

Its all in the technique you use...

You can have a hell of an expensive camera and not know crap about photography and come out with some shitty pictures.... oppose to someone that has a less expensive camera and knows a few things
                    A whole lot of mods and a freakin lesbo after me....
                    Originally posted by 08blackgt
                    hahaha i fukin love Darlene

Comment

i have takin some awesome pics with my point and shoot Canon Elf. but then taken the same pic with my XT and gotten a much better pic with it. one thing i do need is much better lenses. i only have 2 58mm EF-S 3.5-5.6 18-55mm Canon and a 55mm 4-5.6 55-200mm Sigma

Comment

I went with the 40D for a few reasons, most of which you said. Larger LCD, Cleaner pictures at higher ISO, smaller ISO increments, faster burst rate. The sensor cleaning feature is pretty nice. There is also the overall build quality of is better, it is not a plastic body, it fits my hands better (although the battery grip on the XT helps), it balances better with larger lenses, button layout is better/easier to use. The shutter life on the XT is 50k clicks where the 40D is 100k.

Don't get me wrong, the XT is a great camera, it takes fabulous pictures, I just wanted more out of it.

Comment

Just buy nikon and you end up with 10x more choice in lenses.

Plus, it's Nikon.
                          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Nikon's r great cameras. i also bought one until i found out i can use old Canon 35mm lenses on the Canon digital body so i went that route instead, but its pretty much do u like Canon or do u like Nikon.

Comment

Re: Photography Tips & How To's - Automotive & Oth

Sony A200.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                              TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                              Show
                              -20% tint
                              -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                              -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Re: Photography Tips & How To's - Automotive & Oth

Originally posted by leong6gtp
                                Sony A200.

Comment

Working...
                                X