steering clunk updated bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering clunk updated bulletin

the bulletin for the steering clunk has been updated this is the revised bulletin its nuber is 06-02-32-007B

Subject: Clunk/Knock/Rattle From Front of Vehicle When Driving/Turning over Bumps (Diagnose Noise - Lubricate Inner/Outer Steering Shaft, Reposition I-Shaft, Add Foam to Radiator Surge Tank Mounting Bracket) #06-02-32-007B - (05/21/2007)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu/Maxx

2005-2007 Pontiac G6

with Electronic Power Steering (EPS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years, include more conditions and additional information and update the warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-007A (Section 02 -- Steering).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition 1
    Some customers may comment on a clunk noise heard and felt in the steering wheel while driving at slow speeds and turning. The clunk noise may appear to be directly in front of the driver. Hitting a bump while turning can produce the clunk noise. Sometimes the noise may be duplicated when the vehicle is sitting still and the steering wheel is turned 90 degrees in either direction before initially centering the steering wheel.

Cause 1
    The clunk noise may be caused by the lack of lubrication between the inner and outer steering shafts.

Correction 1
    Important: DO NOT disconnect the intermediate shaft to lubricate.

Lubricate the intermediate shaft with GM Superlube using the procedure below:

From inside the vehicle, spray GM Superlube, P/N 12346241 (in Canada, use P/N 10953474), into the gap between the inner shaft and outer shaft at the steering shaft for about two to three seconds.
    Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and spray into the gap between the inner shaft and the outer shaft again for about two to three seconds.
    Wipe off any excessive lubricant that may run down the outer shaft with a shop towel.
    Cycle the steering wheel lock to lock for two complete cycles.
    Verify that the clunk noise is no longer present.
    If the clunk noise is still present, raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
    Check the position of the intermediate shaft as it connects to the steering gear. There may be an interference condition between the clamp and the steering gear input shaft. The clamp is beveled and if forced down on the input shaft too hard, it may cause a loose fit with the intermediate shaft to input shaft joint. To correct this condition, perform the following steps:
    7.1. Loosen the intermediate shaft pinch bolt at the steering gear end.

7.2. Pry the clamp up using a pry bar to position the bolt into the upper part of the groove as shown above. This will position the clamp off of the bevel.

7.3. While keeping the clamp in the upper position, tighten the bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 49 N·m(36 lb ft).

7.4. Verify that the clunk noise is no longer present.

Condition 2
    Some customers may comment on a knocking or rattling type noise from the front of the vehicle when driven at low speeds and over bumps. The noise only occurs when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position and sounds like the noise is in the left suspension of the vehicle or directly in front of the driver.

Correction 2
    Determine the source of the noise. Install the chassis ears at the following locations:
    • sway bar link, one side at a time

• upper strut mount, one side at a time

• steering gear near the pinion area

• base of the steering column housing

• radiator surge tank

If the noise is coming from the upper strut mount or sway bar link, replace as necessary and retest.
    For 2004-2006 model year vehicles, the noise may be coming from the radiator surge tank area. (The 2007 model year vehicles use a different style radiator surge tank - refer to Step 9.)
    If the noise is coming from the radiator surge tank, release the two retaining tabs holding the radiator surge tank and reposition the tank away from the attaching bracket and isolate with closed cell foam.
    Cut three pieces of closed cell foam, P/N P46515 (or equivalent), into 25 mm (1 in) by 102 mm (4 in) pieces.
    Cut two pieces of closed cell foam into 25 mm (1 in) by 6 mm (¼ in) pieces.

Install the three pieces of foam to the attaching bracket starting at the top center inside the bracket and proceed down across the fuel lines, then at the inside of the bracket at the left and right positions of the center piece of foam. Finally, install the last two pieces of foam to the inside bracket at the left and right extended sides behind the retaining holes as shown above.
    Reposition the radiator surge tank back onto the bracket and seat the two retaining tabs on the tank.
    Drive the vehicle to verify that the noise is no longer present.
    If the intermediate shaft position was correct, the I-shaft was lubricated, and the closed cell foam was added to the radiator surge tank bracket for 2004-2006 model year vehicles, then the noise the customer is hearing is from the rack gear and pinion gear contact internally in the steering gear. The steering gear should be replaced with the new part number gear listed below. Refer to the Power Steering Gear (EPS) Replacement procedure in SI.
    Parts Information
    Order Adhesive Back Shim Stock from Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT or online at http://www.kent-automotive.com.

Part Number
    Description
    Material Allowance

P46515
    Adhesive Back Shim Stock (25 mm x 30 ft roll) [15 mm (9/16 in) thickness]
    $1.60 per vehicle ($1.78 in Canada)

Part Number
    Description

15858368 (Base Gear)
    Steering Gear Assembly

15858369 (Restricted Travel Gear) (Vehicles with 17" Wheels)
    Steering Gear Assembly

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

yea i have this prob myself at the moment, still waiting on the dealer's call, they said they'll have to keep the car for a few days to fix it!!!! annnoyanceee!! most of the time it happens when i'm turning the wheel on either side and feel it more when reversing!!

Comment

when it states g6's with EPS, that means 4 cylinder and v6 trims NOT g6 or gtp since they have hydraulic right?
      Mike # 3!

Comment

I think the GTP has hydraulic WITH electronic assist....but I could be wrong. It's just most of the positive feel with the GTP comes from the hydraulic steering.
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

if you have hydrolic theres no electric assist

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

^ oh ok
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

clunk is gone, picked up my car from the dealer this morning !!! something that has to do with the steering wheel was changed. pheww..

Comment

Did it have a weird sound when you'd give it a little gas....like a gear-whine sound? Mine did after getting the gear kit installed

Comment

did you mean before the clunk got fixed or after? coz before it got fixed, i would feel a "jerk" from the steering wheel everytime i turn or apply gas and I would hear a sound as well.. nothing like that so far

Comment

well after, after I got mine fixed i heard a whine kinda coming from the steering column....no more clunks though...but now my clunk is coming back haha

Comment

damn, this sux !! did you take it back to the dealer? they'll probably be able to fix it right away before it gets worse..

Comment

I havent yet...and i'm at like 35,500 miles hahaha....I got it done at 33XXX

Comment

lol, good luck with it man ! I hope mine doesn't come back !!!!

Comment

What I was told by a few members here is that there might need to be shaft adjustment made or something....I'll call em up, but I think there should be some warranty that goes w/ this work.

Comment

Where did you get the full-text bulletin?
                              Did it cost you?
                              By the way, I think posting it online in full is a violation of the copyright.

-d
                              2007 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan 3.5L VVT V6 Granite/Black
                              Sun 'n Sound, DupliColor Red Calipers, Mobil 1 Oil System
                              GM Strut Brace, MPR Cold Air Intake
                              Vector Stealth PCM Tune 93 Octane
                              Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, 12" Orion Subwoofer
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2686122

Comment

Working...
                              X