No announcement yet.

steering clunk updated bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i belive they use the same rack but i do know that they do have electric steering as well so if nothing else the same type of rack

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Is this clunk like a real clunk or more like a clicking? I have a click sound not like click click click but one solid click. Coming from the car when I start out letting the clutch and and sometimes just randomly. I am taking it in when I'm home on thanksgiving break but is this what everyone is talking about?

Thanks in advance
      Official Lawbreaker of the SWO

06 G6 Coupe.
      MODS: Custom Flowmaster 80 exhaust, De-badged, MP racing intake, GM strut bar. 40% tint all around. Painted dart and battery cover. R1 premium drilled-slotted brakes front and rear. I think that is it but who knows what I will find and want to add to the car.

Comment

its a dull thunk/clunk type noise normaly heard when turning or going over bumps

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I've got the same clunk problem. About six months ago, I had the rack and pinion replaced under warranty for a different problem. Since then, the clunking started. I brought it to the dealer a couple of months ago. They couldn't duplicate it, and sent me home. Maybe now with this TSB.. Is it still current and valid? (under extended warranty?)
          '05 Silver 3.5

Comment

So, I take it that if your car is out of the warrenty, this is not a free fix, right?

I took my car in last month asking about this noise. They charged me $90 to look at the car, and said that they needed to replace the steering bearings for a total cost of $600.

I said no way, but I'm a little ticked that I didn't read this post earlier and that the GM folks didn't just recommend what this TSB said to do...

Comment

Originally posted by gwiz
              So, I take it that if your car is out of the warranty, this is not a free fix, right?
              Unfortunately, that's correct. How far out are you of your warranty? If not too much maybe you can go to a different dealer and see if they'll help you out. Especially since this is a common problem.

Comment

okay okay, you guys say this is in electronic stearing only (i had it fixed twice in my '05 GT) but now that i have '07 GTP (i assume this has the hydraulic steering), there is a clunk, but it's not felt in the steering wheel, i feel it in my gas pedal. Could this be the same problem?
                18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Originally posted by wild_deuce03
                  Unfortunately, that's correct. How far out are you of your warranty? If not too much maybe you can go to a different dealer and see if they'll help you out. Especially since this is a common problem.
                  It's an '06 (got it in May '06) and I have 60,000 miles on it. Surprisingly, or should I say, not surprisingly, I started hearing/feeling this clunk at about 37,000 miles (around January '07). It wasn't very bad or noticable then, so I didn't do anything about it, but, now, it's very noticable.

Comment

love this forum i have this problem as well! dealer told me it was nothing, don't worry! HA! eat this bulletin baby!
                    Red LED interior, custom floor & trunk lights - LED marker lights, Spider Lite tail lights (used bulbs instead of resistor -ask me how!) - Formula One Pinnaacle 15% Tint - Hard wired Cobra radar detector - Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI - next... white face gauges and a custom LED glove box light

Comment

Originally posted by Swampassjr
                      okay okay, you guys say this is in electronic stearing only (i had it fixed twice in my '05 GT) but now that i have '07 GTP (i assume this has the hydraulic steering), there is a clunk, but it's not felt in the steering wheel, i feel it in my gas pedal. Could this be the same problem?
                      with hydrolic steering you have an intermediate steering shaft thats making noise

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                        Originally posted by Swampassjr
                        with hydrolic steering you have an intermediate steering shaft thats making noise
                        Agreed. I just had mine replaced and it took over a month for them to get parts in.

sigpic
                        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Just had this problem fixed myself. They did the entire thing in about 5 hours and I had my car back. I guess that's the luck I have of having like 15 GM dealerships in the area all stocking parts :P
                          -Adam Moore

Comment

Finally got mine fixed today too. At 35,000 miles, the dealer replaced both the rack and pinion and also the intermediate shaft. About 2 months later, the clunking came back but now the car was out of warranty. Contacted Pontiac customer service and told them about my issue, they then contacted the dealer who ended up fixing the problem by performing this TSB(after I had to tell them about it). They also replaced both tie rods to fix the vibrations in the front end that they never fixed either. All this done with the car out of warranty but covered under warranty, thanks to Pontiac Customer Service.
                            It's like having a new car again. The ride is so much better and my car doesn't feel like a piece of shit anymore.
                            20% Tint all around, Custom Intake, Chrome Overlays, 4" Tips, Red Map/Dome Lights

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Always good the hear something good as well. Also a reminder for those nearing the end of their warranty's to get their cars to the dealer.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

the thread is a couple days old but I took my car in to the dealer to have about 6 things fixed on it including the steering clunk. Well when I called to schedule the appointment they had no idea what I was talking about so I jumped on here before I left and printed up the TSB and took that in. The service guy was blown away I had the TSB in my hands and just looked at me and said, OK we'll get right on that.

Well the car was supposed to be done at 1, that changed to 3, which changed to 530. Then the phone rings at 4 and I'm told the entire steering had to be replaced!!!!! so the car wouldn't be ready until tomorrow, no big deal as long as they get all the shiz replaced!!

Can't wait to get it back!!!
                                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                                X