steering clunk updated bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: steering clunk updated bulletin

how much did the new rack and pinion cost?
    2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

Comment

I had the same problem with my '07, and they had to replace the intermediate steering shaft. Only took a few hours to diagnose and replace it, been great ever since

Comment

I know this an old thread and I am not sure if anyone is still following it but how do you determine if it is exactly your I shaft or steering gear I have done the lube kit from GM and it helped with the clunk some what but did not get rid of it completely. Both parts are easy enough for someone with mechanical know how and the ambition to change out without paying a dealer and you can find the parts at several parts stores for cheaper than the dealer. the only problem is knowing if it is the I shaft or the whole steering gear, my car has the electronic steering so how do I know which one to replace? I really do not want to just swap out both parts unless I absolutely have to. Also the question I have is the clunking something that will cause the steering to fail or is it just more of an annoyance? I have been dealing with it for several months now and if it is something that absolutely needs to be fixed then I want to get on it right away but if not im going to wait until spring. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help provide some insight

Comment

I have scanned through this thread but maybe I missed the answer to my question. Sorry if I have.

Is there anyway to tell by VIN# or something if this recall applies to your g6? My 6 has started this clunking noise over the past few weeks and unfortunately the warranty just went out. If this is a recall will GM still fix this issue if warranty is out?
          Why is Divorce so expensive? Because the Hitman won't take Plastic.

Eycman's G6 Progression

Comment

it was never a recall on any year only a service bulletin

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn View Post
              it was never a recall on any year only a service bulletin
              So I take it I'm screwed then.
              Why is Divorce so expensive? Because the Hitman won't take Plastic.

Eycman's G6 Progression

Comment

I'm not sure if this is apart of this topic. But I finally discovered what has been making the insane clunking and grinding sounds when I hit a bump just right. It only happens on the driver side.

I found out that the sway bar on the passenger side I can fit my thumb between the bar and the control arm, but on the driver side I can't even fit my pinky finger in between the bar and the arm. and you can clearly feel a rough edge on the bar from past *clunking* on each other.

My question to the community, is can this be fixed? - also has this been a problem with others in the past, if so what is the resolution. I'm curious if the mechanics that installed my Quick struts, could it have been possible they didn't center the end-links or could the bar have just shifted?

I'll be having my Eibach's installed in two weeks by a friend, so I would think it would be ideal if this can be fixed beforehand.

I look forward to a reply.
                Last edited by Deathmage; 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM.
                Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Working...
                X