Timing chain or belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain or belt?

Does the 3.5 in the G6 have a timing chain or timing belt?? Is one better than the other??

Thanks
    2006 G6 Sedan...V6, K/N Filter, SS Magnaflow exhaust tip, SS Magnaflow 4" round.

since its not overhead cam I imagine it has a timing chain, don't think GM is too fond of timing belts.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Timing Chain.
      Colin.
      06 G6 GTP. 6spd.
      92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid N/A 13.99 @ 95.22mph
      90 Talon TSi -13.76 @ 99.41

Comment

Timing chains stretch over time therefore cause timing deviations. Also they are noisy. But they are maintenance free and last the life of the engine.

Timing belts do not stretch therefore precise timing is always maintained. They are also quiet. But they do eventually wear out and break so periodic replacements are required. If the engine is of an interference design, a timing belt breakage will cause major damage.

Comment

Chains do stretch, but not nearly as quickly as timing belts. A chain is more likely to break all together. I know of one GM engine thats prone to belt failure, the 2.4L Twin Cam. Garbage after 80,000.
          2007 G5 Base Model
          Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

8000 pages in the service manual and no mention of timing belts or chains. Looks like its no worries as it will never need service!
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Re: Timing chain or belt?

So.... I just wanted to add my two cents to this old thread. I have been thinking about this question and since I'm almost at 100,000 miles I need to see when I need to change mine before it breaks. I am going to try to inspect mine to see how it looks. I hope I don't have to change mine while I keep the car.

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
                So.... I just wanted to add my two cents to this old thread. I have been thinking about this question and since I'm almost at 100,000 miles I need to see when I need to change mine before it breaks. I am going to try to inspect mine to see how it looks. I hope I don't have to change mine while I keep the car.
                This is a really old thread lol, but a lot of us are 200,000 plus miles and never have had to do it, I'm gunna say save your time and don't worry. Remember it's a chain, there good for a long while, if it were a belt then yeah 100,000 would be a good time to check or just replace if not already done, but don't worry bro your covered for a while.
                I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less... I'm telling my g6... Go faster!!!

Progression Page
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...t=26265&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by GMManof3 View Post
                  You'll just be wasting your time and money going in to check on it. Timing chains do stretch over time, but it's not significant. Even then with OHV you're far less likely to have issues. The chain is probably 8-10 inches long. 99.999% of the time, under normal conditions, with an engine like ours that isn't know to have timing chain issues (unlike the 3.6) something else will kill your engine way before an old timing chain will.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks for the suggestion. Awesome!

Comment

FYI, the 2.4L Twin Cam has a chain. When I had my water pump changed, I had the chain, guides and hydraulic chain tensioner changed for peace of mind on my 145k mile Cavalier. BIG MISTAKE! Used an aftermarket tensioner which failed after only 100 or so miles. Chain loosened and slipped on the cam gears. Interference engine so it's toast. Up until then, good trouble free car. I'll miss it.

Comment

Working...
                      X