Steering Wheel Clunk a Recall yet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Clunk a Recall yet??

From the amount of people complaining about the clunk, you'd think it would be a recall.....is it yet?? Also, if there is a TSB for your vehicle but you aren't within your warranty period anymore, do you still have to pay to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Anthony
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

TSB's are covered under the warranty only as long as you still have warranty. If you are outside of your warranty coverage, you will have to pay for any work done that isn't a recall or goodwill.

They won't make this a recall as it isn't a safety issue.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

they could (highly unlikely) make it a special policy where they extend the warrenty on just that. they dont do it often but they have done it. normally way after the fact though. the one that comes to mind right now is s-10 tailgate straps are now covered for 10 years or 100k miles i think thats what it is

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I mean its stupid, mine came back after 2 months (the clunk)...I also had the gear redesign kit installed, blah blah blah....

I just wondered cause I'm getting close to 36K miles so I guess I'd better take it in for all the crap...this car has been a major hassle!
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

a clunking sound over time definitely can't be good.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i have some noise coming from my steering when i turn the wheel in very low speed situations like parking lots. vibrates the steering wheel and just makes a vibration noise. its been going on since i bought the car but nothing has broken yet. i wouldn't call it a clunk but is this what everyone else is experiencing?
            '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

I had thought the clunk was limited to the electric steering models. Maybe not. I've never had the clunking problem but I did have the vibration/whirring noise issue G6cpM6 mentioned. A new power steering pump fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                I had thought the clunk was limited to the electric steering models. Maybe not. I've never had the clunking problem but I did have the vibration/whirring noise issue G6cpM6 mentioned. A new power steering pump fixed that.
                the clunk noise is limited to the electric power steering system

have some noise coming from my steering when i turn the wheel in very low speed situations like parking lots. vibrates the steering wheel and just makes a vibration noise. its been going on since i bought the car but nothing has broken yet. i wouldn't call it a clunk but is this what everyone else is experiencing?
                this sounds like a pump issue or just being low on fluid if its electric maybe the motors going bad

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

jnak- how did you get a new ps pump? warranty?
                  '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Originally posted by G6cpM6
                    jnak- how did you get a new ps pump? warranty?
                    Yup.

Comment

yay for me. goin in saturday. thats been bugging the hell out of me since a week after i got the car.
                      '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

OK, so help me out here. TSB's are new to me. I have the same issue with the "clunk". I thought it was just supposed to be that way. Since there is a TSB out for it, should I be able to take it to the dealer and get it fixed for nothing since I'm still under the 36k? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wild_duece03
                          OK, so help me out here. TSB's are new to me. I have the same issue with the "clunk". I thought it was just supposed to be that way. Since there is a TSB out for it, should I be able to take it to the dealer and get it fixed for nothing since I'm still under the 36k? Thanks.
                          yes as long as your also under the 3 years

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info. Guess it's off to the dealer this weekend!

Comment

I had mine in to have this fixed too, they replaced the steering gears. Now a few months later it started up again I had to make an apointment. Bringing your car in for service is such a pain, they are only open the same hours as normal people work, so you have to take time off. It would not be as big of a problem if they give you a loaner car, but the only way to have it payed for under warrenty is if the repair will take over 8 hours, who knows how long my repairs will take, it depends on when they can get to it. Why do I have a feeling they will make me wait there for 8 hours and then say well it is over 8 here is a rental, grr.
                              Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

Working...
                              X