This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO - remove the intake resonator in one piece way # 2

I took note of the first write up on how to do this effectively, and although it is fairly easy to do it this way, i found a way to do it a little easier.

Tools Needed: clip puller (back end of a hammer works fine for this), Pliers - that's it.

First, you want to jack your car up (floor jacks work best) on the passenger side, and remove the front passenger tire.

Second, if you look in the wheel well around the edges near the front and under the front bumper you will notice about 6 push clips. these can be released with the back end of the hammer, or if you have the clip tool use that, and remove all of the clips that are attached to the front piece of your wheel well.

Third, you will also notice about 3 bolts (two in the wheel well and one under the bumper) that hold this piece in place. you can use the pliers, or find the correct wrench to remove these.

fourth, once all of these clips and bolts are removed, the well piece is ready to be opened. now keep in mind, i never actually took the whole whell well piece out, just removed enough fasters that i would be able to work iinside the bumper. anyhow, if you pull this piece back a ways, and look inside the corner of your bumper, you will see the intake resonator. now on mine i had one bolt, and 2x rubber plugs to remove in order to take it out.

Fifth, if you have the bolt, it will be closest to the wheel well, and easiest to access through this point (hence the reason for this write up - ease of access) unscrew the whole bolt, and remove. NOTE - you will not need this bolt, it is no longer neccessary when the resonator is taken out of the car. after the bolt is removed, just pull on the other two connection loactions until they loosen. mine basically fell out of the car once i removed the bolt. don't worry, you won't break anything.

Sixth, now here comes the part where you need to be carefull. pull the entire unit out of the whell well. if you need more room to pull it out, take out more clips, and pull the wheel well down further. DO NOT PULL THE BUMPER VERY HARD. YOU WILL SPIDER YOUR PAINT.

Once you get the unit out of the wheel well, just put all of your clips and bolts back, and put your tire back on your vehicle. the whole process took me about 40 minutes. this is mainly because i am a computer mechanic, and not a car mechanic, so changing a tire to me is a bigger deal than to most. i wish now that i had taken pictures, but if anyone tries this and is willing to snap photos, that would be great. in case there is anything i left out, please let me know, and i will ammend this post. until then happy modding! :warped:
    2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Making the world go round since "1981"

This is EASIER?

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

i havent done mine, yet.

this sounds like a good way to do it, but way more confusing!

i think ill just rip that beotch out if it doesnt wanna come nicely. in fact ill probably just end up getting the Box anyways. thats the easiest way out of all of em
      -Lucy-
      2006 Silver Gt Coupe
      3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
      sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

believe it or not, removing the air box SOUNDED easier to me, but then i ran into things like some kind of solid tubing connected to it, then not knowing where the bolts were to actaully take the box out, etc etc. for me it was just simpler to do it this way. i may have overwritten it a little, but simlified the instructions are

1 remove wheel

2 remove front wheel well piece

3 remove intake resonator

4 reinstall all parts remove (except intake resonator)

Just meant this post to be an alternative method if others had the same issues i did. let me know if you guys try it, and how easy you found it to be.
        2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Making the world go round since "1981"

Comment

This works fine. I chose not to cut mine up (in case I wanted to put it back for whatever God unknown reason).

It was actually easier getting the resonator out than it was removing the headlamp assembly.

jerij

Comment

Mine was actually bolted in in the back. Soooooo
            a wratchet later and it was out!
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

So was mine......so it came out in 3 pieces.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

mine kinda snapped as i was taking it out, the damn tab wouldn't pop off in the back so I sorta twisted and "pop" i was like yes I got it, then I realized the bottom piece broke off.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Here's some pics I found from removing my Resonator:

Naked wheel well

Lower shroud/ground effects

Resonator in place

Resonator gone

Resonator ready for the trash

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543500/1

Comment

Re: HOW TO - remove the intake resonator in one piece way # 2

tore my car apart and there was nothing there. I guess when it was smashed they never replaced it......... GDI I wanted to hear the difference.

<div style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;">Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign</p></div>

Comment

Re: HOW TO - remove the intake resonator in one pi

i just took my bumper off...

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

Did this change today. Pretty much the same process, but used a pair of angled needle nose pliers to pull the clips. The bolt for me was at the top against the engine wall of the car. It wasn't so bad to get out. However, I did leave the outside pull tab clip in. Once the bolt was out everything hung on that clip, and it was a bit of a paint to get to the tab to pull it out.

I was skeptical at first, about the changes, especially after seeing that the resonator looks like its really a straight pass through for the air. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

After I took it out though and took the car out for a quick ride, I am pretty impressed with the intake growl you get. Nowhere near a V8s suction sound, but it will def. bring attention when you go to step on it. I would equate this mod to when the old V8 carb. guys would flip the lids of the air filters over for Friday nights at the drive in. Yes we had them when I was younger.

The throttle response does seem to be a bit better. But, I have never had a complaint with this cars throttle response.

Luckily, I was finally able to nail down 3 consistent tanks of gas with an avg MPG of about 21. Now we'll see over the next 3 tanks, if it changes with this mod, I am hoping the ECU will catch up over the next 50 or so miles left on this tank.

This was a pretty easy mod and with air tools helping me with the tire changing, only took about 30 mins. So far it's the most impressive mod I've made to the car, but I do think its a mixture of the K&N drop in and the resonator removal that's made the big difference.
                        2006 RED GTP Coupe - K&N Drop in, Tinted windows, Debadged 'cept GTP, Red (Duplicolor) Calipers, Intake Resonator Removed
                        Coming Soon -Powered 10" Sub, Racing alignment, Cat back Exhaust????

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus
                          Did this change today. Pretty much the same process, but used a pair of angled needle nose pliers to pull the clips. The bolt for me was at the top against the engine wall of the car. It wasn't so bad to get out. However, I did leave the outside pull tab clip in. Once the bolt was out everything hung on that clip, and it was a bit of a paint to get to the tab to pull it out.

I was skeptical at first, about the changes, especially after seeing that the resonator looks like its really a straight pass through for the air. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

After I took it out though and took the car out for a quick ride, I am pretty impressed with the intake growl you get. Nowhere near a V8s suction sound, but it will def. bring attention when you go to step on it. I would equate this mod to when the old V8 carb. guys would flip the lids of the air filters over for Friday nights at the drive in. Yes we had them when I was younger.

The throttle response does seem to be a bit better. But, I have never had a complaint with this cars throttle response.

Luckily, I was finally able to nail down 3 consistent tanks of gas with an avg MPG of about 21. Now we'll see over the next 3 tanks, if it changes with this mod, I am hoping the ECU will catch up over the next 50 or so miles left on this tank.

This was a pretty easy mod and with air tools helping me with the tire changing, only took about 30 mins. So far it's the most impressive mod I've made to the car, but I do think its a mixture of the K&N drop in and the resonator removal that's made the big difference.
                          So does this make the intake pretty restrictive? And did you notice any difference in the Butt Dyno or just a difference in sound? I need to replace the filter on teh car due to when i bought it i found dirt under it and alot of other crap. Also if I remove this will it make the car run lean without a tune?
                          2008 Pontiac G6 Sedan 4 Cyl.
                          1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 14.157 @ 97.8mph for now. New Parts Awaiting Installation.

Comment

Originally posted by rynoman03

So does this make the intake pretty restrictive? And did you notice any difference in the Butt Dyno or just a difference in sound? I need to replace the filter on teh car due to when i bought it i found dirt under it and alot of other crap. Also if I remove this will it make the car run lean without a tune?
                            The best way to look at it is that it serves no purpose other than to lower the noise level. When I removed mine the change in throttle sound was small but noticeable. When I added the CAI my gas mileage really improved, my throttle response was a bit better, and the sound was better.

Taking out the intake resonator alone, or adding a better filter (like the K&N) are both a little helpful, but combined (short-ram or CAI) they are better than the sum of their parts.

The car will not run lean and the chip should adapt to whatever minor changes take place in the way the car runs. I personally chose not to press too hard on the gas at first, but I am not sure that is necessary.

edit: I took this out through the wheel well but I think getting to it is easier through the headlight. I am not so sure about removing it through the headlight though, that would probably require some cutting so ultimately I think either way is a pain but either way is worth it.

edit: woops didn't see you had the 2.4.
                            Planned mods:
                            HSRK, motor mounts, tinted tail lights, ECM/TCM/whatever tune, hood struts, HIDs, white and blue gauge cluster and CD/menu screen LED swap, GTP rear valance, GXP front bumper, GT-R exhaust
                            Finished/in-progress:
                            2/8/09 - removed intake resonator | 3/21/09 - installed Injen clone stage 4 CAI
                            3/23/09 - 30% tint w/eyebrow
                            12/2014 - 2008 stereo install (for aux in)

Comment

Your operating from the standpoint that you have the same engine. You dont.
                              Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Working...
                              X